Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
So someone tripped on the cord, huh?
Na... I think that taco guy took the hampsters from the servers again xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS5O9C72O18
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the tip Rehpic. It seemed like a larger percentage, maybe it was geographic or something?

I find it odd that the EliteSTF and Doffjob and my fleet channels all lit up with people saying they got booted. That's a relatively unusual incident, I'd think 10% there'd have been a fair amount of people in those three channels saying they didn't get booted, but there weren't.

Could it also have related to the specific data being sent to certain people?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post
Could it also have related to the specific data being sent to certain people?
No; routing doesn't work that way.* It is possible it was geographic, i.e. that many of the folks you heard from were in a general area that got routed a specific way.

*Before some network engineer comes along to dispute this...yes, you can do clever routing schemes and policy-route different types of traffic in different ways, but the Internet doesn't do this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhelm View Post

I find it odd that the EliteSTF and Doffjob and my fleet channels all lit up with people saying they got booted. That's a relatively unusual incident, I'd think 10% there'd have been a fair amount of people in those three channels saying they didn't get booted, but there weren't.
not specifically. if all the people currently online in those channels were all in roughly the same location, they could all have gotten hit by it. since we Really dont know what geographic area gets routed through the part of the hardware path failed, its possible, but rather highly unlikely that all the people in those channels got booted.


its also possible that the people who didnt get booted didnt say anything one way or the other if they got affected, which would skew your results of nearly everyone in those channels got booted.


the latter of the two explanations seems to be the most likely since unless they are actually participating in those channels, they might not have them turned on or in seperate tabs they only check when they need to (minus the fleet one)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
not specifically. if all the people currently online in those channels were all in roughly the same location, they could all have gotten hit by it. since we Really dont know what geographic area gets routed through the part of the hardware path failed, its possible, but rather highly unlikely that all the people in those channels got booted.
Exactly.

Also, it's possible for two people who live next door to each other to take different paths, depending on their choice in ISP, peering arrangements and load sharing, and so on.

For folks who haven't worked with network routing...well, have you ever seen a Pachinko machine? You can launch two balls, one after the other, that drop in the same spot. Both will, most likely, take two different paths down to the bottom despite this.

That's what packets on the Internet do. I mean, the example is oversimplified, but essentially correct. Which is why it's tough to find patterns after the fact without specific information from the routers along the way, etc.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM.