Lt. Commander
Basically, I have a couple of issues when running Star Trek: Online.

1. Overheating - The first is a general problem I have where my computer gets too hot (even on safe mode) when I play the game. This happens with other games such Shogun 2: Total War.

2. Crashing - This is an odd one that doesn't seem to be related to the first problem. When I first downloaded the game on 20/1/12 I could only play the game for about 30 seconds before the computer shut down completely. Once I rebooted the computer, I would get a blue screen and the computer would then begin a memory dump. However, a week ago I was able to run the game fine on safe mode for over 2 hours before the computer overheated (like Shogun 2: Total War). I was also able to beef up the graphics (to the second lowest level on the slider) above safe mode the second time I played the game and, again, I was able to play the game for a considerable amount of time. BUT after it crashed, the game reverted to its old way and now it crashes the computer after about a minute of play.

I'm certain that I'm going to have to invest some money into upgrading my computer, but I would appreciate any advice as to what needs upgrading. Here are my current specs. (Note: My drivers are up to date).

System

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Model: G41MT-D3V
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
4096MB RAM (3.25GB usable)
Page file: 1831MB used, 4819MB available
DirectX 11

Display

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
ATI display adapter (0x9505)
Internal DAC (400MHz)
1913 MB total memory
1440x900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Sound

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Drivers: RTKVHDA. sys
Version: 6.00.0001.6267 (English)

Note: My power supply seems to be 250 watts.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Simply cleaning your system will help a lot with overheating. If you want to improve cooling further then you may want to invest in a new CPU heatsink, a better case and perhaps some more fans.

A graphics card would definitely help with the Blue Screen issues (and a new PSU if you buy a graphics card). A HD 6570 would probably be fine, there's no need for anything too expensive if all you do is play games like STO and Shogun. The rest of your hardware is probably fine although rather out of date.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchinghair
Simply cleaning your system will help a lot with overheating. If you want to improve cooling further then you may want to invest in a new CPU heatsink, a better case and perhaps some more fans.

A graphics card would definitely help with the Blue Screen issues (and a new PSU if you buy a graphics card). A HD 6570 would probably be fine, there's no need for anything too expensive if all you do is play games like STO and Shogun. The rest of your hardware is probably fine although rather out of date.
Thanks for that. Is the HD 6570 much better than the HD 3800 series? I suppose a better question would be how high I could put my graphics settings on STO with it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2012, 05:14 AM
HD 3800 was designed for basic computing needs, Internet browsing, the odd HD movie, etc.

The HD 6570 is far superior, it should allow you to play STO on maximum settings. You should be able to play most games on max settings but on the more demanding games you will need to lower the detail settings somewhat but never below medium.