Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas2409

I mean I'm sure most of the player base that was here before P2W and the dilithium grind fest started aren't happy with the state of the game, myself included.

The thing that bugs me is that this dev team have shown time and time again they can make kick *** content when they want to, FE's, the original STF's, remastered episodes, so like I said why not more, story and content are paramount to a successful MMO and a happy player base IMHO, so why waste time making ridiculous events like chasing little Q's around the Academy? Seems a bit stupid.
First off, as a Veteran of over 700 days, please DONT put words in my mouth regarding how i feel about the state of the game. we all know what they say about the word ASSUME right?

secondly, as has been stated, the dev team is small, be it by choice or financial strangulation from higher up, its a small team. all the wonderful FEs and stuff you mention takes time, effort, sometimes new tech pushed through from other parts of the company... but while they do that, who "watches the shop"? who fixes bugs, deals with things not working as planned or performs the endless list of alterations to existing content/models/environments/systems that the playerbase is constantly demanding with as firm a voice as you're demanding new content?

So it comes down to new content or stability and polish on whats here, the cryptic team is obviously trying to balance the two while building a team back up from the skeleton crew state Atari seems to have left them in.. because right now putting one above the other will obviously cause one to suffer.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
No offense, but I think you went on a needless rant there and misunderstood the man. To my understanding he is referring to more story arcs in the form of featured episodes. Also in regards to the grind, its in reference to the STFs. They broke up the heavy story driven original STF that needed to be completed in sequencial order in order to advance. It was a true gaming experience (despite some teaming up issues - especially for the KDF), unfortunately; due to the que system and the new gear, it in essence now has become a grindfest to acquire Mk X, Mk XI, and Mk XII gear.

I myself is not fond of the que system to a certain point. I don't mind it being used for events like the Defari event etc.. but the Borg STFs were meant to be epic, as in "Endgame" missions. I just wish those were never offered in a que system, and another alternative que system in Gamma sector be in placed, but thats my opinion.
This right here.

This is the same as WoW chopping up the original Molten Core and turning it from a 40 man raid, into a 20 minute five man. They completely destroyed the idea of endgame content by doing this. The story just halts after the last foray into Fluidic-space, and goes off in wild tangents in differing directions, all the while ignoring the primary story arch.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavase
I have to disagree in increasing the amount of FE.

I like them, I like playing them and I am looking forward to the new one being released, however, when these are being done, other things are being put on the back burner. They take up a lot of time and resources to complete, and FE provide little replay value. Another words, for countless hours spend in making them, we burn through them in a matter of a couple of hours at most.

I would much rather see these resources spent elsewhere rather than FE. For example, redo/re polish fleet actions, more STFs, open PvP zone(s) & more PvP content in general, fleet star bases, etc.
We need a better foundation for content for what we would do on a regular basis, or content which provides high replay value, then throw in a couple of FE in a year just to do something different.

FE shouldn't(and won't) be primary content of STO. You may disagree with that, but at the end of the day, this is an MMO. Not a single player in depth story arch. It COULD be that way, but what would be the point? You would play them, stop, and not come back until another FE is released. If Cryptic wants to keep people playing, it's not going to happen via FE, it'll be by other means.

IMO, two FE in a year is enough, provided that we get other content also.
This guy wins. I agree with everything he said, and he is right, FEs are nice and all, but with no replay value, they wont help the state of the game. Open PvP, Fleet Starbases, and other content that has replay value should be where Cryptic spends ALL their time on right now....

However, I'm still excited for the FE, even if its not the best choice of content development time
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
If they've got time to waste making those borg invasion events (ground and space) and the GTF's (Grind Task Forces) I'm sure they've got time to instead make story driven content and not just pointless battle scenarios that do nothing for the story or characters in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
If they've got time to waste making those borg invasion events (ground and space) and the GTF's (Grind Task Forces) I'm sure they've got time to instead make story driven content and not just pointless battle scenarios that do nothing for the story or characters in the game.
id hardly call it time wasted because it does not suit your personal taste. it might be pointless to you but that does not mean everybody finds it pointless to play. an mmo most appeal to a wide range of people and play styles. im sure there are loads of people who really enjoy that content despite the lack of story. that does not mean its a waste.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Can't agree with you. Me and my kids plus my fleet always enjoy Defera when we can find a suitable time. We all enjoy the STFs too, we don't think of them as a grind because we are in no hurry to get the end gear so do a couple each day plus the odd elite which I do not do for the EDC but for the challenge of getting through it.

I think you may be missing the point the a few others mentioned that FEs are great but are over in a short time no matter how many they do. It is the continuing day to day life in STO that needs improving. Lots of little things over one or two huge things. We all enjoy a vacation but if the rest of the year your life sucks then I'd sooner stay at home!
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Well all I can see since I have been here since beta along time ago is that content is scarce. There have been so many shake ups with people leaving, coming back etc. the whole F2P thing i think messed cryptic up as in say only 20-25 people working on game. They need to get alot more people in and start working on new content or this will be WoW all over again with us getting new content every couple of years after we were told there would be new content out alot faster after F2P was started.

Lets hope they get busy alot of people are tired of no new content, these Anniversary deals are getting boring, Q needs a holiday and they need to add new content and get new visions. I have not played alot since F2P and after them screwing up the STF's as they have that is one thing they need to relook at and fix.

Now i am not a fan boy or anything othter than someone who went lifetime when game first came out because I believed in what Cryptic was trying to do. So far I am a bit disappointed in what has come out since beginning. But I will stay and hopefully see something better down the road.

They really need more new content coming out as soon as they can to keep the player base moving along nicely. And I know it takes time to get new content out we all do but 1 year and really nothing new? to me that is really not giving the playerbase confidence in a company who says new content coming out soon......
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-06-2012, 08:42 AM
All the content that's left is grind, what's the point of repeating the same mission every day? That Defera invasion thing does nothing for the story I've tried it, just beam down shoot borg then laters champ.

Since when was that what Star Trek's about, at least TOR stays true to it's IP.

The STF's are barely a shadow of what they once were. I'd rather play Terradome then do one of the new STF's. The old ones you actually felt like you accomplished something at the end of the misson, especially when playing with fleet mates. It wasn't even about getting the gear for a lot of us, it was more about seeing what happens next on Star Trek.

People who say they don't care that there aren't many FE's or that the STF's aren't story driven anymore clearly aren't Star Trek fans, so I guess Cryptic may be succeeding in what they set to accomplish with P2W, which is driving the Star Trek fans away and making way for a bunch of randoms/very casual gamers.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Quote:
All the content that's left is grind, what's the point of repeating the same mission every day? That Defera invasion thing does nothing for the story I've tried it, just beam down shoot borg then laters champ.

Since when was that what Star Trek's about, at least TOR stays true to it's IP.

The STF's are barely a shadow of what they once were. I'd rather play Terradome then do one of the new STF's. The old ones you actually felt like you accomplished something at the end of the misson, especially when playing with fleet mates. It wasn't even about getting the gear for a lot of us, it was more about seeing what happens next on Star Trek.

People who say they don't care that there aren't many FE's or that the STF's aren't story driven anymore clearly aren't Star Trek fans, so I guess Cryptic may be succeeding in what they set to accomplish with P2W, which is driving the Star Trek fans away and making way for a bunch of randoms/very casual gamers.
I agree with some of what you are saying, the old STFs were much better in regard to the story arc but again once you'd played them there was no real reason to do them again, there wasn't even an elite version of them. So we are left back in the same position.

I cannot agree with your comment that people don't care about more FEs and are not Star Trek fans, nobody has said that they don't care about FEs but you have to be realistic. This is a small team of 20-30 Devs going through a huge transition in their company and there simply wasn't the time or money available to do FEs all the time if at all last year. Realistically as the company's profits improve and the game continues to grow we will see more FEs and other content. Just be patient, it will come, enjoy what is there.

For me without the fleet i am in I probably would not play much but we have such a terrific time re-running missions, fleet elite STFs, shuttle and ship PvP and tons of other events that the FEs are just the icing on the cake. We are all Star Trek fans or we would not be here writing on this forum.

Give it time and give them a chance to see what they are coming up with, from what I have heard the next year or so will have some stuff that's gonna blow your mind
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-07-2012, 04:23 AM
They did have elite STF's they were the version where you'd be awarded emblems on top of the actual Borg equipment award, and from what I've heard the old gear like the Borg and Aegis sets are actually better then the stuff you get from the 'new' STF's.