Lt. Commander
# 11
02-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I think the voiceovers add a great deal to the immersion of the story. And the people that audio people aren't slowing down content releases because they are in seperate areas as the art teams. The only thing that would slow down regarding the voice overs are those who are used for the voice overs themselves.

The only complaint I could have regarding voiceovers is the inability to skip them. (Hey, after repeating the mission a couple of times, in getting accolades or items, it can get annoying. :p)
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
I wish the voice actors would dial down the hamminess just a bit. The moment where Loriss's voice completely changes to add unnecessary menace to the phrase The DOMINION was goofy, though. I felt Obisek's voice actor's performance was well done - and as a DS9 fan myself, I think that it would have been better to take cues from Jeffrey Combs's performance of Weyoun on that show and stick to a bright and cheery attitude than to go in for over the top unrestrained villainy. So mark me down for giving these voiceovers a passing grade so far. We'll see if it improves or not. If the VOs can be elevated in quality then I think they're a great way to make the featured episodes feel more important. If it continues feeling super cartoony at times, then, well... I'll vote for cutting them off. Fantastic as the Trek universe is, from time to time I want it to feel real. Some of these characters' voice actors either unintentionally or were directed to give extremely over the top performances that messed with my immersion a bit.

I didn't mind Surah though, I thought he did quite well.

Also, I support a "skip dialogue" button after I've played the level once.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
But when he says that it's realistic to only expect 2 FE per year, it implies that ~6 months of work are needed to finish one.
He states right in the post I linked to that it takes the team about 2 months to do a FE series "with full focus." In the Dev Diary Steven said the plan was to get 2 FEs out this year, and possibly a 3rd if he can fit in on the schedule.

When it comes down to it the STO team is still only 25-30 people. They're working on various weekly things, a new Klingon Mission, some special event things, and working on the Season 6 updates coming in about 4-6 months; plus slowly trying to fix bugs and deal with high volume server strain.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do more Mission - I have been hounding about the lack of Missions for over a year - but I understand that everyone wants something and they feel they need to try and give a little bit to multiple things needed.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
But when he says that it's realistic to only expect 2 FE per year, it implies that ~6 months of work are needed to finish one.

I understand that they are also working on other aspects of the game as well, but even assuming it only took ~3 months to create this FE, can you honestly tell me that it seems like a reasonable amount? Again this mission should not have taken more than 1-2 people a week at most to make, (excluding VO work) given the appropriate tools.
This is what I was thinking too.

Aside from the new conference room and Doff mission integration, this FE doesn't have anything that couldn't have been done by any Foundry author - in way less time (and with far fewer bugs most likely :p)

The only other thing would be the voiceovers, which are heavily used compared to previous FEs.

Again, if this is what is slowing down producing official mission content, please Cryptic, don't try to compete with SWTOR in this area - you can't do it. The vocal actors are terrible, the animation syncing is horrrible, and the effort to try and get this to work would be much better spent on other things.

Short voiceovers here and there are fine - especially for cutscenes, but to try to do what SWTOR has done with only a fraction of the budget and staff is actually working against you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Chris at STOked has been sayin this for a while, what Cryptic needs to do is hire some people to make Cryptic official Foundry Missions. Use the tools there, take a few people, and make awesome Cryptic official foundry missions, in which they can get done a LOT faster than FE's. Don't stop doing FE's of course, but this will fill in the gaps between FE releases.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It did not take 6 months. No one had been working on it for months. Feel free to read the following post by Steven D, which he made in December: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...0&postcount=63
Your source isn't exactly the strongest in terms of credibility.