Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I see no reason why anyone should buy this, a waste of money.

As there is at least a theoretical chance that geeks can have a romance with a human female I consider her a "meh" BOff.

But put an ORION GIRL in the package and we have a deal!
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I can't see why it would make more sense to buy this than, say, a Caitian you can sell for enough to buy all of those things and more.
For an Alt, the Starter Pack is of no value, as you can Purchase on the Exchange, (or Craft,) better starting equipment and BOs that can be Emailed to an Alt...

But for a virgin newbie, without the resources of an existing character, this can be very useful indeed...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
A Federation Starter Pack can now be found in the C-Store.

Link to the news article.
While I appreciate the idea, the bloody UI window on the web page with the details is crappily too small and doesn't resize when the browser window is expanded. Please make your web team fix this asap.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
I can't see why it would make more sense to buy this than, say, a Caitian you can sell for enough to buy all of those things and more.
Because those that are new to the game won't know about that. They won't really have a handle on the exchange, how to sell things, what the currency is, how much these items go for on the exchange, where the vendors are, etc etc.

It's just much more convenient (and profitable for Cryptic), to spend the points, get your stuff, go pew pew.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I think the target customer would be someone who has no idea what the value of the items in the starter pack are =P
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I think the target customer would be someone who has no idea what the value of the items in the starter pack are =P
Might as well throw in half a million latinum then. It sounds like a big number. There's nothing game breaking that can be done with it. At least that adds a convenience not readily available and maybe gets new people interested in DOffs and Dabo.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
is there a Klingon version coming today or soon?

regardless of the general opinion, you don't want more Fed favoring on your plate already, trust me
What are you talking about? the KDF gets one for free with every new toon.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd want to get a klingon version if it came with stuff that leveled up with you like maybe a new really cool bat'leth that at LG is good as good as the ones we can get or could get in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
For an Alt, the Starter Pack is of no value, as you can Purchase on the Exchange, (or Craft,) better starting equipment and BOs that can be Emailed to an Alt...

But for a virgin newbie, without the resources of an existing character, this can be very useful indeed...
That is VERY Very true, but the C-store price is too High... 100 Cpoints, but bind on pickup is what the contents should be. to avoid flooding the market with green items. if they included a Set of star ship items, Resilient Shields DIS, Positron deflector, and Impulse engines Turn, with perhaps one Quantum torpedo, and two pahser beam arrays Acc then It would be Well worth the 240 C-points.

But all that would need to be bound on pickup.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
A 'nicer' way to say this is that the target consumer is someone who hasn't gotten their feet wet in the exchange and all and just wants to avoid scrounging for gear at the starting levels.

This is a perfect example of 'pay for convenience'. Sure, experienced players can get a better deal, but they most likely can just go ahead and mail themselves low-level gear. This is meant for those who don't have the advantage of knowing all the game's ins and outs or having fleetmates to give them stuff.

In summary, it's not trying to dupe new players as much as give them the convenience of not having to figure out the tribal knowledge in order to start out the game with some decent gear. I'm sure the early scrounging can be a turn-off for gamers who would rather start off with enough to just have fun, and it's good that they have the ability to pay if they so choose.