Lt. Commander
For those of us that play this game I would hope that a big part of the reason is that we truly enjoy Star Trek and what it means. It is the quest for knowledge and understanding of the universe.

Today is a 1/28/2011 on 1/28/1986 I was watching a shuttle launch from my back yard. I can still remember it to this day. The day that we lost 7 astronauts in the Challenger tragedy.

Also on 2/1/2002 the Shuttle Columbia was destroyed on reentry over Texas, That too was a sad day.

Take a moment to remember those 14 astronauts that lost their lives following their own passion for truth and exploration. Remember the advancements we all benefit from through our space program, and what we may accomplish in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I saw the final shuttle launch in July of last year.

It is not enough to say how absolutely amazing that launch was.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Heroes.

They died on man made vehicles. It went wrong, that is the nature of everything we do. These heroes find faults with multi million dollar equipment and risk their lifes trying to get around it.

While thousands of gamers cry about small bugs or glitches and talk as if they should not exist or should be fixed over night. When I read such crap, I always think about the ultimate sacrifices made as a result of our engineering.

I was thinking about those astronauts last month. I'll think about them next month. One day their names will be on a wall, on a building, on Mars or on the Moon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-28-2012, 10:36 PM
You forgot some people

Apollo 1

January 27 1967

Virgil "Gus" Grissom
Edward H. White
Roger B. Chaffee

the first to give there lives while "Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before"
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
You forgot some people

Apollo 1

January 27 1967

Virgil "Gus" Grissom
Edward H. White
Roger B. Chaffee

the first to give there lives while "Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before"
You are quite correct I did forget about them, thanks for including that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Heroes.

They died on man made vehicles. It went wrong, that is the nature of everything we do. These heroes find faults with multi million dollar equipment and risk their lifes trying to get around it.

While thousands of gamers cry about small bugs or glitches and talk as if they should not exist or should be fixed over night. When I read such crap, I always think about the ultimate sacrifices made as a result of our engineering.

I was thinking about those astronauts last month. I'll think about them next month. One day their names will be on a wall, on a building, on Mars or on the Moon.
All of their names are on the Astronaut memorial at KSC visitors center.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Duely noted. My new ship is officially named "USS Challenger" in the honor of those brave souls.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher2011
Heroes.

Let's not forget Russia's cosmonauts, either. I can't name any, though, but they've been though the same.