Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykotion View Post
which characters were voiced by STOked members?
Kurland was voice by Jeremy (aka J-man aka Borticus). I believe that Chris voiced Hadron the Ferengi in Quark's Bar.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Wow, Chris did a good job then, I couldn't actually tell it was him. Jeremy... Well he's got room for improvement. I liked how they had Staas speak English layered on the Gorn language, just like in ENT with Slar.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2012, 08:45 PM
You have to understand that most of the voice acting is done by Cryptic staff, not professionals, so don't expect Off Broadway quality. As far as the gestures are concerned, that seems to be a staple in video games, I've seen worse.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Kurland was voice by Jeremy (aka J-man aka Borticus). I believe that Chris voiced Hadron the Ferengi in Quark's Bar.
Really, that was Chris? The Ferengi voice was excellent (so good I actually laughed). More short/random, incidental character dialog like that for characters would be great IMO. Even when it's repeated dialog I think it's a lot better than nothing (if done well).

Of the rest, if I'm honest the only ones I was a fan of were Caption Shon (perhaps a slightly cheesy character, but was well voice acted and I liked the character anyway ;-) and our Gorn friend from Klingon Empire (slightly odd audio post processing background noise there - could have done without that - but I the effort put into the voice acting was good).

If I'm honest, I was not a fan of the Deferi or Cardassian voices in this episode (and if I'm going to be critical, I might have visually styled our Cardassian Ambassador a little differently too). I agree with other posters that the Cardassian voice came across as a bit hammy. The Deferi voice felt really grated with the character I felt (but by all means could work well on another character, mostly a casting issue really).

I didn't mind the Tellarite voice per se, but I have credibility issues with Tellarites full stop (not a fault with STO). I didn't feel his voice particularly fit the character, I guess I'm expecting a more distinctive character acted voice like the Gorn voice, when it comes to a such a distinct race like the Tellarites, it was still a reasonable effort though.

Edit: squiddude: Oh is THAT was was going on with the Gorn voice? Haha I fail for bailing on ENT :-) In that case extra bonus points for coolness on that VO!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus92 View Post
You have to understand that most of the voice acting is done by Cryptic staff, not professionals, so don't expect Off Broadway quality. As far as the gestures are concerned, that seems to be a staple in video games, I've seen worse.
when the topic over user-generated voice overs was brought up, one of the devs mentioned that sound quality would be an issue and that even their remote voice actors that they hire ie NON-Cryptic staff that they HIRE must go to a studio to record their work.

As far as the gestures, this comes to mind: http://stanmonorail.ytmnd.com/
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Why is EVERY VO such a horrid performace...sorry Cryptic, just my opinion...and others...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
well, without doing more animation work, I think they were limited by what Emotes they could trigger, although the couple of times I saw the Khaan! emote made me chuckle, that did seem out of place.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-11-2012, 09:20 PM
From what I've experience, the voice acting in STO is on par with the voice acting in SWTOR (which is allegedly the "big daddy" of VOd MMOs atm).

So all in all, good ob. Can't expect them to funnel millions into it, and as someone pointed out: ANY voice acting is better than no voice acting.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Indeed, and TOR's voice actors are all professionals voice artists. So it says a lot that the Cryptic and STOked crew holding their own.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indelible View Post
From what I've experience, the voice acting in STO is on par with the voice acting in SWTOR (which is allegedly the "big daddy" of VOd MMOs atm).

So all in all, good ob. Can't expect them to funnel millions into it, and as someone pointed out: ANY voice acting is better than no voice acting.
Are you sure you're talking about the same TOR as the one I play when not playing STO?

TOR's is much higher quality than STO's. And...in all honesty...I think STO is better off without VO of this current quality.