Lt. Commander
Lead Ship Artist Adam Williams talks ships in a new Outpostgamez interview. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
1. As you are aware, at this moment our ships dont move up the rank tree with us, (many have indicated they wish for their ship to upgrade with them) could we we see a refit or upgrade or the ability for a ship to migrate?

This is something many fans want and many devs also want this but we have to maintain the importance of retaining IP. For example, I dont know if we can have tier 5 Connies flying around owning Borg cubes.
You can already do that with the T2 connies if you have high end gear and know what your doing. So what we currently have in game right now completely contradicts that reasoning.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Cool interview, especially the last part. Though directed energy weapons wouldn't have a recoil effect. Jeri Ryan also made that mistake when she first started to play Seven of Nine:

Quote:
"I hate the phasers," she growls. "They're so anticlimactic. It's really depressing. I was so excited last season because I had this episode where they gave me this big phaser rifle and told me to come out of the turbo lift and shoot these guys. So I walk out of the turbo lift and I'm like 'ugh, ugh, ugh' (acts like she's shooting people). But they were like, 'Uh, no, it's a phaser, there's no kickback.' I just went, 'Aw, come on, you can't even pretend there's a little kickback?'"
- Jeri Ryan Interview.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Interesting article, but does not give much for insight to the future of STO. It has nothing to do with CaptnLogan, but maybe the questions asked.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to break it to you, but you can already do that with the T2 connies if you have high end gear and know what your doing. So what we currently have in game right now completely contradicts that answer.
I hate to break it to you, but a T2 Connie with Mk XI gear is still a T2 Connie, and not a T5 Connie.

*not that I am in any way endorsing the idea of T5 Connies.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I hate to break it to you, but a T2 Connie with Mk XI gear is still a T2 Connie, and not a T5 Connie.
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I never said it was. However, he is using the logic that it doesnt make sense for a connie to be able to own a Borg cube. And if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game.
I understood what you meant! It does not look good for the higher rank connie but it would be nice if they built a new 25th Century one that was gold plated or something. If there was a market for it in teh 25th Century I am sure some ship designer would start to work on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPG: Exclusive Interview w/ Artist CaptLogan
I want to carry forward with making +1 versions of all ships, especially the Sovereign. I want to make new variants in the 2409 style until every ship has one. I also want to master classic Starfleet style ships in the way that I think Mark Rademaker has. Hes awesome.
Is this the contradiction you were taking about? making +1 versions of all ships"?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Cool interview, especially the last part. Though directed energy weapons wouldn't have a recoil effect. Jeri Ryan also made that mistake when she first started to play Seven of Nine:

- Jeri Ryan Interview.
Actually, energy weapons *would* have recoil. Photons carry momentum. The full Energy-mass equation is E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 .

But I guess the directors on Star Trek didn't know that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Actually, energy weapons *would* have recoil. Photons carry momentum. The full Energy-mass equation is E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 .

But I guess the directors on Star Trek didn't know that.
The point is though CapnLogan wants it to be more like the IP. Since we never saw recoil in the IP from directed energy weapons firing, then there's clearly some component in them that stops recoil from happening.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
So I hope this means Logan just hates Twitter-drama and is still working happily for Cryptic?

/shedding a borgyfied tear for the lost tweet-leaks. :p