Lt. Commander
# 1 For tumerboy - ds9
02-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Hey tumerboy.

Any chance you can fix the windows on the ds9 model so the windows have a light/glow source like the ships do.

Ta.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I thought they did already?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I thought they did already?
I thought you fixed the exterior already too but we seemed to get word that your fixes to DS9 won't go live until next week and won't be there for the first Featured Episode launch at all until next week sometime.

I know we were told the brown nebula would be there tomorrow, even in the mission maps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I thought you fixed the exterior already too but we seemed to get word that your fixes to DS9 won't go live until next week and won't be there for the first Featured Episode launch at all until next week sometime.

I know we were told the brown nebula would be there tomorrow, even in the mission maps.
I have a feling any specific DS9 maps used for the FE series will have the sky file updates. Probably the general DS9 zone map won't get updated until the next big patch day (usually Thursdays); but, I guess we'll all see for ourselves tomorrow what changes made it in this week, and what hasn't yet..
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-10-2012, 09:45 AM
They really need to make the big patch days tuesdays... if you get my meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
No I'm pretty sure it was meant just the non-FE Maps would still have the brown nebula.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Currently on holodeck the windows on ds9 are a dull and not lit up at all i.e white that shine like windows on ships do etc. Not sure if you have done any updates to them but i knew you were updating ds9 in general here and there so i thought i would ask while your doing ds9 to look at the windows on the outside of the model and make em light up like the ships do so there not all dull and brown/yellow looking as it currently is. Reason i ask is because in st legacy pc game ds9 had unlit lights and we modded the textures so the lights were applying a glow map to them so they lit up and it looked soo good afterwards. Think the same for ds9 in sto would be good too.

If you already have done so tho, any chance of a wee peak at the new windows glow?

This is from st legacy after applying or say fixing the glow map for the lights. Dark map was probably used to highlight that they worked.
http://startrek.alexraptor.com/images/ds9glow3.jpg
http://startrek.alexraptor.com/images/ds9glow.jpg

This is from sto as it is at the mo. While some lights look lit there nothing more than a bit brighter color for the windows it doesnt use any form of glow maps like the ships at all and the windows that look there look drab and dull brown windows or somit. Them lights should be shining instead like ds9 i linked u to above.
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3890/ds9insto.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5297/ds92.jpg

Which is really lacking texture wise and maybe mesh wise too (ds9 in legacy glows were just a tweak its still the same textures and model as shipped with the game just the glow for the lights turned on editing a textures alpha map and fixing a coding error in a script file. Shame ds9 is no where near as nice as the one from st legacy but well you have been working on fixing it up so im sure you did some nice updates which i cant wait to see. Hope its like the st legacy games version more now when we get to see your updates.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
They look to be glowing (even in your example shots) to me? What am I missing here?
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Well if you cant tell what a texture without a glow filter applied to a texture with a glow filter applied then i cant help you. To me it looks like the windows on sto ds9 is just a texture with no fancy glow light filter over the windows so they appear lit and bright. This is the issue and is very clear in the pictures.

http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.p...bloom_and_glow

Glow map shows what im on about incase your confused. All the lights on ships use glow maps (i think) which makes them glow when its dark. I would like ds9 to do the same by having all the windows used in a alpha texture so the game engine can apply a glow map to the lights so the lights glow when its dark so they stand out.

Edit - I did notice that in the FE screenshot below that the windows do have a glow map on them (only a walking on ds9 map not external flying map tho) but as it is on holodeck now when flying around ds9 the lights dont glow like this as it appears no glow maps are used the windows look lit just by pure texture with no filter applied to make em glow. Maybe you have adjusted the windows internally that hasnt made it to holodeck yet but i dont know because of the way you are talking in this thread it seems you probably havent done this work to the lights for the windows.

http://www.startrekonline.com/dyncon...e4_screen1.jpg

Also any way you can make it more grey than light orangy/brown would be great. As you can tell in the pics from previous post it looks far nicer in grey which is cannon compared to what sto has it set at a sort of light brown color. Should be easy enough to fix with photoshop too. Probs lowering saturation in the texture map would be enough.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure why you insist on talking to me as though I've never worked in 3D before . . .

DS9's windows do in fact glow. On/Off
The Material has been the same since April 2010. No changes have been made, hence my initial lack of knowledge on the subject. I hadn't touched the materials, and thus didn't know anything specific about them. I do now, and can assure you, the windows do have a glow map, and do in fact glow. The above images were taken by temporarily modifying the material file to remove the glow, then restoring it.

The DS9 studio model, used in the show, was painted in a desaturated tan.
Our model is also painted a similar shade/hue of tan.

Your personal interpretations of how YOU feel DS9 should look are noted, but you are not the art director on the project, and while I appreciate your feedback, I will not be changing things upon your whims.