Lt. Commander
# 21
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Good ot see the year of no content, year of fail, etc come to an end with real content tomorrow...then we'll have the reoccuring 6 months of fail.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Is the nickname "Old Man" supposed to be ironic? As near as I can tell, most of the hosts appear to be women who die young.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle21davdson
That may well be true... We could see an offspring of Ezri (And Dr Bashir, I presume)? There are other examples of famous offspring in-game. (Spoilers : Kirayoshi at Memory Alpha, Gul Dukat's daughter etc.)
Ziyal died on DS9. she's not in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-of-Nine
Ziyal died on DS9. she's not in the game.
No... Dukat had other children. And an illegitimate daughter on Terok Nor to a member of the Pah-Wraith cult. One of them appears in the Cardassian Episode in-game. The mission takes place in the fire-caves, but I can't remember the name.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Covenant_(episode)

http://www.stowiki.org/Mission:_Cage_of_Fire
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Guys and Galls, Dax was never referred to as "the old man" in series and neither was she in the books i've read.

Sisko called her "Old Man" in referance to the male old Trill Curzon Dax the symbiont was joined to when Sisko met Dax.

So this referance must be to some one else. The ones in the Defiant in the episode "sacrifice of angels" and the fact that the guy's in Starfleet Core of Engineers makes O'Brian the most likely candidate.

Dax is certainly not the one being referred to
Lt. Commander
# 26
Nice background story, made me want to watch that DS9 episode again. Definitely excited about tomorrow. I just hope this means we're getting a new quadrant to explore.
Lt. Commander
# 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevn
If it is Dax, I doubt it will be a Dax we know...
Because of actor likeness rights, it will definitely not be Erzi Dax.

ETA: "Old Man" is a common slang term for the commanding officer. It might be a bit too biting to apply it to, say, Admiral Leonard McCoy, but it would not be unusual for someone in Sisko's command to refer to *him* as 'the Old Man.' Though not directly, of course. So 'old man' could refer to anyone.

I think the likely explanation is O'Brien, who is apparently now head of the SCE, and could certainly be called 'Old Man' by his people.

.. Man, I wonder how Smiler feels about what happened to his Mirror counterpart?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuZige View Post

Guys and Galls, Dax was never referred to as "the old man" in series and neither was she in the books i've read.

Sisko called her "Old Man" in referance to the male old Trill Curzon Dax the symbiont was joined to when Sisko met Dax.

So this referance must be to some one else. The ones in the Defiant in the episode "sacrifice of angels" and the fact that the guy's in Starfleet Core of Engineers makes O'Brian the most likely candidate.

I completely agree,

C'thal could also be referring to their father or grandfather "Old Man" is a common term to refer to ones father/grandfather.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
IThe 'old man' is he who was Chief Miles O'Brien back in the day (2374) as it were. As to whether they'll have the character make anactual appearence in the FE - I doubt it, as this is (nicely written) companion fiction to the story we're about to play through over the necxt 5 weeks (IMO).

But either way, we'll know more for sure tomorrow (Saturday - 2/11/12.)
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuZige View Post

If we were talking canon I would agree with you, but this seems like an obvious hint being dropped and Dax was on that ship at that time. "Old Man" was constantly used by Sisko when referring to Dax, and although I don't think it would be Ezri, with the CBS connection, it may have to be if they don't want Ezri killed off for a new symbiote.

Based solely on my gut feeling and Cryptic's past hints, my money is on Dax.