Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred

With all due respect.
My point was not to make this game more unrealistic than necessary.

In any Star Trek series have you ever seen a Rifle, or other pices of equipment scaled to the person using it?
Not everyone carries his/her personal weapons all day around and weapons are usually stored in secured weapons stores or lockers on every starfleet ship.
Wouldnt it be a bit complicated to find everyone a fitting weapon every time the captain calls red alert?

Of course not, this equipment is standardised. I know some MK I weapons can be replicated, but most other weapons not.
How would you refuel them, would you reload them with bigger bullets, bigger energy cells, or the same as smaller versions have.
How comes that bigger versions do just the same damage as smaller version, althrough there is more room for (fill in some damage producing technobrabble stuff)?

Live long and prosper.
Weapons in STO are stored in a transporter buffer on the character's belt. They are indeed personal and not secreted away in a generic weapons locker. In Trek, this is far more "realistic" than a more modern system.

When the weapon is recalled from the transporter buffer, they can use replicator technology to adapt the ergonomic aspects of the weapon to the individual using it. So long as a user has a profile stored with starfleet (or the ship more specifically) they could recall the correct sized weapon for each user. Simply adapting the ergonomic aspects of the weapon so that the user has the best, most consistent, experience is the most logical thing to do.

Edit: my original post suffered from some horrendous copy and paste error.