Lt. Commander
# 1 translation to german
01-31-2012, 01:13 AM
It's really nice, that the translation of the game to german language goes on and on!!

BUT you don't have to translate everything... especially the proper names of ships and weapons.
yesterday i saw, that the Nebula-class now is called "Nebel" - that's the right translation, but it makes not sense.

There were much more things like that, but i don't remember now... i will look for it and report...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Agreed. Names of equipment, ships, places and people should usually not be translated to avoid confusion, but the rest of the tests for all the missions should be.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2012, 05:43 AM
Please, translate the game to spanish following the same specifications. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtus
It's really nice, that the translation of the game to german language goes on and on!!

BUT you don't have to translate everything... especially the proper names of ships and weapons.
yesterday i saw, that the Nebula-class now is called "Nebel" - that's the right translation, but it makes not sense.

There were much more things like that, but i don't remember now... i will look for it and report...
Erm... really?

Thank my english teachers I NEVER have to suffer through this!!!!

I still have nightmares from the "Ablative Armierung" desaster in the German version of DS9!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
Erm... really?

Thank my english teachers I NEVER have to suffer through this!!!!

I still have nightmares from the "Ablative Armierung" desaster in the German version of DS9!!!

Germans are weird. German itself is weird. But yes - if you do it, do it right.

Always keep the simple rules in mind:

1. Don't use online translators 1:1

2. Names stay English (ships, worlds, space, personal, etc.)

3. You have to define how you want to express weapons, equipment and the like. Better keep the English expression. All Germans can understand basic English and weapon effects are self speaking.

4. When it comes to mission text or explanations work very accurately. It does not need to be a 1:1 translation. It lies in the power of the translating person to correctly transfer the meaning and flair of the message into German.

Suggestion to Perfect World/Cryptic:

There are so many talented, cheap German workers among the fanbase that would be glad to translate STO text files from English to German.

Therfore I suggest to offer jobs for Germans on 400 basis that are not taxed (in Germany) and gives some mone to poor students - they have time, they love STO, the speak propper English. Maybe it would be worthwile to investigate opportunities for US companies to make use of it outside USA in terms of translating STO?