Lt. Commander
# 41
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
It took me about 3 to 4 days to hit max level back at launch. Probly would have done it quicker except the servers were constantly crashing. I think one thing people don't remember from when it was "slower" in STO, there were HUGE gaps between missions. You'd have to go grind out several levels on fleet actions, pvp or patrols to get to the next story mission every few missions. Now that there's finally enough missions to see a person from start to max, I think that's fine.

What I think they should focus on now (aside from bug fixes) is alternate methods of leveling. Different paths than the single linear play every mission in order.
I agree very much with this
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
It took me about 3 to 4 days to hit max level back at launch. Probly would have done it quicker except the servers were constantly crashing. I think one thing people don't remember from when it was "slower" in STO, there were HUGE gaps between missions. You'd have to go grind out several levels on fleet actions, pvp or patrols to get to the next story mission every few missions. Now that there's finally enough missions to see a person from start to max, I think that's fine.

What I think they should focus on now (aside from bug fixes) is alternate methods of leveling. Different paths than the single linear play every mission in order.
Yep, I agree with this assessment.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I definitely liked the old leveling speed more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
Yes, 70 sounds more realistic.
Leveling speed has too many variables. There's no "realistic" estimation unless you are only trying to hit the cap as fast as possible and know the best ways to level up.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
You don't know memebers of my gaming Guild (we started in EQ and have done pretty much every major MMO since in some fashion, although in STO, only 5 remain and we no longer have a formal Guld setup here in STO as none of us who remained were the Guild Leader type - but hey, we all found other Guilds in STO and I'm liking TOS Veterans Fleet a lot here in STO); but anyway:

The first two level 50ies in our SWToR Guild (and not power leveling or spacebaring either - just via focused play) hit 50 in TOR in about 25 hours of play.
Yep, sure they did not power levelling or spacing baring? I doubt it very much.

As you have not mentioned, how long did it take them to level in STO? 30 seconds?

I understand why your saying it though keep it up.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-09-2012, 01:52 AM
This game has enough content that you could make the Xp per level atleast 4 times it current amount!

I mean there is ALOT of content.. leveling aint everything, it's just a perk..

* unlimited Exploring missions, (ok more variations needed)
* PVP, (Daily pvp missions)
* Gathering Anomalies for Crafting, (game aint finished until maxed out)
* Ability to replay missions.
* Accolades that people dont do, (some give decent bonuses or passive abilites)
* ESC's (game aint played until every Enemy Contact is done)
* Patrols (game aint played until every Patrol is done)
* STF's, and so on.

so there is enough content to make each rank harder,
so like
2 Million XP for Rear admiral LH
3 Million XP For Rear Admiral UH
5 Million XP For Vice Admiral

with killing a same lvl say Mogai = 1000XP or something.

missions or content should not take you from level to level there Should be some work in between like exploring and XP from crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Wow, that's a lot of response

As expected, peoples views differ greatly on this subject. Some people really like the fast leveling, other (like me) don't.

For me the fun is in the leveling, not so much the end game. It's the road traveled, not the destination that counts to me.

I understand the "need" to not have people stay in the first rank for too long. I too wanted a better ship then the starting cruiser and didn't want that to take weeks. So maybe the problem is not so much in the rate at which you gain xp, but the amount of xp it takes to get to the next rank. Getting to Lt. Commander should not take too long, but getting to Commander should take longer. And getting to Captain should take longer then that. Etc... That way players don't stay at Lieutenant too long, but becoming a Vice Admiral actually means something. When I started I really wanted to get my hands on T5 ships, they looked amazing to me. But now I know how little effort it takes to get one, they kinda lost their shine, if you know what I mean.

Well, that's just how I feel. I know many people just want to get to VA as fast as possible and only do end game stuff. That's fine, but why have a leveling system at all? Just ask when you start a new character "what rank do you want?" and let the player select VA. Done... There's not much of a point to leveling now, except as an extended tutorial...

I'm just wondering how much longer I will play the game, after i get to VA and have played all the episodes, I don't think there's much to it for me. I'm not much of a PVP player so.... I'm much more a RPG player anyway. A game I've been playing for years now is *********. Even after 7 years, I still love that game and every level I gain feels like I accomplished something. That's kinda what I'm missing here.

Anyway, for now I love playing STO and I still have a lot of episode missions to do (still in the lower half of the romulan front), so I will enjoy myself playing STO for some time to come.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Cheers and happy gaming!
elloco
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Your missing something.

This game is based on a TV series that has major focus on ranks. Other games are not.

Lt Commanders do not fly around the Universe blowing *%$% up in trek but being a game we can't avoid it. I don't think the trek community who play the game want to be hanging around at lower ranks long, being the Commander who saves DS9 and all that no thanks.

We want to be Captains.

That is where Cryptic got it seriously wrong though didn't they. They went and added the Admiral ranks out of pressure to delay people hitting the big wall created by Q I guess. They could have let us rank fast, as fast as we currently do for Captain rank. Then used the Vice Admiral rank as a much more serious and rewarding rank which takes far longer.

That way the average player would be Captain ranked and a "Captain" of their ship.

Vice Admirals would have access to a lot of goodies but getting there would be no quick thing. If I was working on this game I would have this sorted like yesterday. They would make a fortune by selling items that help people reach VA quicker and for those reaching VA reward them with things like cross faction items and 600 c-store credit stipend.

Getting to VA could require the entire doff system to be ranked say 3, 4th rank being what gives really cool bonuses. That would take long enough, we wouldn't be seeing a lot of Vice Admirals and those players who want a slower ranking process would have get what they want. I'm not saying it would be all based on the doff system.

Captain too VA could be a jump from about 300,000 XP too 1,000,000 without any more points being spent on skills or at least not the full extra 700,000.

If I thought Cryptic would do this I would beg them. There isn't a player I've spoken to who doesn't think VA rank should be hard to obtain, a hardcore STO player thing.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Leveling is too fast, simply put. It diminishes the gameplay experience. You level so quickly, you don't even get a chance to finish all the storyline missions by the time you hit lvl 50. After that, there is no incentive to even finish the storyline missions, even if they do have good stories. It has reduced the meaning of them, plus, it has reduced the meaning of owning gear at each level. With leveling so fast, you end up not spending resources on gear at each level, and just wait till RA to gear up properly.

The meaning of everything has been reduced. Then, you get to 50 so fast, and find out there is no more content. With such a content light game, why rush to get to the end? It makes no sense at all.

Please Cryptic, dial back the rate of leveling, if not at the level it was when the game launched (which was great IMO), then at least a compromise, somewhere in-between then and now.
No thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlorian
This game has enough content that you could make the Xp per level atleast 4 times it current amount!

I mean there is ALOT of content.. leveling aint everything, it's just a perk..

* unlimited Exploring missions, (ok more variations needed)
* PVP, (Daily pvp missions)
* Gathering Anomalies for Crafting, (game aint finished until maxed out)
* Ability to replay missions.
* Accolades that people dont do, (some give decent bonuses or passive abilites)
* ESC's (game aint played until every Enemy Contact is done)
* Patrols (game aint played until every Patrol is done)
* STF's, and so on.

so there is enough content to make each rank harder,
so like
2 Million XP for Rear admiral LH
3 Million XP For Rear Admiral UH
5 Million XP For Vice Admiral

with killing a same lvl say Mogai = 1000XP or something.

missions or content should not take you from level to level there Should be some work in between like exploring and XP from crafting.
With the level restrictions on ships, that just wont work. F2P players will want to play their cannon ships, and anything that makes that harder to get to will be a plus in the negative direction.

I still hate how long it took me to get to 50 playing casually(not till this past November). I missed out on so many great sales of RA and VC ships that I wanted but can now no longer afford.