Lt. Commander
# 1 Bizzarre Map Transition Window
01-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey all,
So I'm trying to get my character to meet with an NPC on Cryptic's Vulcan map. Unfortunately, it pops this strange little transition window up:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...transition.jpg
See that thin little green box? Yeah... that's all it does for Map transitions. So, in this particular iteration, it just expects me to somehow be on Vulcan, and then when I try to beam up, it takes me to Vulcan orbit, which is fine, except that when I try to depart system, to continue the mission, it takes me right back down to Vulcan.

And if I try and create a Vulcan map with a Waypoint to get to before hand, I get there, and it never gives me a Beam Down message. Is there just something wrong with the Cryptic Vulcan map?
What is that bizzare half transition window, and how do I turn it into a real map transition window?

Has anyone experienced this at all?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
This may help. will go into more explanation once posted via editing. http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...al-objectives/

So the blue popup is a mission accept popup that will appear as soon as the player picks up the mission from the foundry mission database. The small green one is a Social Zone Map Transition. which means you have to enter that zone to complete the following objectives.

Social Zones are any map that aren't solo instances, like Sirius Sector, Earth Space Dock or Starfleet Academy.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-22-2012, 11:37 PM
That helps a little. I haven't done foundry missions in a couple months, so that Social Zone transition box must be new, which you've adequately explained. But that still doesn't help with the fact that when beaming up from Vulcan, and then trying to depart the system, it just takes me right back down to Vulcan. Is this a bug, or is this something that's just going to happen with Social Maps and therefore I need to not use Vulcan unless the whole mission's going to take place there?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-23-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
That helps a little. I haven't done foundry missions in a couple months, so that Social Zone transition box must be new, which you've adequately explained. But that still doesn't help with the fact that when beaming up from Vulcan, and then trying to depart the system, it just takes me right back down to Vulcan. Is this a bug, or is this something that's just going to happen with Social Maps and therefore I need to not use Vulcan unless the whole mission's going to take place there?
You have the 1st door in PSI velorum sector. So you would have to go to Vulcan then head to PSi. Highly suggest you have a good read of http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...al-objectives/. A map transition loop will come into effect when you return to the same map twice within a the story outline..
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-23-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm so sorry, just realised what the problem is. You can not use a Social Zone Map Transition as the first map transition in the story line. The first Map Transition must be to a foundry map. This is not a bug. It was discussed heavily back when triggers were added. I remember that if this was to be added, it would have potential implications on live game official missions. There fore all objectives before the first map transition, which has to be to a foundry map, must take place on the location of the first map transition location. In other words any objectives before the first door, must take place at the same location as the 1st door. I was only just drifting of to sleep when it came to me. I should sleep soundly now. Well hopefully.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Hmm, but I have already tried an iteration where I created a 'Vulcan System' space map (custom of course) and had the character go to Vulcan in pursuit of a marker (reach orbit) and use my custom map to enter, but after reaching the orbit marker, that's where the bizarre social map workings went into effect, as I got no Beam Down message.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Yes, in order to return from a foundry mission to a social zone, you use the leave system option at the top right of your hud. Most authors use an out of character text to indicate the direction and action the player must take.

Unfortunately when ever this Map Transition is in use it will not activate a Map Transition window/popup and you will have to direct your audience to use UI functions to exit the Sector, System, Interior or Ground STO map. You will need to place something like these as your next Objective. Eg, Exit System, Beam out to Map Transfer or Return to Ship.

This also comes with a few warnings:

Any Map Transition from Custom Map to Social Zone…

is not playable in Preview mode.
will take the player to the last known social Zone co-ordinants.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...%20Guide/7.jpg
http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/ugc...al-objectives/

Are you needing to use the social zone to free up map space for the mission or is it crucial to the story? Can I help you find a work around?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-24-2012, 01:28 PM
No, it ended up not being crucial to the story. I ended up replacing Vulcan with just a meeting with the character on a Starship. Of course that introduced problems of its own, namely that I wanted the player to enter a system, meet the character and then return to Sector Space and travel to a new system, which I haven't figured out a way to do, so I ended up just having you beam back to your ship and warp directly to the other system. Continuity wise it's a bit dodgy, but unless there's a away to get the Foundry to let you return to sector space after having entered a custom system, I'm stuck with it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2012, 12:09 AM
I have been meaning to do a tutorial on this for a while, time I got to it.