Lt. Commander
# 781
01-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I wish Ilum's battlefield had similar reset mechanics to STO's Otha.

It's primetime on a West Coast server and I saw no Republic (granted, the exploit and server imbalance forced many Republic into Warzone-only PvP).
I don't think they can even offer a "server transfer" to balance the PvP servers. I made toons on both sides on more than one PvP server. And the population numbers on the respective fleets are at the minimum 2 Empire for every 1 Republic. A few servers had more than that 2 to 1 ratio. Now that's not a 100% true indication but it does show an imbalance.

If STO had a full KDF content at launch that started at level 1, it would have probably happened here too a larger KDF player base. But them launching it with zero content and being as they said a "PvP only faction" stopped that plus caused people to leave this game.

And the future doesn't look bright for a Romulan faction. Cryptic is now just a C-Store producer. They spend all their creative energies on things to put in the store to nickel and dime the players. Which is sad because this IP has more possible factions than Star Wars. And the politics of Star Trek is more flushed out than Star Wars. SW is one side vs the other. ST had Feds, Klings, Romulans just from TOS alone. TNG and later gave us even more.
Lt. Commander
# 782
01-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I favor the content locust approach, personally, and think the author has a bias towards leveling, which I find to be a dumb and arbitrary method of progression compared to things like a meaningful gear curve and a game that is designed as a content factory, which is really what IPs like Star Trek, Star Wars, super-hero IPs, and most fantasy settings are.

It's more important to me to have another campaign to play with monthly than it is to have a big open world to progress through via leveling.
Lt. Commander
# 783
01-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Don't get me wrong: just about every Flashpoint and Operation is better designed than STO's (though Gozer's changes brought quality up for STO).

SWTOR has quality and quantity for a narrow set of activities--whereas STO lacks quality and quantity over a broader set.

Does that make sense?
Which will come first, Rise of the Rakghouls Part 2 or The Children of Khan?

That's the difference between the two games. TOR is still on a schedule that involves continuing to make new content. This game ...

Well the DOFF system is very engaging.

EDIT: Oh and Star Trek Online isn't exactly known for its slow leveling or harsh xp curve. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that some of its employees were saying you could drink red bull, hit a few buttons over the course of a day and viola ... max level.

Lt. Commander
# 784
01-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Which will come first, Rise of the Rakghouls Part 2 or The Children of Khan?

That's the difference between the two games. TOR is still on a schedule that involves continuing to make new content. This game ...

Well the DOFF system is very engaging.

EDIT: Oh and Star Trek Online isn't exactly known for its slow leveling or harsh xp curve. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that some of its employees were saying you could drink red bull, hit a few buttons over the course of a day and viola ... max level.

Looking at the parked ships just outside ESD, this game seems to now have "level by DOFF" system.
Lt. Commander
I'll wager my lifetime sub on it.
Lt. Commander
# 786
01-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409
I'll wager my lifetime sub on it.
They already announced on their site that there will be new content and they plan to regularly add content. STO has received its warning from the Emperor.
Lt. Commander
# 787
01-29-2012, 07:33 AM
It's probably going to be content they've already done before launch, but pushed back to give them something to brag about later on.
Why do I say that? Because the current released content is not suited for a game which was for so many years in development.
And probably will cost money.
Lt. Commander
# 788
01-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
It's probably going to be content they've already done before launch, but pushed back to give them something to brag about later on.
Why do I say that? Because the current released content is not suited for a game which was for so many years in development.
STO had a year to release something. Some would say 2 years for a major story update.

And "holding back" was not done by STO launch? You must not remember STO saying what's coming when CO had the Vibora Pay incident. STO did it to their own "brother".
Lt. Commander
# 789
01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I'd bet a LTS that I don't have on a bet too.

I would bet anyone 1 million dollars even that TOR will have a complete level 1 to 50 second faction before STO. Oh wait, that's already happened. Only a sucka would take that bet.
Lt. Commander
# 790
01-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
Agreed. Moreover, you CANNOT compare SWTOR and STO. You simply can't...

SWTOR had a development budget of 150-200 million dollars. Bioware has ~800 employees.

Cryptic has ~200-100 employees and nowhere near as much financial resources at their disposal.

Comparing Cryptic with Bioware or SWTOR with STO for that matter is neither sensible nor fair.

If you wanna play a gigantic game by a titanic developer company with 100s of millions of dollars available for their projetcs, then go ahead, play SWTOR or WoW. I for my part know, why I stopped playing such games.