Lt. Commander
# 1 Downloader not working?
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi all

My last PC achieved consciousness - after a duel to the death on the bridge, I finally got it with a zero-zero-destruct-zero order.

My new one is much tamer, as I've shown it the clipboard I made out of the old one. However, I'm trying to download the game to the new machine and the counter hasn't budged off zero in the first ten minutes.

Any ideas if the downloader is working?

Dr. Weaver
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
OK, tried it again, but it keeps stalling - so far got to about 6% after an hour of poking it with a stick. Top speed is about 100k/sec with loooooooooooooong interrupts of about 3-4 minutes disconn, then a minute or two of downloading, then disconn again.

Unacceptably slow and poorly managed in this day and age - can we have a proper FTP site for this please so we can use a proper download-manager client like CuteFTP?

EDIT: Ok, disconnected entirely now and the origin server not responding (checking it with a connection manager)
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Update/bump: after 9 hours downloading I'm up to 19%. NOT GOOD!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAmyWeaver View Post
Update/bump: after 9 hours downloading I'm up to 19%. NOT GOOD!
Finally finished downloading at 00:30... two days to download a game? sheesh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
The Star Trek Downloader is just a tiny embedded torrent client (using libtorrent). If your network or ISP block/throttle torrents then it can indeed go slowly. You may have better results using a "real" client since our mini one doesn't support protocol encryption (which can sometimes defeat basic bittorrent filtering).
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm getting the same problems. I get a burst of about 200Kb/s for about 20 seconds then nothing for about 15 mins, then another 20 second burst.

I tried the BitTorrent version but there are no seeders so that's also not an option. I can normally hit 2Mb/s with a good torrent and I am not being throttled by my ISP.

Coderanger, you mentioned using a "Real" client. You mean like BitTorrent?
Lt. Commander
# 7 Downloader Problem
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Downloaded the Downloader and tried to run it. Keep getting 'No Internet connectivity detected. Please reconnect and try again'. I'm sure there nothing wrong with my internet connection and nothing is being blocked. Sometimes nothing comes up but is running in the task Manager. Anyone ran into this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks