Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Ill also say that the point of the conference in the mission was to unite factions to a common enemy. That is very star trek indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razius07
I think Sisko says it best when he describes that Earth is seen as Paradise, a perfect clean society where there are no wars, no illness, no famine, no hardships. But the truth in the big blue is that there are wars, and nasty species that would rather eviscerate your planet you than talk to you, and illness, and starvation, pretty much what there is today.

You want bleak? Put the news on. ST is a fantasy yes, it is a escape from reality yes, but its not a childlike fantasy. It is very realistic in the fact that some places are great, and some are not so great. Its something that late TNG started (TOS did of course but... did not have the budget nor the special effects to portray it too well) and was carried through right till ENT. I like how ENT is gritty, taking those first tentative steps, making mistakes, learning the hard way. Okay the series as a whole got slated, and with due reason in some respects, but in many others it was as awesome as DS9 (my personal fave) ever was.

The plot of STO is a war with the Klingons. War is not generally that fun. There are fun aspects, and possibilities of a grand bright future, but not all can be the Eden that is Earth. Earth is small, its a tiny dot in the corner of a very big galaxy. Its highly likely there would be some "depressing bleakness" out there.
Star Trek is supposed to be about people, not what may or may not be out there.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-12-2012, 01:51 PM
It is true that TNG went way too far with the attitude that Humanity was so much better in the 24th century than they were just a hundred years earlier. In the first 2 seasons Picard could be insufferable at times.

However, in every episode, in every season, of every Star Trek series, (and the good Star Trek movies) no matter how dark the plot was there was always an underlining hint of optimism. There isn't any of that in STO. We are at war with EVERYONE, even with people that it doesn't even make sense to be at war with (Klingons). STO is just about kill, kill, kill, die, die, die, which is pretty common for a video game. But a Star Trek video game should have been different.

But I think the hopeless feeling in STO is a good indication of the sorry state of STO and the Star Trek franchise in general. The fact that the top brass in STO are predicting the fall of the Federation in 3 years, if things stay the same, pretty much parallels STO's and the Star Trek franchises real life situation. Other than the JJ reboot movie, there hasn't been a Star Trek movie or episode since 2005. STO went free to play in less than 2 years. It's almost like the STO writers are saying that if something doesn't change the Star Trek franchise will be completely dead in 3 years.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM
This game only has three years left , borg defeated or not.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
THAT IS SO DEPRESSING! 3 years??? Do you know how bad that makes things? That is all but hopeless. That is not humanity reaching out to the stars and evolving to the next level, it is our inevitable doom.

Now, I am not complaining about this one line, but I think it represents what Star Trek Online is thematically all about: we're at war WITH EVERYONE, we're killing and being killed, and we're doomed.
Except that we're the PCs, so we're inevitably going to win. Any talk in-game about how the Federation is doomed is just there to build tension so that our eventual victory feels cooler.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I agree with the OP but It is a game. They can create puzzle missions but those dont usually have the wide appeal. At the end of day, combat and action is what most people enjoy in game play and it is the game play design that is shaping the story.

The doff system allows for more connection to the random stuff we saw on the shows to be played out.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise. A depressing future filled with death and doom where the Federation and Klingon Empire are at war, and the Federation is losing.

Even the episode All Good Things has the Federation and Klingon alliance abolished and the two forces again adversarial; plus it has the Romulan Empire lost and conquered by the Klingons.

I'm not really seeing this future being much darker then those already portrayed in canon.
?

You really went with parallel universe episodes?

There's so much more to be said of DS9 itself. Interviews with the production staff about how they purposely designed the look and feel of the station to be darker. The story content of the actual episodes, delving into the terrorism on both sides of Bajor and Cardassia. The Dominion War. All of that taking place in the normal course of events.

Yesterday's Enterprise's alternate reality is dark to make it contrast with the warm, earth tones of TNG's bridge and its staff. Why would you pick that episode or All Good Things? Both of those episodes support the OP's point.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
Even during TOS, there's a famous line that was said quite a few times:

"He's dead, Jim..."
Good one.

Any time some one posts how we should all be delivering medical supplies to orphans or kittens to peace delegations I remember this awesome dialog from DS9.

"On Earth, there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in paradise, but the Maquis do not live in paradise. Out there in the Demilitarized Zone, all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints just people. Angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with Federation approval or not!"

Out side of earth there are real problems, and all the well wishes of long life and prosperity are not going to solve the problems going on in the STO universe. If you want to save the world in this game without blowing stuff up go play those aid the planet missions that don't give you rewards any more.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
yep. And that is wy i can't play a starfleet person. i play KDF. Because this isn't star trek.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Yesterday's Enterprise's alternate reality is dark to make it contrast with the warm, earth tones of TNG's bridge and its staff. Why would you pick that episode or All Good Things? Both of those episodes support the OP's point.
Both of those episodes support the idea that even 1 small thing going wrong can change TNG's utopia idea in an instant. Of course DS 9 and Voyager pretty much blew the utopia idea out of the water, but since TNG was the most watched series I assumed people would better understand those examples over something from the other two TNG era series.

Ultimately, though, the real answer is that STO is an MMO, not a TV series or single-person game. For MMOs to have PvP you need opposing Factions, thus it makes more sense for the Feds and Klinks to be at war. Also, MMOs are almost exclusively based around action, thus you need constant conflict and battle to make them fun for players. That's not to say ships shouldn't surrender before getting blown up but ultimately destroying things is just a standard MMO trope. There are more dedicated MMO players in the world then there are die-hard Trek fans. The players need to be appealed to more then the Trekkies do. And finally, CBS liked the idea and said yes; and that needs to count for something, IMO.