Lt. Commander
# 1 PVP - The WoW way±
01-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Are we supposed to be at war with the Klingons? I say this because there is not a jot of proof to support this in game. How about some on-the-spot PVP?

I’ve just been playing WoW where my level 35 Warlock got pwned by a level 46 Hoard member who came running around the corner. The buzz and excitement I got when I realised they were going to attack was brilliant! Loved it. While I was getting my arse handed to me, luckily my mate was around the corner and we managed to kick arse together.

STO lacks this.

I personally love the idea of flying around to bump into a KDF opponent and all hell break loose. Surely that is more consistent with the war theme?

Also, I think that players should be able to challenge other players regardless of their rank. Just like WoW above. Unbalanced? Sure, but if you are stupid enough to have a go attacking a Vorcha in a runabout, who are Cryptic to argue? If you still want to do that, hunt in packs!

When two ships meet, regardless of rank, there should be a bit of banter, engage in a bit of chat and then decided if you want to fight: just like on the show, it will be your captains judgement call if you decided to take them on or flee. It would also be great if KDF ships can fly around cloaked in sector space only to surprise attack and open an instance (like the enemy encounters).

In the show, ships of varying abilities and strengths fight. The more sophisticated the ship, the more likely it will win. This is at odds in the game where I can destroy a NegVah in a Constitution ship – it just doesn’t add up!

That said, if as a constitution cpt, I would like to challenge another player in a Neg’Vah, surely I should be able? Janeway was always taking on ships twice her size, so we should be able to do so too.

Also, by being able to fight higher level ships, you get to have more fun using your BOF abilities. While bigger ships will have more abilities, the fun will be in using yours to the best possible advantage.

I would go one stage further and say that all weapons should have a blanket set of damage: A torp fired from a cruiser is the same as a torp fired from a tactical ship. The challenge comes in how your process this when choosing to fight. Again, we see this all of the time: think about when the Enterprise took on the Reliant. While the Enterprise was a more powerful ship, this advantage was levelled in the nebula. A great way to challenge of captain abilities!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2012, 05:41 AM
The difference is that in WoW you can choose whether or not you play on a PvE or PvP server. Here you'd be forcing world PvP on everybody and not everybody is interested in PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreth
Are we supposed to be at war with the Klingons? I say this because there is not a jot of proof to support this in game. How about some on-the-spot PVP?

I’ve just been playing WoW where my level 35 Warlock got pwned by a level 46 Hoard member who came running around the corner. The buzz and excitement I got when I realised they were going to attack was brilliant! Loved it. While I was getting my arse handed to me, luckily my mate was around the corner and we managed to kick arse together.

STO lacks this.

I personally love the idea of flying around to bump into a KDF opponent and all hell break loose. Surely that is more consistent with the war theme?

Also, I think that players should be able to challenge other players regardless of their rank. Just like WoW above. Unbalanced? Sure, but if you are stupid enough to have a go attacking a Vorcha in a runabout, who are Cryptic to argue? If you still want to do that, hunt in packs!

When two ships meet, regardless of rank, there should be a bit of banter, engage in a bit of chat and then decided if you want to fight: just like on the show, it will be your captains judgement call if you decided to take them on or flee. It would also be great if KDF ships can fly around cloaked in sector space only to surprise attack and open an instance (like the enemy encounters).

In the show, ships of varying abilities and strengths fight. The more sophisticated the ship, the more likely it will win. This is at odds in the game where I can destroy a NegVah in a Constitution ship – it just doesn’t add up!

That said, if as a constitution cpt, I would like to challenge another player in a Neg’Vah, surely I should be able? Janeway was always taking on ships twice her size, so we should be able to do so too.

Also, by being able to fight higher level ships, you get to have more fun using your BOF abilities. While bigger ships will have more abilities, the fun will be in using yours to the best possible advantage.

I would go one stage further and say that all weapons should have a blanket set of damage: A torp fired from a cruiser is the same as a torp fired from a tactical ship. The challenge comes in how your process this when choosing to fight. Again, we see this all of the time: think about when the Enterprise took on the Reliant. While the Enterprise was a more powerful ship, this advantage was levelled in the nebula. A great way to challenge of captain abilities!
Ive just made a thread asking about what has changed after the time ive stopped playing in summer 2011.
Well, this helps a lot!
thX :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd LOVE to see this happening..

As for choosing the PvP/PvE server, there is no need to that, we could do it on the neutral zone for example..

Or.. simply have an option to disable the challenge (for a limited time)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreth

STO lacks this.

It is a good idea, but have you thought about why they have not done anything like this yet? They have no open pvp or open pvp areas which would be better in my oppion because the Klingon Faction would get destoryed. Think about for just a second. In the Klingon's current stat you can not start out Klingon, so they lose all low lvl players. You must get a fed to lvl 25 before playing as Klingon, if they made open pvp now alot of people would just stay Fed, because Fed will always have more people and the nubers to win because everyone has to make a Fed while everyone does not have to make a Klingon.

Did you really think that a game at war just forgot to put in pvp or pvp zones? And not everyone plays pvp, so I would say they should make war torn sectors where open pvp is possible, maybe have massive battles for control of Starbases with the fleets competing for control of the starbases. Maybe take the system right out of Pirates of the Burning sea, after all the combat is very simlar in these 2 games. But for gods sake what ever they do I hope they don't copy WoW, this game is nothing like WoW so why would you want WoW's combat system. Take a look at PoTBS, they are even the same P2P to F2P type game that Star trek is, same combat, 4 factions at war which we could eventually see more factions here, and in PoTBS the main pvp is factions fighting it out for control of the ports, so in our case this would be plantets or starbases. In PoTBS when a port is being flip when another faction is trying to take it it becomes a red zone where open pvp is possible between the factions, inculding jumping in to help other in your faction that are in a fight. Which simple means that 2 on 1 fight you started in your favor can become a 2 on 4 in the other teams favor. If Star Trek makes a pvp system they should shoot for something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorosh15
It is a good idea, but have you thought about why they have not done anything like this yet? They have no open pvp or open pvp areas which would be better in my oppion because the Klingon Faction would get destoryed. Think about for just a second. In the Klingon's current stat you can not start out Klingon, so they lose all low lvl players. You must get a fed to lvl 25 before playing as Klingon, if they made open pvp now alot of people would just stay Fed, because Fed will always have more people and the nubers to win because everyone has to make a Fed while everyone does not have to make a Klingon.

Did you really think that a game at war just forgot to put in pvp or pvp zones? And not everyone plays pvp, so I would say they should make war torn sectors where open pvp is possible, maybe have massive battles for control of Starbases with the fleets competing for control of the starbases. Maybe take the system right out of Pirates of the Burning sea, after all the combat is very simlar in these 2 games. But for gods sake what ever they do I hope they don't copy WoW, this game is nothing like WoW so why would you want WoW's combat system. Take a look at PoTBS, they are even the same P2P to F2P type game that Star trek is, same combat, 4 factions at war which we could eventually see more factions here, and in PoTBS the main pvp is factions fighting it out for control of the ports, so in our case this would be plantets or starbases. In PoTBS when a port is being flip when another faction is trying to take it it becomes a red zone where open pvp is possible between the factions, inculding jumping in to help other in your faction that are in a fight. Which simple means that 2 on 1 fight you started in your favor can become a 2 on 4 in the other teams favor. If Star Trek makes a pvp system they should shoot for something like this.
Yes, I agree! Have you read that they bring this year the 1st and 2nd rates back into the game?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
The difference is that in WoW you can choose whether or not you play on a PvE or PvP server. Here you'd be forcing world PvP on everybody and not everybody is interested in PvP.
not if oyu put it in a pvp zone. anyone going their agrees to pvp, the only reason to go there is for high end loot and you run the risk of being shot at.