Lt. Commander
# 71
01-30-2012, 01:29 AM
The galaxy r does need a refit with a 3rd tact console and the ensign engineering boff transferred to a tact boff.
A lot of people are saying its not a combat ship, however although the d was the flagship of the fleet the venture was the task force leader in way of the warrior. The galaxy is a powerhouse but for the sake of drama in a tv show it was watered down against the villain of the weak.
You don,t assign a weak ship as group leader in a combat situation it's usually the strongest ship that leads the fleet and everyone else is its support
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylematt4 View Post
The galaxy r does need a refit with a 3rd tact console and the ensign engineering boff transferred to a tact boff.
A lot of people are saying its not a combat ship, however although the d was the flagship of the fleet the venture was the task force leader in way of the warrior. The galaxy is a powerhouse but for the sake of drama in a tv show it was watered down against the villain of the weak.
You don,t assign a weak ship as group leader in a combat situation it's usually the strongest ship that leads the fleet and everyone else is its support
The Venture was accompanied by Mirandas and Excelsiors.
So she was the largest and most powerful ship of that taskforce.
So what's your point?
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
The Venture was accompanied by Mirandas and Excelsiors.
So she was the largest and most powerful ship of that taskforce.
So what's your point?
You just made it " she was the largest and most powerful ship of the task force " you only place the most powerful ship as the head of a task force.
As of the end of the next generation run of films the galaxy is the 2nd most powerful ship in starfleet behind the sovereign.
I want a galaxy retrofit that is useful in elite Borg runs like a Sovvie or excelsior.. A galaxy which is more tactical orientated and can hold its own.
Im Not after a superpowered ship but a ship that is I between a excelsior and a sovvie and a 10% increase in weapon power
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Well the OP's thoughts bring to mind something I had pushed since closed beta. Have what a ship looks like be purely cosmetic. You like the setup of the assault cruiser (Sovvy) but you love how the Gal-X looks more. Here's how it would work:

* As you rank up, you unlock the ship costumes up to your current tier available. Thus, as a Captain (your rank) you would have available to you all ship costumes from the tier 1 ships and up (I think excluding the starter ships is probably a good idea, but I am flexible on it).

* As a Captain, you choose to fly a cruiser, which is the Galaxy currently. The Ship Customization UI would be slightly modified to have a drop down menu to select tier. If you prefer the look of the Excalibur for example, you would select Tier 1 from the drop down menu, and then you would be able to customize from the parts available for all tier 1 cruisers. Further, if you had purchased the Exeter or Venture ships from the C-store, those would be available from the drop down menu in their appropriate tiers.

* Limitations include only being able to select from the class of ship you have set as current, all normally available skins up to your current rank, and any skins available from the C-Store that you have unlocked. No cross-tier customization, and no cross-class either, so no kitbashing.

* It has to be said again that there is canon evidence that ships of the same class often do not perform the same, based on the skills and personality of the chief engineer. Scotty and LaForge both were able to make their respective ships outperform their sister ships. I am sure that with the modularity of bridge stations in the TNG era and beyond, the captain could swiftly reassign bridge officers as needed based on the current mission, thus swapping out a science station for a tactical on the fly.

* As a caveat to the PvP crowd, when entering a PvP instance, your ship should revert to a base model of your class. If you fly a Galaxy-R and you prefer it look like a Sovvy, when you zone in, your ship will look like a Galaxy for the duration, and revert back to your chosen customizations when you exit the instance.

* When inspecting a player who is very obviously Captain or higher, the ship info on the UI window should reflect the ship they fly. If in a Gal-X, even if it looks like a Excalibur, it would give the appropriate description of a Gal-X (Federation Dreadnought?) .

If you stop to think about it, the underlying code is already there. Between purchasable skins from the C-Store, skins available for higher tier ships when purchasing C-store ships of lower level, and the various holo-emitters, the only real changes would be consolidating the Ship Customization UI window for the limitations, and making it so your true ship is displayed for PvP. It also needs to be said that this whole concept has been shot down by a Dev. While fairly simple from an armchair dev point of view, the bean counters apparently think there is more money to be had selling gimmick ships in the C-Store. In my opinion, they could add a new revenue stream by making available the skins as well as the gimmick ships.
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
Just to clarify on some misguided points.
Hak', isnt that just three videos of the same footage???
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Hak', isnt that just three videos of the same footage???
Nope. I use the same intro to all of my videos to give credit to my fleet is all.

Fast forward to the 1:48 mark and the "actual video" starts.
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The game's Galaxy is weak compared to the show's? Anyone remember the USS Odyssey getting take out by 3 Jem attack ships?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzARkU5l2JE
Well The Dominion were using usual energy weapons (Phase Polaron Beam) against the Odyssey and in the first opening attack they suffered some heavy damage on several decks and had a plasma leak. If they knew this in advance I'm sure they would be able to last much longer in the fight and sustaining their shields to prevent such a bold suicide run.
Lt. Commander
# 78
02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
Nope. I use the same intro to all of my videos to give credit to my fleet is all.

Fast forward to the 1:48 mark and the "actual video" starts.
It takes you 1:48 to get to the actual video? I'd say that that is about 1:18 too long.
Lt. Commander
# 79
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
Well the OP's thoughts bring to mind something I had pushed since closed beta. Have what a ship looks like be purely cosmetic. You like the setup of the assault cruiser (Sovvy) but you love how the Gal-X looks more. Here's how it would work:

* As you rank up, you unlock the ship costumes up to your current tier available. Thus, as a Captain (your rank) you would have available to you all ship costumes from the tier 1 ships and up (I think excluding the starter ships is probably a good idea, but I am flexible on it).

* As a Captain, you choose to fly a cruiser, which is the Galaxy currently. The Ship Customization UI would be slightly modified to have a drop down menu to select tier. If you prefer the look of the Excalibur for example, you would select Tier 1 from the drop down menu, and then you would be able to customize from the parts available for all tier 1 cruisers. Further, if you had purchased the Exeter or Venture ships from the C-store, those would be available from the drop down menu in their appropriate tiers.

* Limitations include only being able to select from the class of ship you have set as current, all normally available skins up to your current rank, and any skins available from the C-Store that you have unlocked. No cross-tier customization, and no cross-class either, so no kitbashing.

* It has to be said again that there is canon evidence that ships of the same class often do not perform the same, based on the skills and personality of the chief engineer. Scotty and LaForge both were able to make their respective ships outperform their sister ships. I am sure that with the modularity of bridge stations in the TNG era and beyond, the captain could swiftly reassign bridge officers as needed based on the current mission, thus swapping out a science station for a tactical on the fly.

* As a caveat to the PvP crowd, when entering a PvP instance, your ship should revert to a base model of your class. If you fly a Galaxy-R and you prefer it look like a Sovvy, when you zone in, your ship will look like a Galaxy for the duration, and revert back to your chosen customizations when you exit the instance.

* When inspecting a player who is very obviously Captain or higher, the ship info on the UI window should reflect the ship they fly. If in a Gal-X, even if it looks like a Excalibur, it would give the appropriate description of a Gal-X (Federation Dreadnought?) .

If you stop to think about it, the underlying code is already there. Between purchasable skins from the C-Store, skins available for higher tier ships when purchasing C-store ships of lower level, and the various holo-emitters, the only real changes would be consolidating the Ship Customization UI window for the limitations, and making it so your true ship is displayed for PvP. It also needs to be said that this whole concept has been shot down by a Dev. While fairly simple from an armchair dev point of view, the bean counters apparently think there is more money to be had selling gimmick ships in the C-Store. In my opinion, they could add a new revenue stream by making available the skins as well as the gimmick ships.
Do you really want to see people getting handed thier rears by an OBERTH???
Lt. Commander
# 80
02-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
It takes you 1:48 to get to the actual video? I'd say that that is about 1:18 too long.
LOL Depends. If it's a 28 minute video, 1:48 is comparatively nothing.