Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Lawful/Chaotic is highly misunderstood. It is not related to how well you obey the law. Good people follow good laws (and don't follow evil laws) and Evil people follow the laws whenever it serves their purposes. Lawful/Chaotic refers to how disciplined a character is. O'Brien is very disciplined, even if he doesn't always follow orders.
I think that is also just one interpretation of it, I am afraid.

For others, lawful is following the laws and structures of a society, and chaotic is not doing that.

But ultimately, all the alignment discussions in the past mostly confirmed to me that alignment is an inadequate concept mostly. IF you really want to use it, you are doing good by defining what interpretation of good/evil and law/chaos you want to follow in your setting.

In my personal view:
I think Evil is about Egoism and Good is about altruism.
For Law vs Chaos: The rules of lawful people come from the outside - society, religion, peers. The rules (or "guidelines of behavior" of chaotic people come from their inner self. Introspection, personal ideals, or just mood.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think that is also just one interpretation of it, I am afraid.

For others, lawful is following the laws and structures of a society, and chaotic is not doing that.

But ultimately, all the alignment discussions in the past mostly confirmed to me that alignment is an inadequate concept mostly. IF you really want to use it, you are doing good by defining what interpretation of good/evil and law/chaos you want to follow in your setting.

In my personal view:
I think Evil is about Egoism and Good is about altruism.
For Law vs Chaos: The rules of lawful people come from the outside - society, religion, peers. The rules (or "guidelines of behavior" of chaotic people come from their inner self. Introspection, personal ideals, or just mood.
If you read the actual description about the Lawful/Chaotic axis in the D&D books, the disciplined nature of it is quite clear.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
If you read the actual description about the Lawful/Chaotic axis in the D&D books, the disciplined nature of it is quite clear.
Actually it varies based on edition. Which one are you referring to?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Actually it varies based on edition. Which one are you referring to?
Well I'll admit I haven't played TSR D&D, but any of the WotC books definitely make the whole discipline thing clear. Its also evident in the fact that Bards and Barbarians can't be lawful but Monks and Paladins *must* be lawful. Nothing about those classes says or implies they have to follow or not follow the laws about any arbitrary land.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2012, 03:07 PM
There is no way Odo is Lawful Good, if anything he is lawful neutral. He was the constable for the Cardassians as well as working security for the federation as well as having ties to the Founders. He played all sides of the fence but was primarily concerned with upholding the laws.

I think Rom would be the closest DS9 character that is LG. He is basically selfless, kind hearted and good natured and would probably never hurt a fly. He gets off track because he is closely associated with Quark, but I think if you stuck Rom on a federation star ship his LGness would shine through.

Does LG mean you have the do the LG thing every single time? Or can you be lawful and good but occasionally have a chaotic tendency. Picard would be that guy.

The Doctor is basically LG, as dictated by his programing. Well, except for that one episode where he becomes evil...lol.

What would Q be? CN?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Rom attempted to assassinate his brother Quark when he became Nagus.

In the hunt for DS9's LG character, lets not forget about Vedek Bereil.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
very nice!