Lt. Commander
So I just started playing for the first time today and after maybe 15 minutes of playing my pc went into sleep mode and wouldn't come out of it. I restarted it and tryed playing again with the same thing happining not 5 minutes later. I really have no idea why it's doing this or how to fix it so any helpfull tips on how would be greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2012, 11:31 PM
'sleep mode'?

Do you mean to say that your screen goes black (but you don't get the monitor's 'there's no computer connected' message) and your computer becomes unresponsive?

Does this happen with other 3D graphics games? Like say Crysis or TF2 or anything like that? Is your computer a desktop or a laptop?

There's nothing in STO that I know of that could possibly cause your computer to go into 'sleep mode', so there's only a few possibilities I can think of. Well, okay, just one really.

Your graphics card consumes more power than your power supply can supply, so your computer 'goes to sleep' until you reset it and attempt to play STO again. Something similar happened with my computer and Crysis, where the screen would turn black and it'd stop responding until I rebooted it.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about your circumstances to really say if this would be the case for you- so more information would be appreciated. (Don't go out buying a new power supply just yet, I'm always liable to be wrong)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
You are correct with what I mean by sleep mode. I haven't played any other 3D graphics games on this computer before so I don't know if the same thing would happen or not. As for the computer I'm playing on a desktop. I'm not really a computer wiz so when it comes to other helpful info on what I'm running, I'm not sure what else would be helpful and what wouldn't.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, I'd definitely suggest trying other 3D graphics games and seeing if something similar happens. If it does, then I think it's probably a power supply issue. Graphics cards suck up a lot of power, and while a PSU can be rated for the card while it's idling, when it starts rendering it can draw more power than the PSU can provide.

If this issue is STO specific however... I suppose it could be some sort of graphics driver crash. But it's fairly easy to rule that one out, and here's how: When your computer 'goes to sleep', do the capslock/numlock lights turn on and off when you press their corresponding keys?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2012, 12:05 AM
How are you temperatures.. if the CPU or GPU gets hot most systems will auto shutoff untill it cools down.. and STO is good for getting CPU's warm and so on. Same as CO..
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
So far all these suggestions are fine and dandy but has the OP checked their Power Settings in the Control Panel? If the OP is playing in windowed mode for example, some computers will go into sleep mode "thinking" that the computer isn't being used. It's worth a shot to check the power settings and ensure that sleep mode is deactivated. Truth be told, you should never turn off your HD shy of rebooting the machine, it's just not good for the overall health of the drive to keep it from running at all times while the machine is up and running.