Lt. Commander
# 31
02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunofVich View Post
I do think they put that pop--up their because it is not with in Cryptics power to fix the problem. Its a driver issue. Its ATI's unwillingness to fix it.

Turning off Dynamic Lighting fixed all my crashing problems. The only thing I have that annoys me at times is shadows on the ship models flicker, but only flicker when the ship in moving, its odd. Only way to get rid of that is to turn shadows to low but then everything looks crap.

TBH though Shadows in most games with ATI cards look crappy. I think Supreme Commander is the only game I have where the shadows look decent.
So you're saying that no other game among the 20 or so others that I play employ dynamic lighting? I find this very hard to believe, because that would be the only explanation to the fact that I NEVER crash in ANY other game.
Lt. Commander
I downloaded the ATI Tray utility mentioned in Loxanna's post found here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...6&postcount=34

Now mind you, I did not change any settings, I merely launched the tool and verified that everything was set the way Loxanna recommended (thanks loads, BTW), including the "Geometry Instancing" box. Seeing that everything was apparently configured properly, I closed the utility and re-launched STO, planning to grab some screen shots to link to my tech support ticket and... EVERYTHING LOOKED GREAT! No more "artifacting". I have no idea why this worked, but it did. For all you ATI users, give this a try (and please note, the tray utility IS NOT the "Catalyst Control Center" provided by ATI. The link is in Loxanna's post).

I am running the latest Catalyst drivers (v10.1) and DirectX 11.

See you somewhere in the Alpha Quadrant...
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelmar View Post
I have the same problem as above with my wifes comp but she runs the ATI Radeon HD 4650. we installed the game and it required a driver update. I did the update and now the game is unplayable random colors, blackouts you name it. did something get missed in the last patch I have reinstalled the drivers about 20 times thinking its on our end

Please cryptic help me get her as hooked on the game as I am
Im using the ATI Radeon HD 4650 also and have no problems so far. I use the latest driver from AMD as well for this card. Once today, around 3:00pm EST (-500GMT) the card just dumped everything and rebooted the computer, but that was it.

Lt. Commander
# 34
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Tymmicus,
Man you are awesome as is Loxanna.
You both rock. It works great. Thanks very much.
I was getting worried there for a bit after getting the life time membership and not being able to play =D
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Yurai- It's nice to be able to help someone for a change; I'm usually whining about something or another..lol. I'm glad that worked out for you. Happy gaming!
Lt. Commander
After trying to get on for so long and getting ticked off and and quitting the game and closing my account....

Then, trying to return and submitting a ticket and being told to try this and that...and also being told to update my drivers to the latest rev...this is the issue.

And yes, Cryptic new I had ATI HD 4800.

Wow....

I tried the suggestions above...no luck yet. And where is Cryptic in this? Who knows...no help whatsoever. Of course, they act like I am the only one with issues.