Lt. Commander
# 1 Odyssey Graphical Nitpicking
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Disclaimer - In this thread, I only plan to discuss graphical issues/suggestions for the Odyssey. I will not discuss anything about the ship aside from those, and I would politely ask that any feedback about its consoles, boff stations, etc, go elsewhere.

With that out of the way, I gotta say, I love the look of the Odyssey class ship - so much that I'm using it as my main ship, and have retired my faithful Sovereign. I've spent more than a few minutes poring over it, and I have a few minor (or not minor) suggestions I'd like to bring to CaptLogan's attention.

My first question/issue involves the underside of the saucer, specifically how dual beam arrays display when fired. Here's a picture to demonstrate.

The two areas with the white circles are where Dual Beam banks fire from. Aside from the fact it doesn't look like those are phaser strips in the circled areas, if the enemy ship is above the Odyssey, it looks like the DBBs are firing through the hull. I suggest if the target is above the ship, to have the DBBs shown firing from the top strips on the saucer. I've no idea how possible that would be though.

Second, much more minor suggestion is you can see the two torp launchers in the picture... but whenever I fire torps, HYT or not, they only seem to fire from one side - the one of the left in the picture. How possible would it be, for ships with only one fore torpedo, to have the torps alternate which side they shoot from?

Third, slightly less minor issue - the yellow stars show that the windows and that little "vent" occupy the same place.

My next question comes from this screenshot here. I don't know if it's just the shape of the nacelle, the perspective, or that the side of the ship makes it near impossible to get a straight on side view, but the ship registry looks crooked, and slightly distorted. Anyone else think so?

Last, but not least, I present this shot, specifically the windows in the red box. The window strips in the blue sections seem to be bowed outward in a way that isn't caused by any shape of the hull, and I think they'd look better straight.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2012, 09:07 PM
The thing that I dislike, its not a big deal game breaker or anything but when the target is behind and above the Odyssey the phasers fire from right at the tip of the end of the nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
That's because there's an actual beam array at the rear end of the nacelle, Sorotia.

Me, I like it. It's inspired and different.

As for the dual beam arrays... I was hoping to see them fire from the actual phaser strips.

Cannons seem to fire from the same spot as the torpedoes. It's almost TOS in feel, a bit wierd, but I don't really mind it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
That's because there's an actual beam array at the rear end of the nacelle, Sorotia.

Me, I like it. It's inspired and different.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool too. To add to your list, OP, I've noticed the Fed logos on some Material skins shows up red like it does on the NX (something I've brought up a few times in the big thread over in the art section).

Otherwise, I am absolutely in love with this ship.