Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
01-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Other than the problems with missing costume pieces on the different genders and the misplacing of some species specific pieces (something that has occurred as a side effect as more and more patches have been added), I like STOs customization just as it is now. The manual customization for each section is actually more flexible than Fantasy Star's... and the characters don't look all anime and the backdrop doesn't have all of those goofy wannabe sci-fi graphics that are not necessary to customization at all.

In short, no thanks. No offense meant, I just prefer the simplicity of STOs customization style.


I have to agree with Blackavaar on this. Personally, I think that STOs Character Creation Screen is superior to any other mmo Character Creator i've come across (Keeping in mind this is coming from someone who: a) stopped playing WoW after a single day on the trial, and b) who's only ever subscribe to 2 MMOs: Star Trek Online, and Star Wars: The Old Republic (I've stopped playing SW:TOR for now mainly because of the terrible customization control that i've only encountered in one other MMO (*cough*WoW*cough*) and the fairly repetitve gameplay)).

Back on topic, I couldn't really see STOs character creation being anything other than what it is without it seeming like a step down in my eyes to what it is currently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
01-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
PSO2's slider lets you... "Adjust them in 3D".
It might be more accurate to say that PSO2 has a "boob gyro".

lol Japan. Still totally looking forward to PSO2, mind you. I loved the Dreamcast original and PSU was such a disappointment. It looks like Sega's finally back on the right track with this one, boob customization and all.

...of course, it wouldn't kill them to give Phantasy Star V a shot, either. DO YOU HEAR ME, SEGA? >=(
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
01-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsaber View Post
It might be more accurate to say that PSO2 has a "boob gyro".

lol Japan. Still totally looking forward to PSO2, mind you. I loved the Dreamcast original and PSU was such a disappointment. It looks like Sega's finally back on the right track with this one, boob customization and all.

...of course, it wouldn't kill them to give Phantasy Star V a shot, either. DO YOU HEAR ME, SEGA? >=(
The fact that PSO2 PC is Japan only make me rage hard. Sega might just hear you if you yell a little louder >D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
I have to agree with Blackavaar on this. Personally, I think that STOs Character Creation Screen is superior to any other mmo Character Creator i've come across (Keeping in mind this is coming from someone who: a) stopped playing WoW after a single day on the trial, and b) who's only ever subscribe to 2 MMOs: Star Trek Online, and Star Wars: The Old Republic (I've stopped playing SW:TOR for now mainly because of the terrible customization control that i've only encountered in one other MMO (*cough*WoW*cough*) and the fairly repetitve gameplay)).

Back on topic, I couldn't really see STOs character creation being anything other than what it is without it seeming like a step down in my eyes to what it is currently.
Can you tell us why the STO character creation is so superior to other games in it's current form? The character creation menus look extremely dated, almost as if they're from the early 90's. Everything is in block list form. Why not condense the menu's into sub menu's so it doesn't look so messy?

Question Ryan. Did you read the entire thread? If so, do you still feel the character customization should stay the same way?

Edit: Also, what do you feel about adding more options for eye customization? What about adding in new hair tech?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Of course STO´s char creation is dated. It has been virtually copied over from their superhero game.

And yes, EVE Online´s creator is currently the best one in the industry.
But that´s no wonder as it represents about two thirds of the development resources for their "failed" Incarna expansion. By a team that´s about double (triple?) the size of Cryptic´s WHOLE STO team of about 30ish peeps!

And yeah, the current slider-rama is plain ugly and could use a streamlining of at least the slider orgy.

But that one dev could also help make actual new missions or fix more important issues.
I vote for more content and fixed ships/gameplay instead of removing sliders and putting "boxes" in their place.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
01-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
Of course STO´s char creation is dated. It has been virtually copied over from their superhero game.

And yes, EVE Online´s creator is currently the best one in the industry.
But that´s no wonder as it represents about two thirds of the development resources for their "failed" Incarna expansion. By a team that´s about double (triple?) the size of Cryptic´s WHOLE STO team of about 30ish peeps!

And yeah, the current slider-rama is plain ugly and could use a streamlining of at least the slider orgy.

But that one dev could also help make actual new missions or fix more important issues.
I vote for more content and fixed ships/gameplay instead of removing sliders and putting "boxes" in their place.
Keep in mind that the purpose of the thread is not to say necessarily that we want this now now now. I think thread the purpose of this thread is more along the lines of saying that we'd like the character customization to look like this eventually.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
01-29-2012, 11:42 AM
It looks like garbage. STO doesn't need to change the creation menus.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
01-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHopeForSome View Post
It looks like garbage. STO doesn't need to change the creation menus.
How so? To which game are you referring to when you say it looks like garbage?


Edit: And, it's not a question of need. It is more a question of should. Simplifying and modernizing the character customization menu will help improve every new player's game-play experience; therefore, Cryptic should do it. Sometimes, the common good is more important than our individual needs. Just because you think it's ugly doesn't mean the majority of the F2P will think the same. Also, why do you think that games like APB, Phantasy star, and Eve have adopted those kinds of character customization interfaces? Don't you think it's because they did a lot of research and determined that the majority of players prefer that model?

Edit: One last thing. Do you think it's odd how whenever somebody mentions STO, they never mention character customization? That's because it's extremely dated and unremarkable. However, if in the long-run Cryptic worked towards improving it as I and many others in here have suggested, it will certainly be something to mention when we talk about STO. Imagine yourself saying, "Hey, heard about that Star-Trek MMO? It's got some super cool customization options, and the interface is really smooth."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
01-29-2012, 12:11 PM
About the only thing STO's customization is missing a nose tip adjustment. To make it fuller and rounder or make a hook nose. The reason so many humanoids look alike is because of the nose in my opinion.

I wish we could make bridge officers with the character creator. Where we could choose their traits and race. To many bridge officers come with useless traits like creative, that modify kits they can't use. Not enough have space traits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
About the only thing STO's customization is missing a nose tip adjustment. To make it fuller and rounder or make a hook nose. The reason so many humanoids look alike is because of the nose in my opinion.

I wish we could make bridge officers with the character creator. Where we could choose their traits and race. To many bridge officers come with useless traits like creative, that modify kits they can't use. Not enough have space traits.
Hmm, maybe this could be introduced with some sort of genetic wars FE series? Once you get to, lets say, level 25, you can start doing this FE series. As a reward for completing it, you'll get the ability to genetically engineer BO's on your ship. I like the sound of your idea . I know genetic engineering is banned in the Federation, but nobody has to know right? Maybe make it a section 31 mission?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
Hmm, maybe this could be introduced with some sort of genetic wars FE series? Once you get to, lets say, level 25, you can start doing this FE series. As a reward for completing it, you'll get the ability to genetically engineer BO's on your ship. I like the sound of your idea . I know genetic engineering is banned in the Federation, but nobody has to know right? Maybe make it a section 31 mission?
I don't think of it as genetically engineering BO's. More like entering the profile of a officer you want for the position.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.