Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I would have said Breen as well, but the Deferi mission "Cold Storage" shows the two are fighting each other so I'd leave them out.
The thing is, here, the Breen would only be fighting the True Way Jem Hadar, and not the Dominion Jem Hadar (if that makes sense).

Having said that though, it may actually be wise to keep the Breen out of the Dominion package for the simple reason that they've essentially been let down by the Dominion once before (the Breen didn't really have a say in the surrender). It stands to reason they'd be quite bitter toward the Dominion and it's allies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
As for a motivation for the Son'a to be allied with the True Way (or rather a reason why they should continue to exist at all) would be IMO that they'd want to use Dominion cloning technology to prevent their "race" dying out since they didn't get access to the rejuvinating effects of the Ba'ku planet.
I like it. Good shout on the Tarlac and Ellora too, though I don't believe them to have their own ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
For the Remans, well we do know from the "Countdown" comics that they have their own ship designs which is why I was honestly surprised to see them using reskinned Romulan ships.

http://img1.imagebanana.com/img/asw9cy51/Remans2.jpg

http://img1.imagebanana.com/img/x68vic8/Reman.jpg
To be honest, with ships looking like those, it's no surprise they're using Romulan designs. :p Those ships from the comic are too similar to the Scimitar. They need a few unique looking ships, not scraps.

Edit: Maybe something like this: http://media.moddb.com/images/downlo.../remansaif.jpg
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, what ships are easily obtained by the remans? Romulan ships... Though they all have the reman shield design on it.

And, a large chunk of the remans we fight as enemies are working under the romulans still.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
Okay, so I've had (or rather, been playing) this game for a few weeks now, and today I came upon my first Reman vessel. At least, the description said it was a Reman vessel. Looked like your casual Romulan Warbird to me.

With respect, taking into account all the effort and creation that has gone in to creating the many Federation and Klingon designs, why the hell are the Reman's using Romulan designed vessels? Would it really have been that hard to get a few unique designs together? You guys managed it with the Orion, Gorn, Nausicaan, and the Fek'lhri, yet you've limited the Reman military to Romulan re-skins. Why?

The Reman's of the STO timeline are, as of now, living independent of the Empire. They should have their own ships. Hopefully this is something that could be looked into at a later date?
If you look at their ships, they're much shinier and have a different texture on their hulls. Remans and Romulans did use the same technology (in fact, it'd be a good guess that most Reman ships are stolen Romulan ones) and it's only recently (with the Reman FE) that the Remans are truly on their own and not a slave race to the Romulans. I'd actually surmise that Remans really never had their own ships before the explosion of their planet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
The thing is, here, the Breen would only be fighting the True Way Jem Hadar, and not the Dominion Jem Hadar (if that makes sense).

Having said that though, it may actually be wise to keep the Breen out of the Dominion package for the simple reason that they've essentially been let down by the Dominion once before (the Breen didn't really have a say in the surrender). It stands to reason they'd be quite bitter toward the Dominion and it's allies.
That's the big question anyway:

Would we get the Dominion as a faction or the True Way?

The Dominion, as it appears based on the background material, is sitting in the Gamma Quad doing nothing except disagree with Lars' methods.
So it seems they're no longer interested in messing around with anyone.
This is why I believe we'd get the True Way, which would also provide some more variety than a "true" Dominion which would be basically just JH, Vorta and possibly changelings.
In theory the Breen might be interested in joining the True Way if they became strong enough (IMO the Breen as depicted in this game seem to only respect overwhelming strength) but that might require some intelligent explanation to avoid conflicting the events of the Deferi arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
I like it. Good shout on the Tarlac and Ellora too, though I don't believe them to have their own ships?
Thanks.
I wouldn't be aware of them having their own ships and given Riker called them "primitive" might indicate they never had their own designs.
But the again the Vorta don't seem to have their own ships either so in theory we'd end up with a much larger variety on the ground than in space.
But I think that would be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
To be honest, with ships looking like those, it's no surprise they're using Romulan designs. :p Those ships from the comic are too similar to the Scimitar. They need a few unique looking ships, not scraps.

Edit: Maybe something like this: http://media.moddb.com/images/downlo.../remansaif.jpg
Yeah I know what you mean.
The problem with the Countdown comics is that I find little in them to be visually appealing.
This is for example how the Enterprise is depicted:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...bTY7izai24g%3D

http://6.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploa...-countdown.jpg

yes you can still identify her but given the...detail on the ship compared to a proper depiction you might guess how much better Reman ships would look if they hadn't been drawn in the comics first.

And that Reman ship is a good find.
Something like that could no doubt serve as inspriation for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavier View Post
Well, what ships are easily obtained by the remans? Romulan ships... Though they all have the reman shield design on it.
I sure don't doubt this, I just find it annoying to play against one race that is using anothers ships. The Reman were outcasts of the Empire for so long, and now, all of a sudden, the Romulans are allowing the Reman to use their brand new Warbird designs? Doesn't suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavier View Post
And, a large chunk of the remans we fight as enemies are working under the romulans still.
Has that been clarified anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
If you look at their ships, they're much shinier and have a different texture on their hulls. Remans and Romulans did use the same technology (in fact, it'd be a good guess that most Reman ships are stolen Romulan ones) and it's only recently (with the Reman FE) that the Remans are truly on their own and not a slave race to the Romulans. I'd actually surmise that Remans really never had their own ships before the explosion of their planet.
The Scimitar was a Reman design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Would we get the Dominion as a faction or the True Way?
Aren't the True Way a combination of Jem Hadar and Cardassian? That being the case, where you've got
Quote:
This is why I believe we'd get the True Way, which would also provide some more variety than a "true" Dominion which would be basically just JH, Vorta and possibly changelings.
would be incorrect as the Jem Hadar passing through (or rather, leaving) the wormhole are the remnants of a Dominion that was allied to the Cardassian, and at war with the Federation. Their technology would be out of date for starters; they've been stuck in limbo for a decade or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
But the again the Vorta don't seem to have their own ships either so in theory we'd end up with a much larger variety on the ground than in space. But I think that would be okay.
I think I would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
The problem with the Countdown comics is that I find little in them to be visually appealing.

yes you can still identify her but given the...detail on the ship compared to a proper depiction you might guess how much better Reman ships would look if they hadn't been drawn in the comics first.
The problem I think is conversion. It's easier to make a good looking design look bad (TNG film > comic) but to take a ship from a comic and make it look worthwhile, I think is a harder job. Not impossible by a long shot, but not the most logical choice. They'd be better off creating brand spanking new designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
And that Reman ship is a good find.
Ta ~ I know of it because it was released (as an addon) for Armada2 and Bridge Commander (part of the FileFront Network).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Something like that could no doubt serve as inspriation for Cryptic.
Here's hoping.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
Aren't the True Way a combination of Jem Hadar and Cardassian? That being the case, where you've gotwould be incorrect as the Jem Hadar passing through (or rather, leaving) the wormhole are the remnants of a Dominion that was allied to the Cardassian, and at war with the Federation. Their technology would be out of date for starters; they've been stuck in limbo for a decade or two.
I'm not entirely sure how these two points belong together.
So I hope you don't mind that I'll try to explain, perhaps if there's some kind of misunderstanding:

After the Dominion War, the Cardassians got a democratic government.
The True Way (lead by Gul Madred) tries to return to the old ways of the Central Command.
They're allied with the few changelings like Laas (sorry, "Lars" was a typo of mine)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Laas

that created their own Jem'Hadar to serve them.
They have nothing to do with the regular post-war Dominion (and are in fact considered renegades by them) just like their Jem'Hadar have little to do with the Jem'Hadar that serve to Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant.

Just to make clear what I mean by "True Dominion": I mean the Dominion of the time after the war, not the ships stuck in the wormhole.
What they'll do when they come out is not certain right now (my guess is they'll try to join the True Way, the closest thing to allies they have in the 25th century)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
The problem I think is conversion. It's easier to make a good looking design look bad (TNG film > comic) but to take a ship from a comic and make it look worthwhile, I think is a harder job. Not impossible by a long shot, but not the most logical choice. They'd be better off creating brand spanking new designs.
Well, the STO uniforms are based on the countdown comics and I think they turned out pretty well:

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/ima...comparison.jpg

so it might still be possible.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
It hasn't been offically cleared up, but if you look at it... In the hobus system, Remans there are tied to the groups in the Iconia system, which are working directly for Romulans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker

The Scimitar was a Reman design.
And, if memory serves (because I think my mind has been trying to block out that movie), it was orignially built for the Romulans until they were betrayed or some such. Regardless, it was built at a time when the Remans actually had resources under the Romulan Empire. Also, it seemed that ship was a 'one of a kind' flagship, and still is in the game as something similar is Empress Sela's ship and there only may be one other in one other mission (if it's not the same ship). That'd make only up to two Scimitar class ships currently in the game.

The Remans don't have the resources to build that kind of stuff currently, except now for the breakaway faction and their new base. So, having them using appropriated Romulan ships makes sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
After the Dominion War, the Cardassians got a democratic government. The True Way (lead by Gul Madred) tries to return to the old ways of the Central Command. They're allied with the few changelings like Laas (sorry, "Lars" was a typo of mine) that created their own Jem'Hadar to serve them.They have nothing to do with the regular post-war Dominion (and are in fact considered renegades by them) just like their Jem'Hadar have little to do with the Jem'Hadar that serve to Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant.
I believe it was me who was mistaken. I wasn't aware the True Way had any actual founders (changlings) or vorta with them. I thought it was a bunch of Cardassians that had begun cloning their own Jem Hadar. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Just to make clear what I mean by "True Dominion": I mean the Dominion of the time after the war, not the ships stuck in the wormhole. What they'll do when they come out is not certain right now (my guess is they'll try to join the True Way, the closest thing to allies they have in the 25th century)
Again, I assumed the Dominion Update was specifically to do with the returning Dominion ships, rather than the ones that already exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Well, the STO uniforms are based on the countdown comics and I think they turned out pretty well
We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalavier View Post
It hasn't been offically cleared up, but if you look at it... In the hobus system, Remans there are tied to the groups in the Iconia system, which are working directly for Romulans.
Yet it would still be nice if they had their own ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
The Remans don't have the resources to build that kind of stuff currently, except now for the breakaway faction and their new base. So, having them using appropriated Romulan ships makes sense.
I'd have thought the Reman resourceful, especially with their exploits during the Dominion War. You'd have thought they'd have acquired varied technology and resources that they'd managed to keep from the Romulans. Suffice to say, I don't think you're giving them enough credit. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestrekker
I believe it was me who was mistaken. I wasn't aware the True Way had any actual founders (changlings) or vorta with them. I thought it was a bunch of Cardassians that had begun cloning their own Jem Hadar. My bad.

Again, I assumed the Dominion Update was specifically to do with the returning Dominion ships, rather than the ones that already exist.
I understand and given the current situation it's perfectly okay.
For some reason Cryptic removed the timeline "The Path to 2409" from the game, whcih had a nice explanation of the important events of each year after "Nemesis" and it explained what was going on in pretty good detail.
The links are gone and the old bookmarked links lead back to the starting page so they're gone for now.
I've read somewhere Cryptic might just be doing something with "The Path to 2409"in the future, but I don't know what.
The information is still available here:

http://www.stowiki.org/Accolade/Lore

it's a good read.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.