Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCliff
Can you tell us which versions of the nVidia driver you were using? Which one was broken, and which one did you go back to where it worked?
On my system with a GTS250 STO works in DX11 mode but aside from the visual issues/ bugs with Cryptics reder port it's performance is far worse than with the DX9 mode.

Latest Nvidia beta driver (295.51)

btw, can you guys implement FXAA into STO? It would be nice way working around whatever stuff you have had problems with gettin AA to work with all effects in your DX11 renderer and also neat for a lot of systems which can't really use traditional Antialiasing for performance reasons and a ncie addition for ppl who could combine the two methods.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2m...lMzMx&hl=en_US

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/20...date-soon.html
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methesar View Post
some ppl don't seem to get that.
And you don´t seem to get the difference between true hardware acceleration and software emulation that Dx10 hardware "running" Dx11 offloads to the CPU and the hopefully not too buggy drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
And you don´t seem to get the difference between true hardware acceleration and software emulation that Dx10 hardware "running" Dx11 offloads to the CPU and the hopefully not too buggy drivers.
You got that mixed up a bit there also you totally misread my post. DX11 has a fallback, it's not software emulation of any hardware features, get ur fact's straight.

Quote:
Direct3D 11 runs on Windows Vista and Windows 7. It will run on future Windows operating systems as well. Parts of the new API such as multi-threaded resource handling can be supported on Direct3D 9/10/10.1-class hardware. Hardware tessellation and Shader Model 5.0 require Direct3D 11 supporting hardware.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11

Wenn man keine Ahnung hat,...
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
You got that mixed up a bit there also you totally misread my post. DX11 has a fallback, it's not software emulation of any hardware features, get ur fact's straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11

Get yours straight too (from your own post):
Quote:

Hardware tessellation and Shader Model 5.0 require
Direct3D 11 supporting hardware.
^^^
What this means (if you do not have a DX11 hardware native card) is:

-Some features may disoplay stragely, OR the software in question may run everything in a DX10 (or even DX9) compatible mode - which will lessen overall performance (or cause other issues) you would not see with a true DX11 hardware supported card. Also, be aware that even the earlier wikipedia article you quoted states that the API can support DX11 feature in earlier cards it's up to the programmers of the app making use of that API to actually do that for non- DX11 hardware cards - and they may or may not do so; as it requires extra coding and testing time.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
.. muss man sich eben informieren. Is scho recht.

BTW we´re still calling each other names about two different things.
You´re talking about the API and it´s parallelization features (which are still most effective on DX11 hardware only BTW) and me about the actual DX11 GFX features.
But that discussion would needlessly derail the thread even further.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Get yours straight too (from your own post):

^^^
What this means (if you do not have a DX11 hardware native card) is:
You too misread my post. I didn't state hardware DX11 features would be available to DX10 hardware, in fact I explicitly pointed out limitations but also how DX10 hardware can still make use of some advantages the DX11 API has to offer (also quoted, but you chose to leave that out).

Quote:
.. muss man sich eben informieren. Is scho recht.
Vielleicht auch mal daran halten.

Quote:
BTW we´re still calling each other names about two different things.
You´re talking about the API and it´s parallelization features (which are still most effective on DX11 hardware only BTW) and me about the actual DX11 GFX features.
But that discussion would needlessly derail the thread even further.
No in fact you misread my posts but kept insisting to know it all better without checking again (what I wrote and what the facts are), fine with me but you added nothing of value to this thread and only tried to be a smart *** and derailed the thread.