Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Can you imagine what those authors could do if they had the same cutscene tools and perhaps an automated VO system that turns text to voice?

Oh dear lord yes, this!

Im getting all giddy at the prospects
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Can you imagine what those authors could do if they had the same cutscene tools and perhaps an automated VO system that turns text to voice?
I will be honest. Being a Foundry author has spoiled me. I walked away from this feeling like it was just "okay." At launch, this would have seemed like the best thing ever.

The thing is, I'm starting to reverse my position on the Foundry. Frankly, I think there's 30 or 40 of us so good that it must be demoralizing at Cryptic. I mean, they spend 5 weeks on this?

There's nothing here that should have taken more than 10 days, tops, to produce.

Seriously, to toot my own horn, play my "Yesterday is Tomorrow." That was a mission I made while you were gone, Kirkfat. That has hours worth of optional gameplay. It took me between 7-10 days. Now, imagine it had a designated environment artist.

I dunno. I'm a bit jaded but it feels to me like two and a half weeks and I could blow away the stuff it takes Cryptic 5 weeks+ to do.

I just don't get it.

And if they feel the same way, it worries me that they'll give up on releasing "official" storyline material when that's what I really want out of STO as a player is an evolving, official Cryptic game canon.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
The time it took to release this has a lot to do with the negative feedback. It just seems so unpolished and rough for an official mission that has been worked on for a long time. Didn't Dstahl say he was play testing this before he left as EP months ago??

I hope they update the Foundry with more tools, and they seriously need to feature Foundry missions at least once a month.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
The other issue is; only Cryptic can further the story of STO, so the need for them to release consistent and "regular" content is really needed. Otherwise it'll either just drag on or stop completely. While I'm sure the Iconians will somehow be involved with releasing the Dominion fleet from the wormhole, it would be nice for the powers of the Alpha and Beta quadrants to start acknowledging their involvement and wrapping up certain storyline elements.

At no point were they mentioned in this latest episode, you'd think with the Borg/Undine conflict being stirred up by them it would've been a nice point to raise during this conference. The Borg are only the beginning, once they weaken all of the major powers even further, the Iconians will step in and take over. That should, at the very least, have been put on the table.