Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I was wondering what programs were good for editing some ingame screenshots. I have been messing around with Microsoft point which was free on my comp to make a good signature for my profile, but I am not finding it easy to use to edit screenshots. I would like to know if there is a program good for cropping and placing other images in for example take a picture of my ship in space and add a picture of my captain to it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Paint.net
Gimp
GIMPshop
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
Paint.net
Gimp
GIMPshop
What one did you find to be the most user friendly I am new at editing pictures and do not know a whole lot and thanks for the list.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSmith
What one did you find to be the most user friendly I am new at editing pictures and do not know a whole lot and thanks for the list.
Gimp is the most powerful of those but it's also the least intuitive of the bunch with the steepest learning curve.
You'd be better off paying for Photoshop Elements as there are a plethora of learning tools and tutorials about.

Gimpshop is closest to photoshop in feel ( as was the intention ) but paint is the simplest to use.

ImageMagick, ImageForge Ultimate Paint and Pixia could also be considered but at the end of the day for layered image manipulation there is no substitute for photoshop.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Jasc PaintShopPro 7

You can get the trail version for free from many places and it never expires. It's almost 10 years old now but it's really powerful and can achieve many of the effects and processes of Photoshop and Illustrator. Whats more, if deals with raster 'and' vector based graphics, which i find very useful and is the reason I still actually use it! I will iterate that Illustrator and Photoshop are superior in many ways, but for an amateur, PSP7 is an excellent program. Don't get the newer versions, since Corel bought Jasc out, they morphed it into 2 seperate programs (like photoshop and Illustraor) which i find far less intuitive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the list of programs I have found some great tutorials on GIMP on youtube, definitely will try the others.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Highly recommend Gimp
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Truth be told I still use copy of PSP 5 that I got free when I bough my last PC in 1999. I use it for light editing since it is so light on my system. :p

I have my copy of Photoshop 7 from college for "heavier" stuff. Granted it's almost as old
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Gimp is pretty good and has most of the features of Photoshop, but the controls are just ever-so-slightly different from Photoshop that if you're really comfortable with Photoshop controls & shortcuts, it becomes really annoying to use.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
hmm... I think I'll try out Gimpshop