02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Watching some DS8

3x01; The Search
Lt. Commander
# 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbert View Post
oh so you have an SLA with the subscribers that you're going to be up with no unscheduled outages 99% of the time? Remember 2-nines is 1.7 hours of downtime per week.

We see outages like this on all gaming plaforms, from CCP's daily 1-hour dt and occasional crash of Eve Online (with the more severe crashes resulting in a complete database reversion!) to EA's Battlefield/Battlelog server outages (scheduled and unscheduled). So the next time Twitter gives you the failwhale you're gonna hop on and complain that you'll do a better job too, right?

Gimme a break.
Hey lol cool down.

I have my own bone to pick with cryptic, but that's left for another day and topic. I'm just tired of hearing idiotry about "healthy development schedule" - thing is, a crash is a mishap that should not happen. Happens everywhere? true. It's unavoidable? Mostly true as well.

Still, it's something that SHOULD NOT happen. Not part of a "healthy development schedule" - or you develop for crashes? Or as someone else said "test your limits" on a production server?

I'm having fun here (except that I'd like to understand if it comes back in half an hour - and I wait - or 5 hours - and I'll go do somethg else) - just going with the nerdrage flow. Why not?

BTW, CCP's DT is scheduled (and it's down to 1/2 now, they claim they'll turn it to zero in may, not sure if they'll manage). Crashes aren't that often (not sure how often they happen in STO since I played in closed beta and only the last week) - but last time one happened they gave free skillpoints for an equivalent of the downtime suffered. Not anything to party about, I know. It's a different way of handling people's complaints.

Next time EVE, or any website, goes down I'll do what I'm doing now: roam the forums and see what gives. Unless it's my own company's - in that case I'll be on the phone with the boss of my boss trying to explain that yes, **** happens and we're working on it.

But SLA or not (we have a 99.9% on some services), I doubt I'll tell him it's "part of a healthy development schedule" or that "servers are as likely to crash as computers", because if I did he'd just fire me. With a blowtorch first and from the company next.
Lt. Commander
# 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevearo
Wrong analogy. It isn't congestion we are talking about, but structural support. Like making a 4 lane highway bridge that collapses any time 2 trucks are on it simultaneously.
No, it's a perfectly appropriate analogy, and there are a lot more than two trucks on the Route Cryptic bridge right now. Cryptic has been up without unscheduled downtime better than 99.9 percent of the time since F2P went live, and this Anniversary/Q weekend is a a rare event with quite a bit of customer draw built in. Rather than making guesses about how many trucks are going over the bridge, I'm just going to point out F2P, Q and the Anniversary weekend and say "shrug." It's not surprising. No one would build their data infrastructure to support that kind of spike in user load. That's a major undertaking, and a company wouldn't shell out for that kind of project without a very, very strong business case -- not just because the customers are going to rush the servers one weekend in February.

I understand that you're frustrated. I am too. But I think your expectations are more than a little unreasonable. Just have a little patience.
Lt. Commander
# 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Dear Cryptic

So, yeah. That happened. Server is borked, has been for a good while now. I assume you're working on it, as I am fairly optimistic.

You're probably reading this thread, passing over all the ridiculous requests for "compensation", like free EDC's or whatever. But this downtime has interrupted a relatively short event weekend, and one very meaningful for the game. On top of this, it has reduced the amount of time available for these free giveaway items, most notably the bortaS and Odyssey. Some players might not have been able to play until this weekend. Others might not get another chance now that the weekdays are done. And this downtime has angered many just in general.

I propose, then, that the event be extended through Monday. A single extra day to make up for this downtime. An extra chance to grab the items for those who may have lost that chance tonight.

Thank you for our time.
Dear Valued Customer

We are working around the clock to return the server to normalcy. We have taken into consideration you're request but have to inform you at this time that it will not be granted. The event will conclude as scheduled, we may decide to give those affected a free tribble however. If you should wish a free tribble, please send a ticket to customer support indicating your desire to have a free tribble as compensation for this unscheduled down time.

-Yours Truly
Lt. Commander
# 225
i was making a klingon quest but i have seen disconnected from the server
Cryptic, i love the game but there are many maintenance!
Lt. Commander
# 226 not at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevearo
So, that would make you the third third in this section?
nah im the guy who decides to just leave them all too it, not moaning about problems tends to make it easyer for everyone.

cryptics server is down. its not the end of the world people are having pure nerd rage like its never coming back up.

the CE story is a whole different colour of messed up. people need to communicate instead of just having a big weeing contest, because lets face it, its a game.
Lt. Commander
# 227
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliquity View Post
So.. why is everyone crying about "scheduled downtime" when the title says "Unscheduled downtime" . Which I'm glad they are doing as I was having unusual problems earlier today. At least they are working on it right away and on a weekend to boot. It's a game. Put down the redbulls. Go outside. Let your eyes adjust to the light. And do something productive for once in your lives. =) I took my kids tobogganing. Welcome to real life. Cheers.
Because when the thread was originally posted, it did say "Scheduled".

The Devs posted apologising back on page 2 and corrected it.
Lt. Commander
# 228
Ok... the server is actually up! GO GO GO!
Lt. Commander
# 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
MEh, at least Insurrection didn't spit on Gene's grave and kill the image of a 45+ year old franchise and replace it with lens flare, sex, and explosions, etc. Sad to see ST 2013 is still happening.
If you think Star Trek is weak enough to die because of lens flare, sex and explosions, then you are a man of little faith.

Besides. If lens flare, sex and explosions can kill Star Trek, Enterprise did it long before JJ Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 230
Put me in the extend it a day group.

I timed playing so i could maximize how many times i could do the event, all around my very busy work schedule, this is really messing it up.

(oh, and its back online)
Closed Thread