Lt. Commander
# 111
02-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think you're confusing Zeronius (Kirk fangirl) and Kestrel.

If there's a TOS bias, I think that comes from further up the ladder.

Keep in mind, Al Rivera dished recently that they had established Trek writers prepared to get involved but
the established writers wanted the whole game to follow their story.
I stand corrected, thanks.

Although I generally agree with Al on this one, I hope they will eventually allow for a bigger core writer group.
Ideally to supervise and collaborate with all of the excellent foundry writers they can get to finally give STO that "content explosion" it so badly needs.
Lt. Commander
# 112
02-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Well I basicly sypathise with the OP.

I still really really HATE that stupid backtracking in form of a sensless and badly setup KDF/Fed war, them beeing enemy is HISTORY, no matter what that badly written "path to" thing says.

But other things, the current FEs mentioning of a defeat withing 3 years through the Borg.... thats something I like.

I mean Star Trek turned the Borg into a joke a while ago. Its not STOs fault.... Its was Voyager. The last SFDebris review prety much remindet me of that.

There was a long way from "Best part of both World"s Wolf 359 where a singel Cube erased a whole fleet almost without beeing slowed down to "uniumatrix Zero" where Janeway not just decides to attack a cube... no... she decides to attack the kind of ship the Borg send when a Cube is not enough and start meaning serious business... a tactical cube.... and after the first confrontations its not the Voyager beeing damaged... no the Borg a licking wounds.

The idea of the Borg conqering the Alpha quadrant withing 3 years adds at least a little threat to the Borg the really really need.
Lt. Commander
# 113
02-14-2012, 03:42 AM
"Elements" of the federation and 'houses" of the kdf can be the enemy, rather than the fed and kdf governments.
The federation and kdf fighting a war when they KNOW there is other elements playing them is stupid.

I have been saying this for years.....
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
"Elements" of the federation and 'houses" of the kdf can be the enemy, rather than the fed and kdf governments.
The federation and kdf fighting a war when they KNOW there is other elements playing them is stupid.

I have been saying this for years.....
Hey, Staran. I don't know if you noticed but as long as you have the mission "Second Wave" in your log, you can do all your business at DS9 without seeing a soul.
Lt. Commander
# 115 I loved Cosmos
02-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Having recently rewatched Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series, it was interesting to see how the commentary of the show highlighted the tensions of the Cold War. I'd speculate that TV and other media throught history has echoed the state of global affairs at the time it was written. While combat and conflict does help with the fun nature of flying a massive Starship around where you can fire your phaser banks and torpedoes, the conflict within STO may also be a subconscious reflection of our view of humanity at this hour.

Great thread btw...
I wish they could update it once more to fit with new findings in astronomy, but it stands with Star Trek in terms of inspiration about space, the final frontier.

STO is in a kind of limbo though. We're at war with almost everybody. But we're not completely at war since Klingons walk the halls of DS9 now.

I'd like to see STO tackle the transition from where we began to where we're going. Do we ever make peace with the KDF? Do the Iconians ever get dealt with in a satisfactory way? Do we ever find out what happened after some of the storylines? Do we have moral dilemmas to deal with and how does the human and other races deal with these changes? That's the stuff that I think Cosmos and Star Trek can get us to think about.

Good to see you back, sir.
Lt. Commander
# 116
02-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Having recently rewatched Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV series, it was interesting to see how the commentary of the show highlighted the tensions of the Cold War. I'd speculate that TV and other media throught history has echoed the state of global affairs at the time it was written. While combat and conflict does help with the fun nature of flying a massive Starship around where you can fire your phaser banks and torpedoes, the conflict within STO may also be a subconscious reflection of our view of humanity at this hour.

Great thread btw...
Get some sleep, capitain! Welcome back.

Also, one way to deal with this is to think about progressing the story, especially if you're going to need to more heavily instance anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:

Great thread btw...
*facepalm

Or, it could just reflect the lack of creativity to tell people to do something besides kill 5/5 bad guys in a mmo.

But, no you are right. The mushrooms of Super Mario Bros. reflected our cultural anxieties about nuclear fallout.
Lt. Commander
# 118
02-14-2012, 06:32 AM
You know what this feels like?
This feels like the alternate Federation from "Yesterday's Enterprise."

We're all still a part of the Federation, but a Federation harried by the constant specter of war.
In this universe we carry utility knives on our belts,
we again fight the Klingons,
Captains go on away missions carrying assault rifles,
we sit around and discuss the merits of our vessels as battleships and how long they can hang in a firefight,
we wear slightly different uniforms, we fly old ships desperately retrofitted to fill gaps in the fleet...

...and behind it all looms the secret spoken only in classified briefings; the Alpha quadrant will fall into ruin within 3 years if something doesn't change.

Seem familiar?
Lt. Commander
# 119
02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I wish they could update it once more to fit with new findings in astronomy, but it stands with Star Trek in terms of inspiration about space, the final frontier.
They are updating it. It'll be out next year.
Lt. Commander
# 120
02-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I'd like to see STO tackle the transition from where we began to where we're going. Do we ever make peace with the KDF? Do the Iconians ever get dealt with in a satisfactory way? Do we ever find out what happened after some of the storylines? Do we have moral dilemmas to deal with and how does the human and other races deal with these changes? That's the stuff that I think Cosmos and Star Trek can get us to think about.
I think they should split the KDF.
Hear me out.

Make a new second hub for the KDF, and split the empire in civil war.
Half want to side with the Federation against the Borg, and split off under Worf as leader of the empire.

The other half remain loyal to the current Chancellor and the war against the Federation.

You get to pick a side when you finish the early KDF missions.

Both shards have access to the same content, it gives KDF vs KDF PvP more meaning, and it allows us to justify 'peace' with the Klingons.

If/When the Romulans come along, do the same.
Some Romulans want to sue for peace, others are out for blood.