Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 61
01-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
I think such a thing is needed, only because software developers have ABUSED patching to the point that its now common place to release UNFINISHED software with the idea "Oh We'll just patch it later. You realize this the only industry where this happens? Imagine if other industries like Cars or Hollywood etc started releasing half finished rubbish with the idea it'll be fixed later. Heated seats? Sorry, next month. Satellite Radio? Yeah uh.. next year sometime. The rest of the new summer movie block buster? Yeah filming should finish by 3rd Quarter 2013.

Guess what? People wouldn't tolerate it. The software industry shouldn't get a free pass considering how software just gets more expensive each year.
Uuum you do realize that it DOES happen with other items...its called RECALL. Don't know if you've ever received notices from your dealership to bring your vehicle in for services and to change an item out due to flaws in the original assembly.

Fact is the U.S. is a capitalistic society; buyer beware... You pay for a McDonalds burger before eating it and yet you don't know how this one will taste compared to the one before. When you get companies that don't understand the industry telling you to meet impossible timelines, you have to meet the timeline with the best you have.

Now, for those who paid lifetime memberships; feel free to yell, but for those who aren't paying or just a monthly deal...you can choose to stop the subscription and leave. I think this game even with its flaws (no Cardassians) is better than any Star Trek game I've come across.By having the ability to patch, you allow new additions to keep the game going. I was disappointed that I finished Bridge Commander and that was it...I could have gone online and PvP, but it wasn't the same.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-27-2012, 11:05 PM
What I Wish Were In-Game:
  • New PvP Content--especially those Open PvP Zones that were even tested--but had clear advice on how to fix them.
  • PvP Gear Sets
  • Territory Control
  • Exploration Overhaul (using client-side procedural generation).
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
Uuum you do realize that it DOES happen with other items...its called RECALL. Don't know if you've ever received notices from your dealership to bring your vehicle in for services and to change an item out due to flaws in the original assembly.

Fact is the U.S. is a capitalistic society; buyer beware... You pay for a McDonalds burger before eating it and yet you don't know how this one will taste compared to the one before. When you get companies that don't understand the industry telling you to meet impossible timelines, you have to meet the timeline with the best you have.

Now, for those who paid lifetime memberships; feel free to yell, but for those who aren't paying or just a monthly deal...you can choose to stop the subscription and leave. I think this game even with its flaws (no Cardassians) is better than any Star Trek game I've come across.By having the ability to patch, you allow new additions to keep the game going. I was disappointed that I finished Bridge Commander and that was it...I could have gone online and PvP, but it wasn't the same.
I can tell you I've never received a recall on anything in my .entire life. Besides that, Recalls arent as common and everyday as Software patches to fixed broken software that was shipped on release. Part of the blame for the state of Software development are Apologists that allow these abuses to occur.

Believe it or not, there was a time when Software shipped working and fully featured with proper QA done.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I still can't change my ship's overall uniform. My crew looks out of place when the generic officers are all wearing the default uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Instead of encouraging a longer leveling and character development process, it has become even more of a joke. Mostly due to missing overall content and the poorly thought out exploration zones.
Reports of people hitting VA in the Romulan zone even.
That's a personal choice. I'm still in the Romulan missions and I just hit VA, but that's cause I was doing exploration, pvp and daily missions for awhile now.

And I'm still going to get one-shot by those torpedoes unless I actually shoot them out of the sky
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-28-2012, 01:20 AM
hang on and ill head back to 2010:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=131557

yep here we go...

*reads old post*

yep still waiting on Klingon content and diplomatic missions not to mention space stations defending themselves...

...everything else seems good though
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
I can tell you I've never received a recall on anything in my .entire life. Besides that, Recalls arent as common and everyday as Software patches to fixed broken software that was shipped on release. Part of the blame for the state of Software development are Apologists that allow these abuses to occur.

Believe it or not, there was a time when Software shipped working and fully featured with proper QA done.
I agree. A recall for a faulty part is different than selling the car without that part. The occasional patch to fix a bug is one thing. The occasional patch to add new content is also a different story as that would be like taking your car in to get dual exhaust or getting your truck lifted. What isn't, or shouldn't, be acceptable is games being released half finished, then be patched up over time to "complete" it. Such as STO. There are games out there that are intentionally being released unfinished, so that the companies can charge extra for DLC. That, IMO, is wrong. Finish the product, THEN add in extras to keep people playing.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
I agree. A recall for a faulty part is different than selling the car without that part. The occasional patch to fix a bug is one thing. The occasional patch to add new content is also a different story as that would be like taking your car in to get dual exhaust or getting your truck lifted. What isn't, or shouldn't, be acceptable is games being released half finished, then be patched up over time to "complete" it. Such as STO. There are games out there that are intentionally being released unfinished, so that the companies can charge extra for DLC. That, IMO, is wrong. Finish the product, THEN add in extras to keep people playing.
Exactly this, companies have abused it, and thats why we are in this mess. Patches of honest bugs and content updates is one thing but many, many, many companies both gaming and software ship outright broken products and these are the boys that ruined it for all. Yes, we live in a world where when some people do shady stuff everyone, even the honest people have to get punished to put a stop to it.
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Well its seems every time I come back to play sto, no matter how long its been. There are only a few days worth of content. I mean really almost 2 years after launch theirs no meaningful end game content. Its a good thing sto went f2p or I wouldn't of even came back to play this game. Also it still feels like a co-op game just called a mmo. Because if you take out sector space and limit the social zones like ds9 too 5 people, what kind of game would it be?