Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I see it as a positive and will make sure to use it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011
Have not and will not set foot in the Foundry.

I pay a subscription fee to play official storyline material, not fanfic.
Too bad - you're missing out on some of the best Trek writing out there. Both in fan-fic in and in Foundry. Some of the current, and incredibly talented official Trek writers came to their positions by writing fan-fic. Before you get so judgmental, I would recommend you read some. If you would like recommendations, I would be happy to provide them to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Not sure I understand this position. Do you think that by playing the Foundry it will somehow delay new official content, or something?

Yes, many missions are poor, but many are good, and some are amazing.
Exactly - thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Consider this.

If 10 people play a Foundry missions and donate 100, that author just made 1000 R-Dil.

100 people? 10,000 R-Dil.

If 800 people in the span of ten days play the mission, that author just made ten days worth of R-Dil without actually having to grind.

800 people over ten days isn't an unreasonable figure, either. Easily, tens of thousands of people the game every day. I would imagine just from sheer weight of numbers, a popular Foundry author could make enough Dil for at least a while to never have to grind.

And that's if these people donate max after just one mission. Some might only donate 60 and do it for two missions.

And what's more, 100 Dil is a relatively paltry amount for any one person. Someone who really liked a mission that had a few thousand Dil just sitting around might not think twice about donating 100.

On paper, the 100 R-Dil max is really very nice.
I think it needs to be increased to 1,000DL but offer some more deeniminations inbetween.

100, 250, 500, 750, and 1000.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
I think it needs to be increased to 1,000DL but offer some more deeniminations inbetween.

100, 250, 500, 750, and 1000.
I respectfully disagree, not until there is a better way to browse missions that won't be so focused on missions at "the top."
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
Too bad - you're missing out on some of the best Trek writing out there. Both in fan-fic in and in Foundry. Some of the current, and incredibly talented official Trek writers came to their positions by writing fan-fic. Before you get so judgmental, I would recommend you read some. If you would like recommendations, I would be happy to provide them to you.
He has every right to expect someone he's paying to provide content, just like their competition. There is a reason a lot of us stopped paying subscriptions for this game when F2P went live. So while a lot of the content in the Foundry may be outstanding, it's not the responsibility of the player base to make their own content. That's not how this game was advertised to the subscribers, and it's not how most expect to be treated.

This is the equivalent of paying a painter to paint your home and all he does is drink coffee and eat lunch while you paint the house yourself. That's not right. If the Foundry was here to supplement Dev created content and activities that would be one thing, but to be the primary source of missions and adventures? That's just not right, I'm sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
He has every right to expect someone he's paying to provide content, just like their competition. There is a reason a lot of us stopped paying subscriptions for this game when F2P went live. So while a lot of the content in the Foundry may be outstanding, it's not the responsibility of the player base to make their own content. That's not how this game was advertised to the subscribers, and it's not how most expect to be treated.

This is the equivalent of paying a painter to paint your home and all he does is drink coffee and eat lunch while you paint the house yourself. That's not right. If the Foundry was here to supplement Dev created content and activities that would be one thing, but to be the primary source of missions and adventures? That's just not right, I'm sorry.
Agreed 100%. Personally I'd rather have seen the devs spend the time it took to release the Foundry and subsequent changes to it on creating content or fixing existing bugs. In a way this tip feature is also a slap in the face. It's Cryptic's way of saying "We can't be bothered to make more ways for you to earn in-game stuff so we'll let you pay other players with in-game resources to do it for us."
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I respectfully disagree, not until there is a better way to browse missions that won't be so focused on missions at "the top."
I definitely agree that the search tools need to be improved. However, you can use the custom option to help improve your search. Considering there is an option for no tip, I don't see why anyone would actually disagree with th4e chance to reward the missions they enjoy with a better reward. If he were offered the chance to tip Cryptic missions, I know I'd be leaving no tip on a lot but some, like episodes 4 and 5 of the Devidian series would definitely get a nice tip from me!
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
I definitely agree that the search tools need to be improved. However, you can use the custom option to help improve your search. Considering there is an option for no tip, I don't see why anyone would actually disagree with th4e chance to reward the missions they enjoy with a better reward. If he were offered the chance to tip Cryptic missions, I know I'd be leaving no tip on a lot but some, like episodes 4 and 5 of the Devidian series would definitely get a nice tip from me!
Cyptic need to actively back and support UGC. Please reboot the Spot Light missions!

http://www.startrekonline.com/foundry_spotlight

See the link in my footer ...
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I really don't get the Foundry Negativity.

Yes, people pay subscriptions to have content made by the dev's. They have limited resources but they do make the content. But why does that mean that players shouldn't play essentially 'free' missions that are just as good, if not better than Cryptics own. It just doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Agreed 100%. Personally I'd rather have seen the devs spend the time it took to release the Foundry and subsequent changes to it on creating content or fixing existing bugs. In a way this tip feature is also a slap in the face. It's Cryptic's way of saying "We can't be bothered to make more ways for you to earn in-game stuff so we'll let you pay other players with in-game resources to do it for us."
The Foundry Team is separate to the STO Content team unless I'm very much mistaken. So no dev time was taken away from content creation to bring out the foundry... WHICH CREATES CONTENT!!!

Also by tipping an author, you're not paying us (and I speak for many of the authors at StarbaseUGC when I say this), you're just giving a small thank you. It means more than the flawed rating system.

No one is getting rich off of the tips (well maybe a very small few are).

I also assume by some of these comments that you haven't listened to lieterally THE BEST DEV INTERVIEW STO has EVER had, that PodastUGC had with CaptainGeko which explains so much about the Game and Cryptic in general, as well as their inner design process regarding CONTENT
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Spotlighting good content was always a good thing. Especially since Cryptic clearly can't deliver on the content side on a consistant and regular basis. My only grip with the Foundry is that Cryptic uses it as a crutch to justify that we have something to do when they have absolutely squat to offer us (including bug fixes).