Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Um...was it really necessary to zombie a 2 year old thread? Just saying...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I believe it's more forum-friendly to post in a thread that directly pertains to a question rather than posting another identical thread.
Lt. Commander
# 13 here's what it is
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
ok this is a perofrmance optoin, on older computers that have less then the required amount of ram. if this option is turned off it will not stream the data from the hard disk as needed, insted it will load the entire block of data into the ram (random access memory) this inturn causes more of the operating system controle to be forced into the page file, inturn slowing down the system to the point where then system hangs, then you have a crash. even on systems with high ammounts of ram it would be advisable to leave this on. as it helps the game perform better.

10+ years PC tech
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd-Roker
ok this is a perofrmance optoin, on older computers that have less then the required amount of ram. if this option is turned off it will not stream the data from the hard disk as needed, insted it will load the entire block of data into the ram (random access memory) this inturn causes more of the operating system controle to be forced into the page file, inturn slowing down the system to the point where then system hangs, then you have a crash. even on systems with high ammounts of ram it would be advisable to leave this on. as it helps the game perform better.

10+ years PC tech
This is the opposite of what the blue guy on the previous page said...

So I take it that everyone is still thoroughly confused about this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
While I see what you're getting at, wouldn't 'reduced file streaming' mean that it loads more into ram? So turning it On should cause the game to read from the hard drive less, which would be a bad thing for a computer with low memory. And the warning about low memory computers being prone to crashes when it's Off almost directly contradicts what the setting description implies. That is where the confusion stems I believe.

Appreciate the replies though, looks like leaving it on would be beneficial, especially for an 8gb ram system, if it's even a 64bit application that is.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarino
While I see what you're getting at, wouldn't 'reduced file streaming' mean that it loads more into ram? So turning it On should cause the game to read from the hard drive less, which would be a bad thing for a computer with low memory. And the warning about low memory computers being prone to crashes when it's Off almost directly contradicts what the setting description implies. That is where the confusion stems I believe.

Appreciate the reply though
Yeah.. that's how I read it too.... I think we and the blue guy are right.

AND BTW... I agree with you about reopening a dead thread... People have ALWAYS *****ed about multiple threads..... but NOW some (increasingly more I've noticed recently) are *****ing about reopening threads??!!?.... Ye cannae win can you?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah you can bet someone would have told me to use the search function if I had, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarino
Yeah you can bet someone would have told me to use the search function if I had, lol.
Exactly......
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Reason why people complain, though, is because necroing a dead thread is techincally against forum rules:

Excerpt from the PWE Community Rules and Policies to illustrate:

You may not create posts which contain:
Excessive communications of the same phrase, similar phrases, or gibberish.
Numbering of a thread, IBTL, TLDR, etc.
Bumping threads.
Creation of “First!” posts.
Posting of off-topic comments, including but not limited to comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature.
Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, contain links to threads from other forums in the PWE network may be subject to an infraction. (Cross Linking)
Advertisements that have not been authorized by PWE.
Posting to an old thread which has not been posted to in 30 days or more.
Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)
As this is an English-speaking community, all postings must be in English, so that they can be well received and properly monitored. Posting in other languages is not allowed, except in Forums designated specifically as non-English forums.

Now, while I may not be a moderator, I'm sure one will likely back me up on that.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTelamon001
Reason why people complain, though, is because necroing a dead thread is techincally against forum rules:

Excerpt from the PWE Community Rules and Policies to illustrate:

You may not create posts which contain:
Excessive communications of the same phrase, similar phrases, or gibberish.
Numbering of a thread, IBTL, TLDR, etc.
Bumping threads.
Creation of “First!” posts.
Posting of off-topic comments, including but not limited to comments or discussions of a religious, or political nature.
Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, contain links to threads from other forums in the PWE network may be subject to an infraction. (Cross Linking)
Advertisements that have not been authorized by PWE.
Posting to an old thread which has not been posted to in 30 days or more.
Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)
As this is an English-speaking community, all postings must be in English, so that they can be well received and properly monitored. Posting in other languages is not allowed, except in Forums designated specifically as non-English forums.

Now, while I may not be a moderator, I'm sure one will likely back me up on that.
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Closed Thread