Lt. Commander
# 21
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-de-Lyon
Well, what u r saying is that a skilled captain (i.e., knows where to put skill points, what consoles/gear to use and how to use it efficiently) can win from an underdog position, which seems completely in-line with the IP. We did see that the TNG and Voyager crews had enough ingenuity to cope with many "unreasonable" scenarios. The Maquis managed to use shuttles to beat Federation and Cardassian cruisers.

However, it doesn't seem right that it would be easy for a Connie to beat a Borg Cube. It's a smaller, slower and less advanced ship. It should be non-trivial (or even hard) to use it against high-end enemies.
None of that has anything to do with the point of my post. Logan is saying it doesnt make sense that a Connie could own a Borg cube, hence it wouldnt make sense to have T5 connies. Yet we already can own Borg cubes in our T2 connies. So if a hypothetical T5 connie owning a Borg cube does not make sense, an even weaker T2 connie owning a Borg cube makes even less sense.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Your not breaking anything to anyone, because I never said it was. What I did say, or rather imply, is that if he thinks it doesnt make sense for a hypothetical T5 connie to be able to own a Borg cube, then it makes even LESS sense for a T2 connie to be able to do so. And yet, that is what we currently have in game. So trying to argue that a T5 connie blowing up Borg cubes doesnt make sense is contradicted by the fact that we can already do that in T2 connies, which are even weaker than a T5 connie would be.
Lets be honest Grand Nagus, if we are talking true IP asherence here - without some sort of technobable tech; it doesn't make sense for ONE Federation or Klingon ship to be able to take on a Borg Cube (at any level) and win.

Thus the arguement itself iseither flawed or moot at that point with regard to that aspect of the current Star Trek IP.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Lets be honest Grand Nagus, if we are talking true IP asherence here - without some sort of technobable tech; it doesn't make sense for ONE Federation or Klingon ship to be able to take on a Borg Cube (at any level) and win.

Thus the arguement itself iseither flawed or moot at that point with regard to that aspect of the current Star Trek IP.
Logan is the one who brought up owning Borg cubes, not me. I'm simply discussing what he said. If you think his argument is flawed, tell him.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Intersting the CapnLogan is going to do more environmental art again. On one hand, he's done such a good job with the ships that we've been spoiled by how excellent many of them look - hopefully the new guys will continue to take pages from his playbook. OTOH, if he can do to environments what he's done for ships, it will only improve how the game looks, and that's a benefit for everybody regardless of ship or even faction.

Here's to hoping for HUGE planets that actually spin on an axis and look genuine. It will be like going from old TOS to remastered TOS
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-de-Lyon
I think the main problem is that u hit invisible space-walls and have these annoying popups there, not to mention the loading screens.

I always assume the areas between sector blocks are void space, and that each sector block is a local patch in the 3D configuration of the territories (which is why u can jump from klingon space on the bottom to the defery or romulan ones on the top of the map).

A simple solution would be to fade-out the sector block when u reach it's border, and then give u an option (not a popup - just an additional button like the "enable/disable astrometrics" one) to jump over this to reach the "next" sector block. Otherwise, you can "fly around" in the void while the destination SB loads in the background and u eventually reach it when the loading is done. You'd still have SBs, but you'll also have a smoother transition between them.
I bet they could make that work.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
well this is good news, can't wait to see this, hope it does not take long. Especially the environment and the Sovereign Class and other ships.