Lt. Commander
# 111
01-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll just post my experience with this style of moderation: The Marvel Comics forums.

It didn't work too well having specific members of the community given moderation powers. There was too much abuse, and way too much bias.

For example you couldn't make a joke about The Avengers without one very diehard Avengers fan who was a moderator through their program taking it way out of context and then taking action against you.

That was just one example. You mix in Sider-man fans, and various X-Men fans, and it was just an overall horrible forum experience due to the fans themselves, along with all of their biases, coming together and not even agreeing on any form of consistent moderation.

The community/customers already have their own agenda and biases. So making them moderator is already doing it from a negative.

But hey, whatever you all think will work. I've never seen that type of program work. Marvel just happens to be the most egregious example I've experienced.

EDIT:
Quote:
If a Community Moderator is found to not be moderating the forums fairly, and impartially, we will remove them from their position. Simple.
I wish it were that simple. But the problem is ... this type of abuse does happen in these programs. And the overall impact of such negative behavior is huge. Recovering from that kind of damage is never simple.
Lt. Commander
# 112
01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Based on the link BranFlakes just posted all the Mods can do is remove content they find troublesome via editing or closing threads. They cannot impose Infractions - though I assume they would direct Bran or Stormy to threads they felt deserved Infractions. That does not seem to be a big deal - and even with "professional" moderators personal bias will still come through.
Lt. Commander
# 113
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
As I've asked before; Can we have more people monitoring ESD zone chat, please?
Lt. Commander
# 114
01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
The new Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies are now in effect. Please make sure to read through them thoroughly, and that you understand and abide by them going forward.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I take it we are no longer allowed to post in the forums. I will skip the formalities and go straight to my ban.

Ok I was just kidding... Owww
Lt. Commander
# 115
01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
I take it we are no longer allowed to post in the forums. I will skip the formalities and go straight to my ban.

Ok I was just kidding... Owww
Those are almost identical to the forum rules which have been in place for that last 2 years so I'm not sure what you're finding so surprising.
Lt. Commander
# 116
01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Those are almost identical to the forum rules which have been in place for that last 2 years so I'm not sure what you're finding so surprising.
I was joking LOL
Lt. Commander
# 117
01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpock View Post
As I've asked before; Can we have more people monitoring ESD zone chat, please?
Yeah I think it's funny that you have several different devs saying that they limit their interaction on the forums because it's so bad here. When ESD chat is like a million times worse LOL.
Lt. Commander
# 118
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Honestly in no disrespect but I won't be giving any more feedback until the moderators are Cryptic Employees or Perfect World Employees and not players with grudges against other players. It has already started but I do have a faith in both companies that they will see the error in this program and hire some quality employees like they have been. Pretty much though I am inclined not to read or post in forums anymore because of this.
Lt. Commander
# 119
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
3 month old forum tickets have vanished without a trace. WTG, Cryptic. Tell us to use a forum ticket system then never even read or reply to them. Talk about treating the customers bad.
Lt. Commander
# 120
02-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hey gang!

I’m really pleased to announce that we’ll be instituting a Community Moderation Program on the Champions Online, and Star Trek Online forums.

Along with this, we’ll also be the first forums to implement the new PWE Community Rules and Policies.

First, let’s talk about the new rules and policies:

Essentially, these are the same rules and policies you’re already used to, with some minor changes to help take into account the differences between PWE and Cryptic games, and an introduction of the rules regarding community moderators. The rules themselves are not changing for Cryptic titles, but how we enforce them will be. I’ll have the new Rules and Policies Document up in the Announcements section shortly, so you can all see exactly what is changing.

Since we don’t want your fellow players to have the ability to ban others from the forums, we’ll be reducing the point value of all infractions to zero. Our community staff will be kept aware of any issues with troublesome posters, and will still be able to issue forum suspensions or bans. We expect that community members will notice a sharp decrease in any suspensions or bans. Instead of having the VBulletin software issue suspensions and bans automatically based on the point values from infractions, we will be assigning them manually, at the Community Managers’ discretion, with the assistance of the community moderators.

Due to this, the first time a Community Manager suspends you, you will receive a 3 day suspension, then a 1 week suspension, followed by a 2 week suspension, and should you garner our attention a 4th time, a permanent ban from the forums. This system will be using the current infraction point system.

Now, let’s talk about the new Community Moderators:

When a need for more moderators is identified by the Community Manager, they’ll post a thread, indicating the need, how many are needed, and the process for applying. For Champs, and STO, we’ll be asking people from the community who are interested to submit a community ticket from our support site, with the subject “Community Moderator Application”.

Right now, we’re looking for 3 moderators for Star Trek Online, and 2 moderators for Champions Online.

The ticket should include your time zone, any relevant experience you may have, and why you would like to join our team of community moderators.

We’ll also include a day when we will stop accepting applications. Since this is our first time out, we’re going to accept applications received by January 13th, 2012. We’ll review the applications, and contact interested parties who we believe would best fit the role to perform a brief online interview.

Using the interview, we will narrow the field further, and select our top candidates. If we have more acceptable candidates than we have positions, then we will be posting a poll, which will allow the community to have the final choice in the matter. The poll will last for one week, and close after that time. Winners of the poll will be contacted, and enter a 30-60 day probationary training period, where they will work with us to learn the ropes.

As this is our first time out, we hope to have new community moderators on the forums by January 20th, 2012.

It is important to understand that community moderators are completely unpaid. Community moderators are in no way required to work any specific hours, meet any quota, and may post as much or as little as they choose to. They are not paid in any way, shape, or form, and do not receive any compensation or perks for the time they choose to spend moderating the forums.

Should you be selected to become a moderator by the community, you may choose to leave the position at any time you choose, and may be removed from the position by the PWE Community Team at any time if deemed necessary.

If you have any questions about this new program (We’re sure you do!) you may ask by replying to this thread. If you have a question regarding the new Rules and Policies Document, please file a Community Ticket.

Thanks,

Stormshade

bad idea... many have done this and each time shown it fails.
of course I am assuming you would listen... but, go ahead learn yourselves.
Closed Thread