Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Custom Missions
02-06-2012, 02:38 AM
I've noticed upon my return from a long absence from the game, custom missions are in, along with other things, I appologise if this isn't in the correct place, couldn't see anywhere more fitting right off.

Anyway, more to the point.

Has anyone made (or thought of) a series of missions where you start off at the lowest rank within whatever faction, I only really play Federation so it'd be Cheif (lowest pip) where each episode or multiple, would be based around that rank, so first few episodes would be low level missions and mostly ship functions.

It would also give more of a use for uniforms with the Cheif pip and Lt.Junior pip.

I just thought an experiance other than CO of a ship would be something intresting to expierance.

Oh and no I couldn't make one myself, map building and story writing aren't my strong points :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Moved this to Foundry Discussion and actually subscribed to this thread as I'm kinda curious now that you brought it up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-06-2012, 03:49 AM
When I started toying around with the Foundry,I had similar thoughts about a small "campaign".

My idea goes into a different direction though. I thought about 3 mission series based on the 3 careers:Tactical, Science and Engineer - because there is nothing "official" like this (which is a shame!).

But in the end I abandoned the idea realizing that only combat-heavy (=tactical) missions give proper rewards both in drops and skill points

Of course if things change, I am ready to pick this idea up again
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Honestly for me I don't give a rats butt about the combat. I actually read the entire story If it's got a good story arc and leads somewhere I'd play it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-06-2012, 04:35 AM
I think the problem with the idea is it requires the player to play along. When you try to do something like this, you run into problems where people are upset because it doesn't fit their back story. Or the character doesn't act how they'd expect theirs to act.

Some people even get annoyed when they "visit the bridge" in a mission and it's not their bridge (since we have no idea what bridge they are using).

I could see this maybe working if you had it be the holodeck reenactment of some important person's life. You'd need to do something like that to make it so people could simply accept the back story.

Even so, the powers granted us by the Foundry tools might be too limited. We can't set the players to have a certain vessel or anything else. So, it's hard to place them in a specific situation unless it's all on the ground.

I think it's possible to have a campaign, or series where you interact with some of the same characters over the course of it, but I don't think it's worthwhile to try to make the player a chief or low level officer. They just have to be treated as a captain throughout.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Moved this to Foundry Discussion and actually subscribed to this thread as I'm kinda curious now that you brought it up.
Thanks, I only just noticed this section now, sorry :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryteller0
My idea goes into a different direction though. I thought about 3 mission series based on the 3 careers:Tactical, Science and Engineer - because there is nothing "official" like this (which is a shame!).

But in the end I abandoned the idea realizing that only combat-heavy (=tactical) missions give proper rewards both in drops and skill points
I was going to expand on the diffrent careers but I was asking if it existed first, if I could make it then I would do one for each. As with combat, I'm not bothed about that, skill points are irrelevent at level 50 anyway, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think the problem with the idea is it requires the player to play along. When you try to do something like this, you run into problems where people are upset because it doesn't fit their back story. Or the character doesn't act how they'd expect theirs to act.
Seems a bit silly because there are official missions where you might not act how you want to, so I would ignore those sorts of people myself :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think it's possible to have a campaign, or series where you interact with some of the same characters over the course of it, but I don't think it's worthwhile to try to make the player a chief or low level officer. They just have to be treated as a captain throughout.
The game already allows you to be treated as a captain throughout though, what I wanted to know or see was something where you could be treated as a low level officer, for fun and the experiance of it because you see the game from a diffrent angle.

It's like a game like Fallout 3, one of the things I wanted to do was play as though I worked in the vault and had a story there. Just to experiance another part of the game that isn't officially in it.

The thing is though, there are historical points which could be used for any mission with progression through ranks.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 PM.