Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Crafting yourself some consoles or kits are ok but really nothing else is horribly worth it for what you have to spend on unpreplicatable materials.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I would rather just buy whatever I needed with energy credits. It is so much easier to make EC than dilithium, that IMHO it's ultimately faster and more effective to just buy off the exchange, especially considering you don't need to bother with data samples either. I went to craft my Mk XI field generator during one of the 20% off times once and even then I was so taken by "sticker shock" (you want HOW MANY unreplicatable materials!?) that I just went to the exchange and purchased one for EC.

Crafting "for profit" really seems like a waste of time now too, since in order to do any meaningful crafting, you will need to spend so much dilithium on crafting that you will never make back the appropriate amount of EC.

Thanks to Cryptic, crafting is another IMO dead game mechanic, badly in need of an overhaul.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
Crafting "for profit" really seems like a waste of time now too, since in order to do any meaningful crafting, you will need to spend so much dilithium on crafting that you will never make back the appropriate amount of EC.

Thanks to Cryptic, crafting is another IMO dead game mechanic, badly in need of an overhaul.
It's not only crafting "for profit" thats a waste. Doing anything "for profit" is a waste. The economy is shot.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ok, so I did some calculations. I made a spreadsheet with all of the mean prices of the data samples. I think I can get to 1500 crafting as of now (Lv 32), Ill wait though since I cant even use the gear yet. I dont usually use the exchange, but people are selling 10 samples for 1500. I just stocked up on about 200 of those.

Ill rank up crafting for Aegis alone. If I were to buy full Aegis, it will be Over 5 million EC. Dilithium isnt a problem (yet) Since I do the borg missions to top off my exp for the next level. I do campaign, then 1 or 2 borg mission.

Im getting the feeling that i can probably sell Aegis gear for millions and just buy the rest of the Mk X++ weapons with that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprodimus
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ok, so I did some calculations. I made a spreadsheet with all of the mean prices of the data samples. I think I can get to 1500 crafting as of now (Lv 32), Ill wait though since I cant even use the gear yet. I dont usually use the exchange, but people are selling 10 samples for 1500. I just stocked up on about 200 of those.

Ill rank up crafting for Aegis alone. If I were to buy full Aegis, it will be Over 5 million EC. Dilithium isnt a problem (yet) Since I do the borg missions to top off my exp for the next level. I do campaign, then 1 or 2 borg mission.

Im getting the feeling that i can probably sell Aegis gear for millions and just buy the rest of the Mk X++ weapons with that.
It does not take long or alot of dilithium to get to the 1500 points needed, I did it in a few hours spread over a couple of nights. Spent some ec though, buying the mats to speed up the process, since I sell many of my mats each night to make ec.

The worst is the uncommon materials you need to buy at 1000 dil a pop (you will need 54 000 total i think for aegis). I have crafted the shield so far but dilithium is the issue right now, kind of wish I saved up a bit more dilithium before starting but im at max level and will get it eventually, just hindered by the daily refine and time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Crafting Purple Mk XI gear costs more Dilithium than simply buying Purple Mk XI gear from the Dilithium Store. Don't forget that crafting also requires you to skill up and use other anomaly loot, so crafting costs vastly more time and currency than simply buying the same gear.

It's not worth the effort to level up crafting. Best save the money and time by doing missions for Dilithium and buying the few things that you require off the Exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I have one toon who crafts. The rest sell the pieces parts on the weekends for 100/unit for the commons and 5000/unit for the rares.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm a recent return to STO, so I don't have as much experience with the system as others.

However, in my opinion, crafting is really only worthwhile until Captain level, and for me has only been a way to outfit my alts with "starter" and "mid-level" gear.

Tying dilithium into the crafting system is a bad choice on the game's part, I think, because there are already piles of dilithium sinks. Also, IMHO, the pricing in terms of Uncommon and Common Unreplicatable materials is extremely high to the point of completely dissuading me from even bothering. Yes, you can craft during the event, but they seem to be placed at wonderful times like 6am, 2am, or 3pm (my time zone, of course). Even then, 20% is a large discount compared to the whole, but you will still be grinding a LOT of dilithium just to craft one nice item.

You can buy unreplicatable materials on the EC; Uncommon Unreplicatables tend to go for about 80k (with some fluctuation). Considering some of the cheapest items require 18, you can quickly do the math and realize that crafting isn't exactly an easy way to get gear.

Keep up on your story missions, and at 46 or whatever, start the Breen line. Get that set as starter gear. Then once you hit cap, start doing normal STFs - its far more convenient and easier. You can easily save up enough to get the borg set, then start working on the MACO or Omega Force sets. Along the way you will pick up some tokens that simply GIVE you an item from a set, though that is rarer. Plus, at the end of the STF you get dilithium and some non-set drops that you might be able to upgrade with.

All in all, I think the game should divorce dilithium from crafting somehow; perhaps by creating a new rare resource that can only be gained through gathering (and maybe critical successes on certain DOFF missions).

Sadly, I do not think that will happen, because it would not be a blatant cash influx.
Lieutenant
# 19
08-01-2014, 08:16 AM
As a recent started in STO, I thought I'd bump this thread with my thoughts

I've only just started crafting, and it seems like the most epically pointless thing ever. I gave it a go when I first started and quickly realised the crafting rate just couldn't keep up.

I'm Vice Admiral on my first char and already have a majority of XI/XII gear, with a fair amount of that already being purple gear. It's taken me a few weeks to get to this stage, and I've been T5 for less than a week.

Crafting, quite simply, is too slow compared to ranking. In every other game I've played, there have been three ways to get better gear as you progress
1) Find it from drops, usually keeping your gear at your level 'baseline' - eg when you level up, you quickly get a basic set of suitable, simple gear for that rank. You also get one or two cool badass items

2) Crafting, to both make money and fill in any gaps in your drops, and make one or two extra badass items

3) Exchange/shops, using money made elsewhere in the game, to get the rest of the badass items for your level

As you progress, you get some of each of the above, which then gets out-dated as you level up, rinse repeat.

In STO, you get a free set of basic gear with each level (new ship + weapons), and find some new stuff with drops. That's all perfectly normal. But it's completely impossible to craft new stuff at anything resembling your rank progress. I'm level 50 and only just starting to make tier XI weapons, what's the point?

Crafting just seems to be an extra side grind, like reputation, to slowly grind out some special gear after months and months of nothing. There's no problem with games having this type of side grind, it gives 'lifers' something to aim for and achieve after a long, long time playing. The problem is that we already have the reputation system for this... what's the point in having two? We have two "grind for months for amazing gear" crafting systems, and no "make yourself some new stuff as you progress" crafting system.

I think what most players actually want is a proper way to craft, without this weird chaining of items, and without it being months and months of producing crap until you get a handful of excellent items. Crafting once you're a high crafting level seems to make sense, but the actual journey to get there is tedious, useless and entirely unhelpful during the early stages of the game.

At the simplest level: By the time we can craft things worth having, we don't need them any more.
Captain
# 20
08-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Can't bump topics this old, per the forum rules.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Closed Thread