Lt. Commander
# 31
12-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post

That games like Eve online have proven how much of a draw pvp can be is soundly ignored. And that is a game where death HURTS....
Not really... if you would remove all the carebares, complexers and full time traders and manufacturer the pvp crowed would be tiny... its the mix that makes eve successful... I played eve for 3 years... had not a single pvp battle.. .but a few billion isk... :p
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
cryptic does not care for pvp.
no money there to be made.
/thread

Blame Fed vs Fed pvp...many said not to do that..Cryptic cared less what we said...and now pvp has been dead for a year.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-24-2011, 08:09 AM
They need to remove Fed vs Fed and keep it for private games only(I.E not counting for missions).
Seriously, the Federation and the Klingon Empire is supposed to be at war, but the Feds are more content with playing wargames with themselves than fighting Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm probably the only one who likes unbalance and randomness in pvp. Seems like things just turn into cryings and nerf fests when MMO try to do the balance act. Plus the PVE people end up getting nerfed for PvP and that is no fun for them. You get your build screwed because some whiner can't stand that fact that a build is better at a certain aspect.

Ofcousre my taste are rather radical in the first place. I would like the option to play on a permadeath server. Also I PVE 95% of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
As Critical as I have been with Cryptic's dealings with the overall aspects of this game, I'm going to give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think it is so much that Cryptic HATES the PvP aspect of this game, due to it not making any money from it, its the mere fact that they are bogged down with other aspects of this game. this range from CStore design, overhauls of certain elements of this game, and pretty much the PVE content, that and the lack of staffing. That makes it difficult to have a dedicated staff focus solely on the PvP aspect of STO.

Simply put:

STO PVP portion is currently broken and possibly placed on hiatus for the time being. PWE expressed their desire for a multi faction and territorial control feature, this is further enhanced by their desire for a third faction (Possibly the Romulans - keeping our fingers crossed on that one).

So I am going to reluctantly DEFEND Cryptic on this one, despite the ton of issues they have, both current and in the past.

(SIDE NOTE: Cryptic can you please fix the Klingon PVE mission "Keep your Enemies Closer," I hate to skip a main story arc due to bugs - and that one is one hell of a BUG) :p
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Compared to the problems the competitor is facing with their PvP System, Cryptic can actually breath a sigh of relief. And at the same time learn.

For instance, their war zones would be a nice map for part of the territorial control that is currently being investigated. And having a dynamic map on various worlds, then STO's PvP could start to flourish. (But of course the new rebalancing issues need to be dealt with first).
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Compared to the problems the competitor is facing with their PvP System, Cryptic can actually breath a sigh of relief. And at the same time learn.

For instance, their war zones would be a nice map for part of the territorial control that is currently being investigated. And having a dynamic map on various worlds, then STO's PvP could start to flourish. (But of course the new rebalancing issues need to be dealt with first).
and thats the crux of the issue - since most vessels are P2W items, along with the nightmare job of going over every single highend piece of equipment in game.

This of course has a semi-solution in making PVP exclusive items (Including ship versions), that can be earned in game or bought as a bundle deal in the CStore - OMG did I just give Crypic a brilliant idea?

Semi-solution in that they still have to look into skills revamping - They may just end up going the route Guild Wars took, making separate skill stats for the same skills for both PVE and PVP. Though that may be extremely tough to implement due to the nature of the beast here.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Semi-solution in that they still have to look into skills revamping - They may just end up going the route Guild Wars took, making separate skill stats for the same skills for both PVE and PVP. Though that may be extremely tough to implement due to the nature of the beast here.
Given what is going on with TOR, that would be a very, very bad idea. People are going frantic over gear and PvP boosted stats.

I said it for a very long time but if a game should get ideas for PvP it would be Everquest. Where abilities does 100% damage in PvE, and in PvP their abilities are X value. That way they could be easily tweeked without having to nerf the entire thing.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Given what is going on with TOR, that would be a very, very bad idea. People are going frantic over gear and PvP boosted stats.

I said it for a very long time but if a game should get ideas for PvP it would be Everquest. Where abilities does 100% damage in PvE, and in PvP their abilities are X value. That way they could be easily tweeked without having to nerf the entire thing.
Actually you just brought an excellent PVP model to the forefront, I forgot all about Everquest and their PVP model.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
This thread has been closed because I don't like Zombies.

And neither should you! Remember, any threads over 30 days don't respond too! Make a new one to continue the discussion!
Closed Thread