Lt. Commander
# 251
02-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark_Kent View Post
No, it's a perfectly appropriate analogy, and there are a lot more than two trucks on the Route Cryptic bridge right now. Cryptic has been up without unscheduled downtime better than 99.9 percent of the time since F2P went live, and this Anniversary/Q weekend is a a rare event with quite a bit of customer draw built in. Rather than making guesses about how many trucks are going over the bridge, I'm just going to point out F2P, Q and the Anniversary weekend and say "shrug." It's not surprising. No one would build their data infrastructure to support that kind of spike in user load. That's a major undertaking, and a company wouldn't shell out for that kind of project without a very, very strong business case -- not just because the customers are going to rush the servers one weekend in February.

I understand that you're frustrated. I am too. But I think your expectations are more than a little unreasonable. Just have a little patience.
I'm not frustrated at all, I am just saying that this was preventable, and that saying it isn't is just silly. Let's look at your rush hour analogy. You have a small corridor that has a lot of traffic on it, the traffic moves at a crawl, sometimes stopping, but generally moving forward

Now let's look at mine, you have a section that when subjected to the right load, the infrastructure collapses and results in a total stoppage.

If there is an absolute load to a bridge, you design it so that that amount cannot be crossed. This is traditionally the purpose of a Login Queue. If it is a overload problem, it is totally preventable.

Now I will concede that if it is a situation like lightning hit their server facility and slagged a ton of their infrastructure, it's unavoidable and unforeseeable. Otherwise, they had the ability to prepare for this, and denying that doesn't do anyone any good.
Lt. Commander
# 252
Quote:
It one day end up like that other MMO (forgot name) that accidentally wiped all thier severs and all thier back ups thus destroying the entire MMO and everyones accounts.
I seriously doubt this has ever actually happened. I know some MMOs have screwed up server switches and the likes so bad that they simply closed (Like NavyFIELD Hong Kong), but I've never heard of an MMO wiping everyone's accounts AND the (usually off-site) backups.
Lt. Commander
# 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I mean this in a completely honest way: If you're not a Trek fan...then why are you here?
Simple, I like the Star Trek movie that was in threaters, my friend back in high school played played this when it came out and wanted me to try it, I didn't then because it was sub, and I enjoy space combat/ship combat game and play F2P games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBishop
BBCA is showing TNG with another episode after this one then Battlestar Galactica
Saw those to, thought the movie sounded better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
How is this possible?
Simple, I have now only seen 2 star trek movies counting Insurrection and the one in threaters, so I have nothing to really compare it to.
Lt. Commander
# 254
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
This thread is further evidence of why dealing with zombies is better than dealing with customers.
Lt. Commander
# 255
02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razski View Post
As already been stated, you can't count Perfect World Entertainment, they weren't there at the start, I'm talking about the developers, Cryptic.
I thought he was asking why STO was given to Perfect World.
Lt. Commander
# 256
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
I seriously doubt this has ever actually happened. I know some MMOs have screwed up server switches and the likes so bad that they simply closed (Like NavyFIELD Hong Kong), but I've never heard of an MMO wiping everyone's accounts AND the (usually off-site) backups.
Actually it was reported by IGN mid last year when the servers were accidently wiped clean and so the developers appolagised to everyone and decided to just close up rather than try and relaunch and compensate users.

Thinking about it, I do believe that was a F2P MMO as well.
Lt. Commander
# 257
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Aside from Blizzard and World of ********, what MMO developer in 2009 would you say had a string of successful MMOs?

My point - take blizzard and WoW out of the equation, and Cryptic seems no better or worse then any other MMO developer out there; and their first MMO - "City of Heroes" did well enough for NCSoft over its lifecycle.
Blizzard doesn't even belong in the category you propose - they haven't had a string of successful MMOs. They have... *one.* A single datapoint doesn't indicate a trend, nor qualify as a string. :-)

I'd argue your opinion of Turbine, though - they've had a string...they're one of the few that have. 4 MMOs: AC, AC2, DDO and LOTRO. I think AC was the most... "successful" - yet underrated. It depends on how you measure success, though. It's lasted the longest in a paid sub mode. But I dont think it ever got over about 400K subs. To some people, AC2 was a better game. I don't agree - it was a decent enough game, but it was a poor sequel. If it had been given a different name and not something that made people think "Oh! AC with better graphics" only to be disappointed when it was actually an entirely new mechanic as well...it would have done much better. DDO was declining, F2P saved it. And proved that the F2P model can make more money then a paid sub... hence LOTRO. Both are in better shape now then they were 2 years ago, and LOTRO just announced a huge expansion for the fall, less then a year after the previous one...and with free updates between now and then.

STO has, today, started to show that the playerbase is growning - hence the queues. This is a good thing. STO has always had a microtransaction model, this isn't new. You've always had the C-Store. They're now showing that by not charging a subscription, and relying solely on microtransactions, the game can grow.

Seems like a win, to me.
Lt. Commander
# 258
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Wow, I got to page 16 of reading this and I now feel DUMB. How many brain cells did I just lose?

Seriously though, people need to chill. When it goes down, take a stroll, grab a drink, bio. Some of you just need to take a few steps back and chill out.

Also, as far as I remember the downtime notices posted by 2CrypticOps are automated. That means a person did not make a physical typo. They corrected it when they got a minute yet people still cry. Really, if you hate the company that much go play a game by a company you like. Simples aint it.
Lt. Commander
# 259
02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
The shard is back online. Thank you for playing Star Trek Online.
Closed Thread