Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 381
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
If the group stays around the ship, it shouldn't be too hard for the ship to be effective.
Which, as I've noticed, is something you seldom see. I tested it on Tribble and I gotta say it disappointed me. I was expecting something special. Instead what it gave me was a versatile BO setup but a lack of reliable firepower. Even an Assault Cruiser could do better.

I can accept that its a slow beast. Its hull and shield modifiers are nice ways of showing that its not an Excelsior Retrofit, and will never turn as fast. But a 4/3/2 console setup? The only things I can do with those 3 science consoles is slap them full of my universal consoles (borg, antimatter spread, and emission seeking torpedo for the most part).

What it could use is a 3rd tactical slot so that even if its supposed to be a support vessel, it can take better advantage of those beam arrays (or turrets/whatever) with whatever setup the player uses for that LtCmdr universal station.

On the science side, I still find it lackluster. Not because of its lack of high tier science powers but because the skills you can use on this thing (Grav Well 1 for example) seem to have become broken somehow. But that's its own problem. Point is that The only thing I see it doing is being a heal tank that has very few teeth. And within PvE (STFs or FAs or even Red Alerts) people aren't going to be clustering around you for heal tank support. They're more likely to go running off to fire their higher DPS at whatever is in front of them while the Oddy hangs back. Its not a DPS ship since its built on the Star Cruiser template.

As for PvP all I will comment about it is that any ship can be good with the right person flying it and the right knowledge of its limitations. I've seen Star Cruisers in events that held up fairly well.

So in general I'm a little upset with how its handling so far. But I still wouldn't mind having it because its a gift. Might not use it a lot, but its bling and I don't mind having bling.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 382
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Posted by Captain Geko in the official feedback thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
I think the current version of the Odyssey and Bortas on Tribble may have reduced HP and turn rate. I can't remember what went live, so I am just summarizing below to be safe.

We have spent a lot of time thinking about what the final stats will be. The turn rate was a big issue. We honestly wanted to make it slower so they don't compete with existing ships. Instead, we decided to change the Boff seating a little

Here are some change coming:

Odyssesy:
HP: 42000
Turn: 5.5
BOff: Changed Ensign_Universal to an Ensign_Science
Now comes with Advanced Slipstream Drive (can stay active twice as long before shutting down, but has same recharge time and other stats like standard slipstream)

Bortas:
HP: 43500
Turn: 5
BOff: Changed Ensign_Universal to an Ensign_Engineering

Everything else should remain the same.


We also are changing Engineering Shield HP and Shield Regen consoles to be Science consoles, and increasing the effectiveness of all science consoles by about 50%.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 383
02-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
I think the current version of the Odyssey and Bortas on Tribble may have reduced HP and turn rate. I can't remember what went live, so I am just summarizing below to be safe.

We have spent a lot of time thinking about what the final stats will be. The turn rate was a big issue. We honestly wanted to make it slower so they don't compete with existing ships. Instead, we decided to change the Boff seating a little

Here are some change coming:

Odyssesy:
HP: 42000
Turn: 5.5
BOff: Changed Ensign_Universal to an Ensign_Science
Now comes with Advanced Slipstream Drive (can stay active twice as long before shutting down, but has same recharge time and other stats like standard slipstream)

Bortas:
HP: 43500
Turn: 5
BOff: Changed Ensign_Universal to an Ensign_Engineering

Everything else should remain the same.


We also are changing Engineering Shield HP and Shield Regen consoles to be Science consoles, and increasing the effectiveness of all science consoles by about 50%.
Wow, talk about last minute ninja nerf sliding under the wire at the buzzer.
So the new BOff set-up is;
LTC: Universal
Commander: Engineer
LT: Tactical
LT: Science
Ensign: Engineer
Thus forcing us to go iether tactical in the U-slot if we wish to do more than be a petless voQ or laughably science in it (which is a joke of an option on a vessel with a single science console slot.) with a .5 reduction in speed.

Suddenly my excitement at flagship release day has waned and the moment seems dull and listless. Guess we will have to buy the Cstore +1 variant to enjoy ourselves.
WooHoo
Guess the Bortass just become the next dust gatherer in my ship slots.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 384
02-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Actually, there was another set of stats posted in the Dev Blog #14 thread by CaptainGeko here ... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...34#post3983134

Quote:
Here are the complete final Stats for the Flagships:


Odyssey:

Requires: Vice Admiral rank (level 50)

Weapons: 4 Fore, 4 Aft
Device Slots: 4
Console Upgrades: 2 Tactical, 4 Engineering, 3 Science

Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Lieutenant Tactical, 1 Commander Engineering, 1 Lieutenant Science, 1 Ensign Science, 1 Lieutenant Commander Universal

Hull Strength: 42,000
Maximum Warp: 9.996
Turn Rate: 6
Impulse Modifier: 0.15
Shield Modifier: 1.15

+10 Power to Shields, +10 Power to Auxiliary
Advanced Quantum Slipstream Drive (doubles standard Slipstream Drive time)



Bortas:

Requires: Lt. General rank (level 50)

Weapons: 4 Fore, 4 Aft
Device Slots: 4
Console Upgrades: 4 Tactical, 4 Engineering, 1 Science

Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Lieutenant Tactical, 1 Commander Engineering, 1 Lieutenant Science, 1 Ensign Engineering, 1 Lieutenant Commander Universal

Hull Strength: 43,500
Maximum Warp: 9.96
Turn Rate: 5.5
Impulse Modifier: 0.15
Shield Modifier: 1.0

+15 Power to Weapons
Standard Cloaking Device (at 80% cloaking effectiveness)
Can Equip Cannons
Notice turn rate was back at 6 / 5.5, but Universal Ens still remains gone.

Toss in that cloak got nerfed a bit and bortaS lost the +5 she had to engines.

Shall we declare war, my brothers? .... My bat'leth is sharpened, and I feel betrayed.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 385
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
Actually, there was another set of stats posted in the Dev Blog #14 thread by CaptainGeko here ... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...34#post3983134



Notice turn rate was back at 6 / 5.5, but Universal Ens still remains gone.

Toss in that cloak got nerfed a bit and bortaS lost the +5 she had to engines.

Shall we declare war, my brothers? .... My bat'leth is sharpened, and I feel betrayed.
I find it funny that after 100+ years of having cloaking technology they still insist we don't have the capability or power output to claok large vessels effeciently.
I can understand why the voQ has no cloak as it would be unfair to luanch pets and then cloak, but the BortasS does not have that advantage. Infact Cloaking on the BortaSs is not that much of an advanatge at all considering after the Alpha Strike its a big slow moving target with a now weakened ability to offer good tanking (thanks to the engi to sci console change)

Yes, we lost 20% cloak, a +5 engine , a Ensign U-slot (ooh thats so powerful) and the nerf via Engi to Sci changes and for what? what big OP TS excuse fueled this nerf? The need to make the +1 BortaSs more likable?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 386
02-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
Dude, relax. You yell like I've been poking you with a painstick

I meant "sounds nice in theory" without any sarcasm. I would like that and considering the diversity in gameplay that STO already has I do think its quite possible in the future. But fact is that now this games version of 5 year peaceful exploration mission translates into "15 min into a random-generated sector and gunned down everything that moved" and the non-fighting randoms does not require a dedicated science vessel; they could be done with any ship.

Also if you're seriously interested in any facts and figures then please entertain yourself with constructing that; I have enough of this at work & do not care enough for it to repeat that in my free time.




Awesome idea IMO
Yeah it shows you didnt do any researcha nd you just spouted false facts out of your orifice of your choosing. Perhaps you should not do that and sit back and stay the armchait howler and let us who do the math work out better solutions...

TERRIBLE idea... no balance when compaired to other ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 387
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
Actually, there was another set of stats posted in the Dev Blog #14 thread by CaptainGeko here ... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...34#post3983134



Notice turn rate was back at 6 / 5.5, but Universal Ens still remains gone.

Toss in that cloak got nerfed a bit and bortaS lost the +5 she had to engines.

Shall we declare war, my brothers? .... My bat'leth is sharpened, and I feel betrayed.
Cry NERF! And let slip... the flames of war...


Wow. Colour me disappointed. I was undecided on the Odyssey with its first set of stats, and tried pretty hard to think of builds to make her useful.

Sufficed to say, this ship will now be relegated to hangar-queen status. I'll be keeping my Sovereign, thanks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 388
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethoir
Which, as I've noticed, is something you seldom see. I tested it on Tribble and I gotta say it disappointed me. I was expecting something special. Instead what it gave me was a versatile BO setup but a lack of reliable firepower. Even an Assault Cruiser could do better.

I can accept that its a slow beast. Its hull and shield modifiers are nice ways of showing that its not an Excelsior Retrofit, and will never turn as fast. But a 4/3/2 console setup? The only things I can do with those 3 science consoles is slap them full of my universal consoles (borg, antimatter spread, and emission seeking torpedo for the most part).

What it could use is a 3rd tactical slot so that even if its supposed to be a support vessel, it can take better advantage of those beam arrays (or turrets/whatever) with whatever setup the player uses for that LtCmdr universal station.

On the science side, I still find it lackluster. Not because of its lack of high tier science powers but because the skills you can use on this thing (Grav Well 1 for example) seem to have become broken somehow. But that's its own problem. Point is that The only thing I see it doing is being a heal tank that has very few teeth. And within PvE (STFs or FAs or even Red Alerts) people aren't going to be clustering around you for heal tank support. They're more likely to go running off to fire their higher DPS at whatever is in front of them while the Oddy hangs back. Its not a DPS ship since its built on the Star Cruiser template.

As for PvP all I will comment about it is that any ship can be good with the right person flying it and the right knowledge of its limitations. I've seen Star Cruisers in events that held up fairly well.

So in general I'm a little upset with how its handling so far. But I still wouldn't mind having it because its a gift. Might not use it a lot, but its bling and I don't mind having bling.
While I admitt the level of teamwork on the Fed' side is extrememly subpar, I stand by what I said. The real solution is finding ways to encourage Fed' players to work together, a solution as to date I have yet to discover.

As far as your experience of the Odyssey goes, what are you trying to get out of it?

A Lt. Commander Science Boff can give some really good abillities. Three science console can add some nice bumps in a scince ability as well. It should do fine as a sciencey ship. Its not really a tactical friendly ship, but it should lend almost adequate fire support. Certainly no worse than any other ship with two tact console slots and a Lt. tactical boff. Your hust not going to do a lot of 1v1 or nose on combat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 389
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethoir
I can accept that its a slow beast. Its hull and shield modifiers are nice ways of showing that its not an Excelsior Retrofit, and will never turn as fast. But a 4/3/2 console setup? The only things I can do with those 3 science consoles is slap them full of my universal consoles (borg, antimatter spread, and emission seeking torpedo for the most part).
Luckily for you and other Odysses users those 3 science slots now have a purpose to help your shield tanking, in that you can now put the Field Generator and the Shield Field Amplifier in them to increase your shielding.
And if the rumors are true and not a bug or oversight, the Field generator is now a +35 to the skill and may stack - so you can use two possibly for even more shield tanking-ness.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 390 New Ships
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
You can from now get the new ships from the mission!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 PM.