Lt. Commander
Hi, so i'm doing a large project at school requiring every student to present something that changed or revolutionzed the United States or even the World. I chose Star Trek.

Now I am using the documenteries "How William Shatner Changed the World" and "Trek Nation" for reliable sources. I want to expand though my range of reliable sources so I can present a stronger case. i would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the direction of any good books, films, websites, or anything on the subject that is reliable?

I'm covering everything i can:
-Technology
-Social justice
-Exploration
-Media
-anything...

If you can i would be very thankful!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Don't mean to be "that person" but isn't locating these good books/films/websites, etc. part of the work required for the project?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
Don't mean to be "that person" but isn't locating these good books/films/websites, etc. part of the work required for the project?
That is what i'm doing, and I don't want anyone to go out of their way to find a site, but if anyone happened to know of a site/book/film off hand...
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Star Trek has made you lazy!

No master computer to bring up sources just yet... j/k.

I'm all honesty I thought the Shatner one was a pretty good source, well of knowledge anyway, otherwise the only Trek-like thing I've ever done in school was waaay back when I was a kid and my Enterprise E poem was one of the winning entries in an artistic journal that was sold in my school :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
"The making of Star Trek". Got my first and only copy of the 1973 back in.......none of your business when. This book should help you tremendously if you wish to actually do some research as it details many of the inquiries that were made by professionals and industry leaders to the producers of the original series concerning technology featured in the show. It should be fairly straightforward exercise to chart the course of what at the time were very young technologies to the present day.

Its also of note as it was written very close to the timing of the actual event. So you get a glimpse into the surprise of those involved at the magnitude of the impact Star Trek was having when most of that impact hadn't even happened yet. You have forty years of hindsight on those poor folks. If they only new.

Anyway Ill stop yammering. It should be a great start point for you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Here is a short video that could help you.

Martin Luther King was a Trekkie

The Civil rights movement certainly changed the U.S. and part of the world.
Maybe if you can find the entire video their could be more.

Also the first Interacial kiss was on Star Trek.