Lt. Commander
Hi guys, need some help here.
I'm totally confused and getting completely stressed over this one mission.

Mission: The needs of the many'
So apparently I'm meat to go out and give aid to some needy planets. But ok... Delta Volanis Cluster....
There is no planets!! It's JUST ANOMALY'S O_O however ya spell it... I'm tired of this quest. So I had an explore and found planets to land on, with computers to scan and atmousphere to fill with my characters awesomness - but tbh there was a ton of space to fill and no planet!!
And when I did land on a planet I was never given to option of any kind WHATSOEVER to prance up to them and give them aid! (Instead I ended up falling in love with the little missions and did nine of them, NINE OF THEM! o_o) So I looked on the map 6 times just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, when In fact might aswel had been.

Because there is no planet on the map.
The mission tells me to go exactly into the Delta Volanis cluster, it describes to me how to get to the Delta Volanis Cluster, BUT NOT TO THE PLANET O_O! I'm still looking at the map now!

I tried asking people but it looks like they are just as clueless as I am, I even bonded with somebody in our own pit of anger and confusion.

I havn't felt this confused since Michael Jackson died. But I bet even he had some kind of hint, maybe he could have even danced his way to the planet - BUT WE WEREN'T EXACTLY DANCING O_O we were too busy pressing M then thinking we were somehow related to president bush because we felt THAT stupid!

Please please help , I beg you STO forums!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenKazooie
Hi guys, need some help here.
I'm totally confused and getting completely stressed over this one mission.
Please please help , I beg you STO forums!
The Delta Volanis (and similar) areas are essentially an area where randomly generated missions can be found and crafting material can be harvested.

You cruise through an empty space and see only "anomaly" points.

When you approach one closer than 0.40, you either can scoop up crafting stuff ("Scan" option) or get a random mission ("Explore" option).

Now, SOME of this missions are of the "aid the planet" type. In my recent experience, I'd guess something like 1 in 10.

The other 9 are just plain vanilla exploration missions of various types, for which there is also a quest where you need 3 to get a pack of 75 exploration marks.

So - to finish the Needs of the Many quest, you keep doing those until you hit an "aid the planet" mission. (you see that when you entered the mission map).
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
My newest character spent more than an hour in Delta Volanis to find an Aid the Planet mission. Horrible. Why not change the quest to function like the diplomatic investigations, your first system after accepting the quest could be a guaranteed Aid the Planet mission.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
My newest character spent more than an hour in Delta Volanis to find an Aid the Planet mission. Horrible. Why not change the quest to function like the diplomatic investigations, your first system after accepting the quest could be a guaranteed Aid the Planet mission.
I agree, that would be the best way to do it.

Currently it's really hit or miss. Some of my new characters get an Aid the Planet mission on their first try. Others have to fly around for an hour or more looking for one.

I can totally see how this would confuse new players.

Lt. Commander
# 5
05-16-2011, 08:37 PM
There is one dirty trick - hit up that Diplomacy guy (I forget his name) for a diplomacy mission, go to whatever exploration cluster he sends you to, and you'll get a button to do the diplo mission as soon as you enter the cluster. Since diplo missions are all non-combat (or supposed to be...), that'll increase your chances of picking up an "Aid the Planet" mission.

Otherwise, don't sweat it - it's not part of the main storyline and isn't required for anything. It's really just a "pointer" mission to get you into exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Well I take it this is still a problem then?

I've been flying around in DV for about 2 hours; done about 5 missons, found Dilithium, rescued researches and fought the Kilngons in-space and on the planet below (the planet one was wierd, couldn't see a thing, was it meant to be that way or a bug / graphics problem?)

So do I give up, or keep going?

I've already "purchased" my Constiution Class Starship; I'm an Lt. 8 so not long till I'm promoted now. I have my Duty Officers, all I'm missing is a Tactical Console for my Bridge Officer.

I thought the game was great when I started it a few days ago, now I'm not so sure.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwigonejim
Well I take it this is still a problem then?

I've been flying around in DV for about 2 hours; done about 5 missons, found Dilithium, rescued researches and fought the Kilngons in-space and on the planet below (the planet one was wierd, couldn't see a thing, was it meant to be that way or a bug / graphics problem?)

So do I give up, or keep going?

I've already "purchased" my Constiution Class Starship; I'm an Lt. 8 so not long till I'm promoted now. I have my Duty Officers, all I'm missing is a Tactical Console for my Bridge Officer.

I thought the game was great when I started it a few days ago, now I'm not so sure.
Don't get frustrated. You are seeing a part of the game that have evolved to a strange state. The Aid the Plane missions are rare. It may be sometime before you get one. So don't get hung up on trying to complete it NOW. Why? Well read on and I'm explain.

"Needs of the Many" is an introductory mission to a type of exploration mission called "Aid the Planet". They are a type of Diplomatic mission. I assume the design was to appeal to the player like some type of trade type missions. They went through a couple of revisions. First was adding commodities into the Replicator on the ship. And second to offset the Energy Credit cost of doing the missions and to provide some incentive, a token of friend ship reward was added. A token of friendship was essentially a level appropriate random space items. Green quality mostly, but small chances for Blue or Purple quality items. And they added Diplomacy XP rewards as well. When the Diplomacy system was added to the game.

Because of those changes, the missions were made rare. With the conversion of the game to Free-To-Play, the removed the token of friendship rewards. I assume it was to get more control over the economy and availability of higher quality items. And the Diplomaxy XP rewards under the Duty Officer System are exceedingly small.

But this issues are being (or will be) addressed. Heretic is loking in revamping the Diplomatic XP the PvE Diplomatic missions give to be inline for the Duty Officer system. Revamping exploration is something on Cryptic radar.

Bottom line is if you want to drop the "Needs of the Many" mission. You won't miss anything. You can always come back and do it again in the future. You can completely ignore "Aid the Planet" missions if you want to. You aren't required to complete the first 3 systems you come across in Exploration Cluster missions. You just have to complete 3 of them.

But if you start getting heavily into the Duty Officer system, that can help your with "Aid the Planet" missions. I keep stocks (50+ at Vice Admiral level) of all of the commodities to handle various DOFF assignments especially Trade assignments. When I hit an Aid the Planet mission, I almost always have the right commodity on hand to complete the mission. And I'll stop by a broker to replenish my commodities if I run low.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
There is one dirty trick - hit up that Diplomacy guy (I forget his name) for a diplomacy mission, go to whatever exploration cluster he sends you to, and you'll get a button to do the diplo mission as soon as you enter the cluster. Since diplo missions are all non-combat (or supposed to be...), that'll increase your chances of picking up an "Aid the Planet" mission.

Otherwise, don't sweat it - it's not part of the main storyline and isn't required for anything. It's really just a "pointer" mission to get you into exploration.
You only get diplomatic investigations when you hit Attache. Otherwise, he basically tells you to quit bothering him.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
[Silently he unholsters the [Zombie Control Sniper Rifle of Epicosity Mk XIV], shoots and vaporizes this Zombie thread!]

This thread was raised from the dead (after no posts for 30 days or more) and it had to be put down.

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread raised from the dead just report it and avoid posting in it.

Lastly remember that you're more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic!
Cheers,

Alecto
Closed Thread