Lt. Commander
# 1 Using the Music Player
05-14-2011, 02:47 PM
How do you use the music player and make playlists for it if possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglerx
How do you use the music player and make playlists for it if possible?
The music player is just a way to access your iTunes or WinAmp stuff in-game. To use it, you first have to set up the player under Options, Audio... it's one of the last settings on that tab. What it does is run WinAmp or iTunes in the background. Once set up, you should be able to access the in-game interface by using the command "/music".

You can't select what playlist is playing through the in-game interface though, so make sure the playlist you want to hear is lined up. From the current playlist you can play, pause, skip to the next selection or select the previous selection, and adjust volume. When playing audio from the music player, the in-game default music will mute, replaced by your music. If you switch maps, the music player interface will disappear, but it's still working, and you can call up the interface again by using /music again.

It's also a little wonky in that you may have to re-setup the music player each time the game patches or iTunes or WinAmp patches. The setting will be the same, but for some reason if any of the programs involved patch, it can't seem to recognize it until you re-set the whole thing up again (the interface will come up but the controls don't function, and if your player is already playing music, the player doesn't "see" it). To fix this, go back into your Audio Options and select "None" for the player, hit the "Apply" button at the bottom, and then re-select the player you want, and hit "Accept" again. This should load up your player in the background again, and should be good until something else patches.

EDIT: although you can set up radio stations to play in iTunes (like SubSpace Radio, for example), the meta data info doesn't pull up right, so the name in the in-game player will look weird, like "?ert5zyz" instead of whatever is playing, but it still works.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I never had to reset anything but I just use the /winamp instead of /music.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Is it possible to use Windows Media Player instead of iTunes or WinAmp to use the ingame music player? I don't have either and don't really want to get either. WMP usually suits my needs and i wondered if their was a way to use it?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
You CAN run Media Player in the background, and turn the games music off, but that's about it for Media Player. I felt the same way about Winamp, until I downloaded. There's no reason really to go back to mediaplayer when you have it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-02-2011, 02:57 AM
that music player is a useless feature, should be removed or extended into other media players like real, MPC, WMP, Quicktime or whatever else out there and the whole thing should be more interactive.

like the last poster mentioned, i use WMP in the background as well when im bored enough of the STO tracks.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Useless except to those of us that use it, you mean?

Don't remove it, some people do use it. It's not hurting those who don't.

Some updates would be nice, so we don't have to bring it up repeatedly, or to have it update track info better, but honestly, it shouldn't be a very high priority compared to other issues.

(Personally, I think fixing the duplicate boff issue on bridges should be higher priority than it currently is...that sort of thing, while minor, is pretty bad for immersion, and will give a bad impression to the new players when F2P hits.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2012, 05:53 AM
does it only work with certain winamp versions? cuz when i click play on it. it doesnt do ****.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by power_coupling
does it only work with certain winamp versions? cuz when i click play on it. it doesnt do ****.
First select the application you want to use under Options > Audio.

Then:

For Winamp: you need to have Winamp running first (start the application in windows and select a playlist), and then you can use the in-game controls.

For iTunes: the game will start the application but you will still need to set the playlist in iTunes outside the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
When you already have global hotkeys, it seems a little redundant. The in-game visual for track information is nice, though -- it's too bad the music player part of the UI doesn't stay on the screen whenever you transition.