Lt. Commander
# 851
01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSev
The only reason you all ***** about what they haven't delivered is because the whole time they were telling you what they were planning to do.
Completely false. People would have been upset with any MMO releasing virtually no content for that amount of time, regardless of what the Devs had told them.
Lt. Commander
# 852
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Completely false. People would have been upset with any MMO releasing virtually no content for that amount of time, regardless of what the Devs had told them.
To be completely honest, I think it's amazing that STO is in as good shape as it is after having no content for over a year. That's not something an MMO that wants to survive does.
Lt. Commander
# 853
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
To be completely honest, I think it's amazing that STO is in as good shape as it is after having no content for over a year. That's not something an MMO that wants to survive does.
Its hard to tell what shape STO is "really" in, considering it just went F2P and there are always going to be alot of people trying a game out after that happens. 6 months from now would be a much better indication of what shape the game is in.
Lt. Commander
# 854
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Wow, I mean just WoW. Are you really serious? Do you know why the game went F2P? Because of the broken promises and lack of content.
Um, no, the game went F2P because they had data from LoTRO, and their firstin house F2P MMO conversion of CO that:

1) Western MMO gamers seemd to accept te F2P model.

2) EVERY MMO that went F2P ended up being MORE profitable for the parent developer.

^^^^
These are the main reasons STO went F2P, period.

As for TOR - by all accounts it has yet to meet EA's subscription expectations (and they set them VERY high; and top be fair to TOR they had the largest launch (sub wise) of any MMO to date; but contrary to EA's expectations, the game isn't growing beyond the initial launch numbers - and it remains to be seen if that trend will continue or reverse itself and numbers will grow beyond what they were at launch; and how long EA will wait for that to happen.)
Lt. Commander
# 855
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Its hard to tell what shape STO is "really" in, considering it just went F2P and there are always going to be alot of people trying a game out after that happens. 6 months from now would be a much better indication of what shape the game is in.
I agree, although I think the only way STO will live from now on is through grab bags and inflated C-Store prices.
Lt. Commander
# 856
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I agree, although I think the only way STO will live from now on is through grab bags and inflated C-Store prices.
Of course. All F2P games live through their game stores.
Lt. Commander
# 857
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I agree. STO has a lot less lag but also as you state ... a lot less character progression and a lot less story. Not sure why you find this game's shorcomings a boon to more longer-lasting gameplay though.
No, I mean I think STO has better character development and more enjoyable story aspects - for me anyway. SWTOR so called 'story' is as much on rails as the space shooter. In the end its very repetitive and feels constrictive. I enjoyed myself much more running through the STO Story Missions, intermixed with Explore and Partol missions.

Perhaps I am biased because I played a JK Guardian for 4 week. I'm now trying a Bounty Hunter and it's more interesting so far. It really is just KOTOR3 with a paid subscription. The release of the Legacy system should be interesting though.
Lt. Commander
# 858
01-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Um, no, the game went F2P because they had data from LoTRO, and their firstin house F2P MMO conversion of CO that:

1) Western MMO gamers seemd to accept te F2P model.

2) EVERY MMO that went F2P ended up being MORE profitable for the parent developer.

^^^^
These are the main reasons STO went F2P, period.

As for TOR - by all accounts it has yet to meet EA's subscription expectations (and they set them VERY high; and top be fair to TOR they had the largest launch (sub wise) of any MMO to date; but contrary to EA's expectations, the game isn't growing beyond the initial launch numbers - and it remains to be seen if that trend will continue or reverse itself and numbers will grow beyond what they were at launch; and how long EA will wait for that to happen.)
Lol, are you serious? Try for once to take off those glasses. STO went f2p because it was bleeding subs and not making enough money.

When a company says it cannot afford to make new content, hire new people or even have cups to make coffee, that is not a sign of a company that is still making money.

***, DDO and DConline all went f2p because the games weren't making enough money whereas Lotr went f2p because it new it could make more money and was already profitable.

STO doesn't and still doesn't have a good F2p model to make it successful and is going to stay niche for a long time.

As to TOR, where does it say it hasn't met its own expectations? From an analysts opinion piece? Show me one and I will show you another saying it has. Truth to be known, unless EA come out and say it, how do we know?

The nature of today's mmoer is to play for 30 days and leave and hopefully come back later when all the bugs and features have been ironed out, whilst your core base still plays. the hope is that the game grows and your fan base does too. That is what happened even with the mighty wow.

Problem for STO is people didn't even last the 30 days and Cryptics reputation proceeded them.
Lt. Commander
# 859
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Lol, are you serious? Try for once to take off those glasses. STO went f2p because it was bleeding subs and not making enough money.

When a company says it cannot afford to make new content, hire new people or even have cups to make coffee, that is not a sign of a company that is still making money.

***, DDO and DConline all went f2p because the games weren't making enough money whereas Lotr went f2p because it new it could make more money and was already profitable.

STO doesn't and still doesn't have a good F2p model to make it successful and is going to stay niche for a long time.

As to TOR, where does it say it hasn't met its own expectations? From an analysts opinion piece? Show me one and I will show you another saying it has. Truth to be known, unless EA come out and say it, how do we know?

The nature of today's mmoer is to play for 30 days and leave and hopefully come back later when all the bugs and features have been ironed out, whilst your core base still plays. the hope is that the game grows and your fan base does too. That is what happened even with the mighty wow.

Problem for STO is people didn't even last the 30 days and Cryptics reputation proceeded them.
You may want to take off your owne rose colored glasses regarding TOR's overall performance in the subscriptuion retention area as:

From this MSNBC article (link):

Quote:
EA CEO John Riccitiello told investors that the game starts to become profitable at about 500,000 subscriptions and "makes good money on an ongoing basis" at 1 million subscriptions. But really, considering how much money they've put into this game and into purchasing the game's developer — BioWare — he said, "anything north of 1 million, as we approach 1.5 million or 2 million, starts to look like a great investment."
And an LA Times article (link) stating:

Quote:
It may be the largest entertainment production in history. More than 800 people on four continents have spent six years and nearly $200 million creating it.
and

Quote:
To recoup its massive investment, the Old Republic’s publisher, Electronic Arts Inc., will have to snag more than 1 million customers willing to spend $60 to buy the game and an additional $15 a month to play for years on end. The game, released in late December, already has more than a million registered users, but many could leave after a free 30-day trial.

“The real test is whether they can retain subscribers in the long run,” said analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen & Co.
And a Massively Article (link) that seems to back up the LA Times article SWToR cost nmbers and stating analysts projections caused an EA stock rebound of 2% and:

Quote:
As part of that, a Pacific Crest analyst raised his predictions of quarter sales for SWTOR from 1.5 to 2.2 million, with 800,000 subscribers.
But again - doing the math 800K is 200K short of 1 million; and even though some analysts are claiming 75 - 90% of players will be retained - I'd say that's very optomistic given what most other MMOs have experienced; but time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 860
01-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Wow... someone didn get their coffee this morning.
Is this sarcasm?
Was that sarcasm?

We need sarcasm tags.
I will repost what I posted on an entirely different forum:

---
Say, we could use [sarcasm]I really trust statistics like that.[/sarcasm] as tag. It would mark the text with a different font and italics perhaps, like this:
I really trust statistics like that.

People rarely if ever use different fonts, and coupled with italics, it should be easily distinguished from any such case, and not confusing at all.

Only problem is convincing Bran_Flakes to implement this new tag.

Mustrum "Never confused by sarcasm" Ridcully

---