Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfctrl
I hear that borg characters are superior due to the "Borg Nanites" and "Efficient Captain" traits. I know that "Efficient Captain" can also be selected with other races, but "Borg Nanites" is exclusive.

Oh well, I guess I will be waiting until it goes on sale for $200 (or less).
The Nanites are cool, not a given though, you have to select it as one of your traits when you make one. Also it's very similar to Mind Meld if you roll a Vulcan. I actually have both, a Vulcan/w Mind Meld and the lib/borg w/ Nanites, however I find the Nanites gets resisted a lot. Basically it stuns/slows the target for a little bit of time. Nothing all that great, although it is nifty.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't thinkg the game is going to go under any time soon man... there's a whole new life to it since F2P (something I initially was against), and I'm even considering spending extra money now in addition to the life-time I've got.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
I know the regular price is $300 and it is currently $240. But I am planning on holding out until it reverts to $200 (or lower) as it once did.
Just so you are aware, if your target price is $200 it will take two years before the value of your LTS will mature. Just be sure you understand what you are purchasing.

To be perfectly honest with you, there is absolutely no value whatsoever to buying an LTS at this time unless:
  1. You had a subscription in the past and are therefore not starting your vet rewards at 0 days
  2. You like the unique vet rewards offered after 700 days (anything under 700 days is cheaper with a sub)
  3. Feel the urge to pay $200 to play as a Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Hi, I was considering getting myself a lifetime subscription. But I had a few questions that need to be answered before I commit myself.

1) I already bought the "1 Billion Energy Credits" upgrade for my account. Seeing that lifetime subscribers are considered "gold" members, that means they already get the above-mentioned upgrade for free. So will I get a refund of the Cryptic points I spent on this upgrade?
No

2) I am concerned about the viability of STO over the long term. Are there any guarantees that further content will be added to the game?
No

Also, are there any guarantees that this game will even exist 20 months from now? ($300 divided by $15 = 20 months playtime)
No

3) When would the best time to buy a subscription be?
I know the regular price is $300 and it is currently $240. But I am planning on holding out until it reverts to $200 (or lower) as it once did.

It's never going under $200 again, there might be a sale for anniversary, but LTS isn't worth it unless you want to waste cash. Imo.
Answers in red.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, I just made the commitment of purchasing a lifetime subscription.

All I can hope for now is that the game continually expands with new content and that the player base increases.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Congrats, getting to be a Borg is totally worth it imo. I've been a Borg freak since I was 11 years old(when they first showed in season 2), there's no other ST character I would personally want to be. People will tell you that this is worth that or that is worth this, or this or that is too much money ect. If you have the income do what you want, not what others tell you.

I collect 1/6 action figures by a company called Hot Toys, those run between $200 and $300. This to me is like just buying another one of those toys, except it does more than sit on a self haha.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Rules of thumb:

Once Cryptic has your money, they never give them back. This has been discussed before and its a general policy.

There are several examples of people requesting refunds for various reasons (Purchase by mistake, too many clicks, item not living up to description and so on) here on the forums, but extremely few of those have actually been accomadated.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition

Quote:
Rule of Acquisition #1:

Once you have their money, you never give it back.

#17:

A deal is a deal

#102:

Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever.

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2012, 01:40 PM
If Star Wars Galaxies survived NGE for 6 years, then STO will survive until you get your money's worth. Besides millions were spent on PWE purchasing this game last year so they will try to get their money back.

Although if the game was originally F2P, then I would have seriously consider purchase a lifetime subscription instead of for $240 I can play the game whenever I want seeing how I spent more than that in my first MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Well yeah, I would continue playing STO indefinitely. But that is assuming that additional content is made (or expansion packs sold).
When the term "content" is mentioned , veteran STO fans will either shudder , or remind you that Cryptic sometimes has funny ideas as to what constitutes as "content" .
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
When the term "content" is mentioned , veteran STO fans will either shudder , or remind you that Cryptic sometimes has funny ideas as to what constitutes as "content" .
I thought we were told to consider...

+1 Ships
Uniforms
Pets
Ship costumes

... content?!?

Also missions is NOT content as far as we were told... Thats what the foundry is for.

I am puzzled...