Lt. Commander
# 21
01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
what really bothers me is that many points either go into sinkhole skills that don't even matter (like threat control), or the skills don't even work right to begin with and are bugged to all hell like energy weapon specialization.. why not keep those at 0 points.. you get the same benefit.

These need to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica173 View Post
Is this primarily for a pvp build?
would this be viable on a fed star cruiser?

I'm a returning player with a RALH(44) tac officer in a cruiser looking for advice from some active players. I'm not sure I want to focus on pvp endgame but would like to survive for more than 10 seconds lol and thanks in advance.
Yes, I did primarily PvP in Ker'rat when I was testing these skills.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Just saw this in another thread, figured it should be included here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBody
OK, I've been doing a little more testing on this, since I wanted to check out the correlation between "Starship Threat Control" and "Starship Hull Plating". My earlier testing suggested there were diminishing returns involved and I wanted to get a handle on them.

For the test I used a Fed Engineer char flying an Assault Cruiser that had no armour loaded on it. I repeatedly moved skill points between the above two skills, dumping any spare points into "Starship Sensors" as I figured that skill should not affect damage resist.

Results as follows:

0-3 points to spend
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=0 =2%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=0 =6.9%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=3 =9.2%

6 points to spend
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=0 =9.4%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=6 =12.7%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=3 =13.4%

9 points to spend
Threat Control=9 Hull Plating=0 =10.6%
Threat Control=0 Hull Plating=9 =14.4%
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=3 =15.6%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=6 =16.6%

12 points to spend
Threat Control=9 Hull Plating=3 =16.6%
Threat Control=3 Hull Plating=9 =18.1%
Threat Control=6 Hull Plating=6 =18.6%

As can be seen, if you have 3 or less points to spend, put them in Hull Plating, as it gives you the highest damage resist. However, if you have more than 3 points to spend, it becomes more useful to split your points between both skills, ensuring you always have Hull Plating equal to or greater than Threat Control.

All this of course, assuming the figures don't change before it hits holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-26-2012, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
Just saw this in another thread, figured it should be included here:
Thats Awesome! Thank you Dogsbody for the testing and kostamojen for the posting.

I will put your findings in the first post, Dogsbody.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
[quote]

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari

I have questions: Are the Power skills cumulative? So if I put 9 into Warp Core Potential and Weapon performance I get a flat +16 to all power levels?

I hope so, though after I tested this on Tribble I noticed on Holodeck that Warp Core Potential was not reading as part of Power Level boosts, as I was down -5 points across the board with a WCP of 9.
I did not notice that I was recieving a +16, +11 and +6 respectively/ correctly for having WCE ranked at 9.

So iether WCP is not registering or there is Diminutive returns for having WCE and WCP skilled.
All Performance Skills (Weapons, Shields, Engines, Auxillary) where functioning normally though.

Quote:

And am I reading the Warp Core Efficiency correctly? At a setting of 70, 9 in the skill also grants +6? Is this cumulative with the above?

Not at this time that I can tell. It appears WCP does not work properly.
Math would say that if I had WCE at rank 9, had WCP at rank 9, Shield Profficiency at rank 9 and ran my Shield Power level at 70 points - I should see a gain of +6 (WCE) + 5 (WCP) + 11 (SP) for a total of +22 to bring the final Power Level to 92 points. Not counting any bonuses for sets and equipment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the (possible) improper formatting with the quote, couldn't do a direct quote through the forum post.

My question is this... When you were figuring the bonuses for the Starship X Performance, did you already have Warp Core Potential already at 9 points? If so, then maybe the bonus from WCP was already factored into Starship X Performance. So maybe the bonus for Starship X Performance is actually +1/+4/+6 instead of +6/+9/+11. Or I could be completely wrong.

Next question is about the bonuses in general. Are they percentage bonuses (+11%) or a flat bonus (+11 points)?

Third and final quesiton Roach. Why is it when I look at your avatar pic I think of Yellowbeard the pirate?
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
[quote][quote=cabal1202;3974612]
Quote:

My question is this... When you were figuring the bonuses for the Starship X Performance, did you already have Warp Core Potential already at 9 points? If so, then maybe the bonus from WCP was already factored into Starship X Performance. So maybe the bonus for Starship X Performance is actually +1/+4/+6 instead of +6/+9/+11. Or I could be completely wrong.
I tested all the power bonus skills seperately without points in any other power boosting skill. Meaning when I tested Warp Core Efficiency, I only had points in WCE and not WCP or any perfomance skill.

Quote:
Next question is about the bonuses in general. Are they percentage bonuses (+11%) or a flat bonus (+11 points)?
For power buffs from WCE,WCP,EP,SP,WP, etc they should be flat point bonuses and not expressed as a %

Quote:
Third and final quesiton Roach. Why is it when I look at your avatar pic I think of Yellowbeard the pirate
Becuase he is Yellowbeard the pirate. Its an excellent movie.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I tested all the power bonus skills seperately without points in any other power boosting skill. Meaning when I tested Warp Core Efficiency, I only had points in WCE and not WCP or any perfomance skill.

For power buffs from WCE,WCP,EP,SP,WP, etc they should be flat point bonuses and not expressed as a %
Your numbers for Warp Core Potential are very different from what I have gotten.

See: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...03&postcount=2

I can't see how you got the numbers that you did. I did my testing across 3 different characters and even 2 different ships. Even when stacking the deck with Efficient traits, I got no where near your numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2012, 09:44 AM
It is thorough testing and reporting like this that keeps me coming back to the Forums on such a regular basis. Thanks for your hard work on this! There are already a few spots I can see may need some fixing in the future, as well as some UI element updates.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Your numbers for Warp Core Potential are very different from what I have gotten.

See: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...03&postcount=2

I can't see how you got the numbers that you did. I did my testing across 3 different characters and even 2 different ships. Even when stacking the deck with Efficient traits, I got no where near your numbers.
As my first post said, I was testing my Tac in BoP with white shields/Engines/Deflectors and no consoles to keep things as base line as possible, though I make no claim to have done so perfectly.

My testing
Warp Core Potential
3 points +3 all power
6 points +4 all power
9points +5 all power

Yours
A handy chart.
1 | +1 |
2 | +2 |
3 | +3 |
4 | +3 |
5 | +4 |
6 | +4 |
7 | +4 |
8 | +5 |
9 | +5 |

they seem to hit the same conclusion to me at the 3,6 and 9 skill point setting. Variances for 1,2,4,5,7and 8 skill points I did not test, as I only had so many respecs to use.

In retrospect I am a Liberated Borg and had one BOff the same on the ship so that may have skewed the numbers for Warp Core efficiency.

I will retest WCE on a non-efficient toon.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
it would be extremely nice if there was a tab in the ui that shows shield resist levels just like it shows hull resists. we have no idea what numbers those have