Lt. Commander
# 21
02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taergon
Can anyone explain to me why the starfleet ships don't just warp passed the dominion fleet?

Space is so ludicrously big that a line formation they showed in that clip 'blocking' the path to DS9 in deep space doesn't really make any sense to me. If you think star systems are big, they are a grain of sand in the sea that is space and a fleet of ships is insignificant compared to a star.

I can't imagine how any battle could happen anywhere other than at a key resource/strategic position (i.e planets, space stations).

Why didn't the battle happen at DS9?
I imagine because any move to get around the fleet would be matched by the opposing fleet. The dominion can warp too. If the Feds move to warp around the dominion fleet, the dominion just matches their moves, blocking them and forcing the confrontation.

The dominion wanted this fight to occur AWAY from the station so that they could continue to take down a mine field without risk of interruption. Plus the dominion had the stronger attack force.

That's why.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I too am pretty excited for this to go live.

When it does. . . you should play in a close group with 4 other people, and stick together on the Promenade.

Actually, you'll probably want to stick together outside too. . .

At least for the first episode.

Yay!
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taergon
Can anyone explain to me why the starfleet ships don't just warp passed the dominion fleet?

Space is so ludicrously big that a line formation they showed in that clip 'blocking' the path to DS9 in deep space doesn't really make any sense to me. If you think star systems are big, they are a grain of sand in the sea that is space and a fleet of ships is insignificant compared to a star.

I can't imagine how any battle could happen anywhere other than at a key resource/strategic position (i.e planets, space stations).

Why didn't the battle happen at DS9?
Because the Dominion has sensors as well. They were going to stay between the Federation fleet and DS9 and it is hard to get ~1,000 ships to juke around another 1,000+ ships. And it would be kind of pointless to have a fleet if it didn't have the ability to blockade an area.

But for all intents and purposes slipping by the enemy because space is big makes for boring television. The battle was planned before Season 5 had ended. All the episodes prior to Sacrifice of Angels was merely setting up the battle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post

When it does. . . you should play in a close group with 4 other people, and stick together on the Promenade.

Actually, you'll probably want to stick together outside too. . .

At least for the first episode.

Yay!
Bah!

I intend to go in guns blazing alone with no real plan but what I make up along the way, never stopping, breaking my stride, or dropping below full impulse.

Lt. Commander
# 25
02-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I plan on migrating my slower ships to DS9 on Friday. That way I don't have to waste their already meager EC balance using the transwarp. My larger ships are either the Excelsior or the Odyssey. Both of which can cover the distance fairly quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
So let me try this logic:

Dominion fleet pick a location to position themselves in empty space due to not wanting the fight to be near DS9.

Empty space is so incredibly vast that this fleet would be a tiny dot, so in theory flying somewhere else toward DS9 and completely avoiding them would not be a problem (and not really involve much of a course deviation).

However, in flying around, the Dominion fleet would then detect the move and give chase...which is tactically bad? So instead starfleet fly right up infront of them and duke it out to make a slight gap in their lines so their ships can get through to DS9.

I still don't really get the logic. Is flying up to a fleet twice their size really better than trying to leg it to DS9 with that fleet in pursuit?

Essentially it is down to this:

Quote:
But for all intents and purposes slipping by the enemy because space is big makes for boring television. The battle was planned before Season 5 had ended. All the episodes prior to Sacrifice of Angels was merely setting up the battle.
However it is nice to try and rationalise it in the trek universe as well
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:

I've got my entire away team decked out in MK XI sets. The Jem'hadar won't know what hit them.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
hubba-hubba.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
You shameless tease you (and if that's what you did yesterday - great work)