Lt. Commander
# 1 Beginning The Game
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
As I said in my last post I am a relatively new member only 200 days, but I still remember my first day.

When I first started the game I was amazed by the opining, especially the cinematic, but one thing has been nagging me sense that day. I shall now recall to you my thoughts when I reached Earth space dock: WOW, that's Earth Space Dock. OMG, the doors are opening for my ship. Maneuvering thrusters, this is going to be EPIC. Then, the loading screen of disappointment. Did anyone think of putting a docking animation there, nothing fancy, nothing long, but just a fly by like in the Search for Spok. I know what you're going to say, but that's going to bug anyone who just wants to get in and out. Simple answer, no, it won't, for one reason, anybody that just wants to get in and out uses the button dock, I mean that is why the Devs put it there. Hay, just had a brain wave, maybe they could do something like what they did for the Odyssey. I just think that this simple change would really make a difference, and attract more treky gamers.

My rant is now over, I shall return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Additional: Like what they did with the Odyssey, but would like a change in back ground music, something a little more epic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
some animation or what i would love is, being able to fly the ship in yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papragu
some animation or what i would love is, being able to fly the ship in yourself.
I might scrape the paint..and they would just not be on!! :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2012, 07:00 PM
i remember my first day in STO.

i'd downloaded the client a few days before, once my email came through letting me know i could. I waited for the time when the servers would open up for play.. and what did i spend most of my first playsession doing?

staring at a loading screen of a one-eyed klingon....

Closed beta's epic klingon load-screen-of-death, which would eat up at least 1/4th of the 2 hour playslots every time.

The game has come a HELL of a long way in terms of cosmetic features and touches, I also remember there being animated load screens (quite different to the ones we have now) for a while, and voice options for Boffs too.. (i wonder if those files are still in the client?)

Everyone wants that little something which to them is "trek", the team can only do so much at a time.. the whole "ESD loading=docking sequence" thing has been requested repeatedly since they put in the classic ESD last year.. i'm sure once they work out how to do it without screwing everything else up, and have time to work on it they'll get round to putting it in game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingi
Everyone wants that little something which to them is "trek", the team can only do so much at a time.. the whole "ESD loading=docking sequence" thing has been requested repeatedly since they put in the classic ESD last year.. i'm sure once they work out how to do it without screwing everything else up, and have time to work on it they'll get round to putting it in game.
This was awhile ago, so it would be a pain to link too, but i have read that they were looking into some sort of docking sequence cut screen.

What i've heard most often is that some limit to the engine makes space cut screens complicated.

The first time i did the Odyssey shake down mission, the cut screen messed up for me, and instead of showing the Odyssey, it showed my ship. With any luck, they have somewhat resolved this limit to the engine, and we may indeed see a ESD socking sequence in the coming months.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Praetori View Post
This was awhile ago, so it would be a pain to link too, but i have read that they were looking into some sort of docking sequence cut screen.

What i've heard most often is that some limit to the engine makes space cut screens complicated.

The first time i did the Odyssey shake down mission, the cut screen messed up for me, and instead of showing the Odyssey, it showed my ship. With any luck, they have somewhat resolved this limit to the engine, and we may indeed see a ESD socking sequence in the coming months.
oh i'm pretty sure they can do it.

intitially the camera's didnt pan for warps, nor did the ships re-align themselves, resulting in warping through planets more often then not!

its a question of importance vs demand vs cost (in terms of time/money invested in the creation of it)

is it important? does the game not work without it? are people leaving the game because of this? does the whole thing fall down without it?

what is the demand? are 30 new threads started about it in every section of the forum every hour? are players, reviewers and critics calling for this as an essential requirement to the game?

how much will it cost? will the engine require a major overhaul? can it be done with existing tech? would thousands of maps require custom editing to allow it to happen? will lots of people have to spend days working on it?

when something ticks all the right boxes in the above, it'll happen pretty damn quick.. (Bortas in Qo'noS spacedock for example... everyone wanted it, people were pretty upset it wasnt there and it was a quick, easy problem to resolve, putting a model in one map) but when it requires more effort, it takes longer (sitting-in-chairs-tech as a prime example, asked for from the moment interiors came in and took close to a year or more to actually happen)

so will there be animated docking sequences for ESD? probably, but i for one wont be holding my breath for it!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I remember the first day I loaded STO, What a crash fest! (Of course, it was Closed Beta!) so you have to give it a benefit of a doubt