Lt. Commander
This has been torquing me off for the last couple of weeks....

I have been trying to finish the "Crystalline Catastrophe" Mission, to repeatably be foiled not by the large shards (learned to avoid them while still attacking the entity itself) but by other players.

I keep telling them to do as i do, but they continually attack the large shards, which everyone knows is the best way to get it from 12% to 98% within a matter of seconds.

It only takes one player, laying mines so the large shards blow into smaller ones, and head straight back to the CE.

For anyone about to attack the CE, here are some tips, PLEASE pay attention to a couple of notes.

1: TAKE SOME FRIENDS. You are going to need a lot of ships, you need to dish out more DPS than it can heal.
2: WATCH YOUR MINES. You may use mines, but stop using them when the CE reaches around 30% Large shards+mines=healed CE and a major headache
3EDAL TO THE METAL. You can click on the extra power to engines setting, and fly around the CE in a clockwise, or counter clockwise direction, the Fragments/shards will not be able to catch up.
4: DO NOT CHARGE THE CE, it is a great way to run right into the Shards/fragments it dishes out, and kill yourself
5: IGNORE THE LARGE FRAGMENTS, no matter what you use to destroy them, they will break into small fragments, and heal the CE.
6:KEEP MOVING, if you sit still ,fragments hit you, you die.
7:ABC's...Attack Patterns alpha and beta are your friends...

Please please follow these tips, I want to kill the CE next time I try, I have only had this game for a little while, I know how it can be killed, but it only takes ONE person to screw it up. I want to get it done and out of the way.

THANKS ALL!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-12-2010, 10:55 PM
If anyone has any other input, go ahead and post if here.

Or if you have other "dumb player" issues, bring those forth as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I finally just gave up. I tried to beat the mission about 6 times, and always had one or more jackasses purposefully ruining it for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Let me know when you want to try it again. I will go an fight it with you. It will be nice to have someone who knows what they are doing. I am gave up after getting yelled at by a bunch of tools who had no idea what they were doing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsolonian View Post
5: IGNORE THE LARGE FRAGMENTS, no matter what you use to destroy them, they will break into small fragments, and heal the CE.
Wrong.
If you use Mines or Heavy Yield Plasma Torpedoes or Tri-Cobalts, they blow up and release shards that travel back to the CE and heal it. If you destroy them with other weapons, they might create shards, but these do _not_ travel to the CE to heal it.

The ultimate guide to the Crystal Entity is here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=148543
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Other players will grief you because they can. They will let you get it low then heal it just to spite you. Welcome to the world online gaming. You can think they are just stupid all you want. The reality might be that they are doing it just to make you scream because they enjoy that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I think that missions generates hate like no other. It took me 2 and a half weeks of logging in every and giving it a try for a few hours before I finally got with a group that knew what they were doing and we got the thing defeated. But like others were saying, most of the time it was some jack ass flying in when we would get it to about 20% or lower and blow up the big shards. There needs to be some sort of reporting system for players that knowingly do this. It's not like he didn't know. Everyone was typing "DO NOT SHOOT THE BIG SHARDS!!" in the chat box. Very annoying.
Lt. Commander
Thanks for the advice. I did not know that I should not try to take out the large shards. I asked someone during gameplay on the Comm Badge and got no response. I was ignored.

Instead what I saw was someone saying how we were you know what ups. You fill in the blanks.

This was not helpful and who knows if there were children online.

Secondly, that is just plain rude.

With a little patience and understanding we could have beat the CE since it was down to 30 percent. But instead other players thought they were better than the rest of us. And some of us get distracted and perhaps don't know to look at the Comm Badge Messages during gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsolonian View Post
If anyone has any other input, go ahead and post if here.

Or if you have other "dumb player" issues, bring those forth as well.
I didn't see where to make this suggestion in the List of Discussion Topics, so I'll make it here.

Please, Please, Please, enable us to actually make a Private Room for Crystal Entity. Keep the public one, that's fine... but to get into Crystal Entity, I have to pull up the Fleet action que and go into the "Already in Progress" List and choose to join an already existing room for CE... The ONLY one available. If you could allow us to create our own private room, as you do for the other fleet actions, then that could seriously relieve the majority of the grief you hear for this mission.

I mean.... Just earlier today I saw where the only Crystal Entity Room had been running for more than 2 Days on the Active Timer. 2:??:??:??.

Let us make our own room for it.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Because I want to make sure that everyone sees this, here it is. This is the Walkthrough on the STO Wiki:

Crystalline Entity Walkthrough

You can also go into my signature, and read the thread there.

Here's an excerpt:

Common Misconceptions (The following are TRUE)

Healing
The Crystalline Entity can only heal in two ways:

Innate healing of 3% of its total hit points every 40 seconds, regardless of anything else.
Small Fragments that return to it give the CE 1% of its total hit points. These only form when Large Fragments explode (note that Large Fragments will not appear unless the CE's health is below 33%).
The regular Crystalline Fragments will not heal the Entity, only deal heavy damage to your ship.

Destructible Objects
Destructible objects are anything besides your ship: mines, heavy torpedos, boarding parties, support craft, etc. These are not useful when the CE is below 33% health because of the healing from Small Fragments, but at higher health levels can be used. At higher health levels these might be a way to clear out the fragments faster. In general, a different ability or weapon would be more useful instead.

Scramble Sensors
The Scramble Sensors ability at one point would stop all fragments from moving for several seconds and several science vessels with this would prevent the CE from being able to attack anyone. This has not been the case since Season 2.

Repel and Knockback
An update in Season 4 made it so that the Crystalline Entity could not be knocked back or repelled, though this can (presumably) still be used on fragments.

Low Health
Below 33%, the Entity begins to send off Large Fragments (3% of CE's hit points), which are faster and do nearly twice the damage of regular Fragments. If they explode from hitting a starship or destructible object they will then spawn three Small Fragments (0.15% of CE's hit points), which then head back toward the Entity, carrying the energy from their splintering back to it to heal it for 1% of its health each 3% total.