Lt. Commander
# 1 STO and hyperthreading
01-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Does STO have hyperthreading support or does it run faster with HT disabled in BIOS? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abohac View Post
Does STO have hyperthreading support or does it run faster with HT disabled in BIOS? Thanks.
Hyper-Threading is actully more of an operating system issue then a Application issues... If a application has multiple threads, and can run a multiple cores (like STO can...) it doesn't care if runs on a real CPU or a virtual CPU that Hyper-Threading emulates, as the existance of Hyper-Threads are invisible to the application...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I see what you mean, however if there is no specific optimisation for ht (like the recently added in wow) games run faster on a system which has ht disabled.
I assume that sto has no particular optimization quad core or even ht.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abohac View Post
I see what you mean, however if there is no specific optimisation for ht (like the recently added in wow) games run faster on a system which has ht disabled.
I assume that sto has no particular optimization quad core or even ht.
On the game-level there is no distinction between dual-core, quad-core or HT. The game simply starts a number of so-called "threads", which are things that run code that is not directly interdependent. It is then up to the operating system to assign these threads to specific cores (be they physical cores or virtual HT-cores). On a single-core machine, the threads will have to take turns in doing their computations, while on a machine with multiple CPU-cores they can run in parallel.

The problem is that most games only have about 2 threads that actually do something (there will be more threads than just 2, but most willl just be sitting idle waiting for something to do). Which means that most games don't really benefit from anything more than a dual core processor. This is true for STO (and WoW as well btw).

You don't have to disable hyperthreading. Only in very specific situations will it cause a performance-drop if you leave it active. For all general computer tasks, just leaving it enabled will mean that you either won't notice it or that it will give you a small performance boost in some applications (though not in games).